What's new

There's a cobra in my AVR! (1 Viewer)

MikeNg

Second Unit
Just sittin' there watchin' the news, and all of a sudden I hear this quietish 'hissssssssssssssss'. Looked at the misses, and she said 'hey, it wasn't me'.

Upon closer inspection it was coming from my speakers. OK, must be garbage coming from the local broadcast. Let's change the station and see if it's still there.

Still there.

OK, must be garbage coming from my cable company (THERE'S a surprise!). Let's listen to a CD or AM/FM. Still there.

Crap.

This hiss is persistent as long as the volume is above OFF (which is -80 on my AVR). Goes away if I mute it (er, that would be OFF wouldn't it?). It does not get louder as I turn up the volume, so it's not being amplified (this part perplexes me). It's POST amplification?

Changing the DSP modes do not affect whether the hiss persists or not. BUT, it does not occur when no surround modes are being used, so it seems to only be isolated to either the DSP section or the center channel amp section.

So what is the problem? This never happened before. The unit is a Harman Kardon DPR2005. Got rid of an AVR7300 for this, now I'm thinkin' that was a bad move.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
If you can do a full microprocessor reset, that might be the only recourse you have, short of going to the shop.

MikeNg

Second Unit
John,

Just from the center channel.

How does one do a 'full microprocesser rest'? Power down?

Secret keystroke from the remote?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm just from center? I'd swap speakers temp to diagnose, I think you blew a tweeter or mid range, most likely a tweeter.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Page 51 of your owners' manual -

Put the unit into standy. Hold down "Surround Mode Group" and "Tuning Mode Selector" for 3 seconds.

This will erase EVERY setting you've made, so write them all down or be prepared to calibrate again.

MikeNg

Second Unit
:b

I don't have much of anything configured, so this is definitely worth a try. Thanks.

Mike

MikeNg

Second Unit
Unit has been reset. Hiss is still there.

John S, I don't think it's a blown tweet/mid. If I bring up the volume (over the hiss noise) the music coming from the center channel is full range - no distortion/break-up like you'd here from a blown driver. Also, this occured during a quiet listening session.

I think there's some sort of defect with the DPR. A buddy of mine told me that this also occured with one of his customers. Me thinks HK might have a recall on their hands or at least a TSB.

Anything else worth trying before I ask for an RMA?

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Mike,
Do you like the sound of the 2005(besides the hiss) better than the 7300? I was thinking of switching to a 7300 from my 2005.

Thanks,
Dalton

MikeNg

Second Unit
It was difficult for me to really tell a difference. I guess that's a good thing.

On some material, I thought the sound on the DPR sounded a little compressed. Didn't have the same openness that I get with the 7300.

I like the 7300 - it's a good unit. It is a BEAST of a unit though. It generates a lot of heat also; must be all those discreet amps.

I went to the 2005 in hopes that it would perform equally as well with audio. The video upscaling was not a huge selling point to me, but it's nice to have. The 2005 definitely runs a lot cooler and quieter.

If only I can get it to stop hissing. :frowning:

I think I'm going to have to call HK about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks