There's "A Summer Place" . . . But Not on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Shawn Cornwell, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Shawn Cornwell

Shawn Cornwell Stunt Coordinator

As another season changes, another summer goes by without the release of the once-daring 1959 classic soaper starring the iconic (on-screen) teen couple of the era, Sandra Dee and Troy Donahue.

Given the important role the film played in establishing both Dee and Donahue's popularity with audiences, as well as the memorable score Max Steiner composed for "Place," it's disappointing the film hasn't seen the light of day on DVD. Hopefully Warner's will whip up a nice Special Edition DVD (how about a dual Dee/Donahue documentary?) before those summer nights roll around again . . .

2. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

I had heard months ago that this film was due in early 06. How about a box set to include Rome Adventure, Susan Slade, etc.

3. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Well, Shawn, I love A Summer Place for a different reason: the love story between Dorothy McGuire and Richard Egan, which I find more compelling. From the first time I saw this film I found myself rooting for the characters of Ken & Sylvia- their story of lost lovers having a second chance reminded me of The Magnificent Ambersons, but with a much happier ending. And who can forget the marvelous performances of Arthur Kennedy and Constance Ford as the unpleasant spouses, respectively a brutish drunkard and a prudish bitch- they should've been up for Oscars! Without a doubt it's the best of the Delmer Daves canon at Warner Brothers. Where are the DVDs- I want Parrish, Youngblood Hawke, Susan Slade, and Rome Adventure!!!

4. Porter Faulkner

Count me in too.[​IMG] A Delmer Daves Box Set would be a great idea. A SUMMER PLACE, PARRISH, SUSAN SLADE, and ROME ADVENTURE
    Apart from dealing with ground-breaking issues for their time, these films were beautifully crafted and looked gorgeous as well as big earners for Warner Bros. Some of their stars were easy on the eye too.

5. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Yes, LONG OVERDUE FOR ALL OF TROY DONAHUES FILMS !!!!!!!!
    ESPECIALLY
    "A SUMMER PLACE", "PARRISH", "ROME ADVENTURE", "SUSAN SLADE", and "MY BLOOD RUNS COLD"

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

just curious if anyone has heard anything more about this.
    also- anyone know if Dee was ever approached to particiapte on any material related to her films before she died?

7. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

Warners owns all the major films by two great looking stars - Troy Donaue and Tab Hunter.
    Most of the Tab Hunter films have not been on TV in years.
    I would love a bosx set to include The Girl I Left Behind, Lafayette Escadrille, The Burning Hills.