There's a spider in my RPTV!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Clinton McClure, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    For the past two weeks there's been a small spider on the back side of my RPTV screen. It was down near the bottom, but has recently relocated to the middle of the screen. How do I get it out? It's really hard to watch a movie because my eyes keep fixating on this spider-shaped shadow on the screen. (Imagine the crystalline snowscape of Hoth with a spider about the size of a ballpoint pen tip looking out at you.)

Would one of those ultrasonic pest repelling devices work or am I going to have to try to take my screen out to get to it? I can tap on the screen protector and it moves it's legs but that's about it.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

It sounds like it is in the front - a relatively easy job, ha, ha, ha.

You didn't mention your make or model, but there is usually more than one screen on the front, and you can't screw the picture up by taking the cover off, removing the critter, and putting it back on.

A quick guess would be to find some screws on the bottom of the screen, or even inside your control panel. Then pull the bottom out, and if necessary, lift the whole panel up and take it off. This might be a good time to clean everything off inside too. The mirror and lenes, but you should probably go to the hardware section for that.

On the other hand, if you have the Spidey DVD, it might be fun watching it with an extra (uncredited) cast member. [​IMG]

Glenn

3. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

That happened a couple times to me, except with a fly. It would keep flying in and out, back and forth in front of the screen. Really annoying to try and watch anything that way. I figure he eventually died in there.

Speaking of which, I had to kill a huge nickel sized (that's big around here) spider last night crawling across the floor. Ew!

4. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Don't you know that's how Web-TV (tm) was born?

[​IMG]

(old joke - from the Hardware Section, back when RPTV issues were discussed in the Hardware Section.

5. Clinton McClure

Clint
    Thanks for the replies. I have a Toshiba TW40x81 with the factory screen protector. The spider appears to be behind the actual screen material itself. I'll check the bottom of the front to see it there are any screws.

6. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Might be time for an ISF calibration/extermination session [​IMG] I wonder if the tech would charge extra for pest control?

I had a fly on the inside of my old Samsung RPTV for a few weeks, i just let him die and then tapped the screen. But a spider might hang around post-mortem.

Keohi HDTV used to have some nice diagrams of how to disassemble Toshiba HD RPTV sets for calibration, I'm not sure if they are still there:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...hiba_tips.html

7. Clinton McClure

Clint
    Ok, I took the screen bezel off and found the spider alive and well on the fresnel screen. He seemed pretty happy to be plucked off but wasn't happy at all about being crushed a second later. Looks like it was up to no good in there though. Where the spider was, there is now a tiny dimple in the fresnel. It looks like someone took a straight pen and poked it from the back through towards the screen protector. With the screen back on, I can see a white dot there when the tv is turned off. It doesn't show up when there is a picture on the tv though. I can live with that.

On a side note, while the front of the set was off, I cleaned at least 1mm of dust off the lenses. The picture used to look really good but a little faded or washed out; it's so much brighter now!!!!

I can't wait until I can get all my expenses paid down and get a ISF tech out for a full calibration.

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

How did you clean the lense? I wouldn't touch it with a cloth or anything, just a good blast of air from a camera lense cleaning bulb would do I think.

9. Clinton McClure

Clint
    I tried using compressed air, but it didn't clean all the dust off so I used a diaper cloth (very gently without applying pressure). This set had moved twice and been through a complete home remodeling with lots of sheetrock finishing and floor sanding. I put sheets over my equipment but dust still found its way into just about everything.

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Maybe I just flat out misunderstood you, you are talking about the lenses on the actual CRT Guns, right?
    If it worked, great, but boy I wouldn't touch those myself, I would get a pro.

11. Clinton McClure

Clint
    Yeah, the lenses covering the guns. At least that's what I'm guessing they are. There are three of them (in the ends of short canisters) and they have thumbscrews holding them to frames around the CRT bulbs. If they're not lenses, they must be some sort of lens covers. Anyway, they're clean and the picture is better than it's ever been.