What's new

There's a HUM when I connect my BFD!!! HELP! (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Well, I just received my BFD and hooked it up. But when I turn it on, there's a very noticeable hum coming from BOTH my sub and my mains. What can I do to correct this? It's extremely annoying!!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Crap, I meant to post this in the DIY forum. Oh well!

JamesMart

Agent
I had the same problem, you need to get a cheater plug from radio shack... this takes a three prong plug and converts it to two prongs. The problem is that the ground your BFD is grounding to has a different potential that a ground some where in you other HT components and the culprate is probably either your cable box, or sat box.

Thanks,

Jim

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
It sounds like its a grounding problem, possibly a ground loop. Unfortunately, this can be hard to track down. Try running a wire from the case of your receiver to the case of the BFD. If that doesnt help, see if you can flip the AC plug on one or the other around 180 degrees (i.e. make sure that both boxes are using the same load vs. neutral line. This should be standard, but you would be suprised at how often it isnt). If that doesnt help, its probably a ground loop. If it is, you may try making sure each box is grounded to the wall outlets ground pin (the 3rd pin), and disconnect the shields on your audio cables at the load end. If none of this works, you will need to dig a bit deeper. Im not familiar with the BFD, so I cound only guess. Good luck...

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Well, I just got back from True Value with an 89cent cheater plug, and it solved my problem!

Thanks for the help!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks