There was early signs showing that SONY was ready to press "SUPERBIT DVDs"...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by YANG, Aug 23, 2001.

1. YANG

YANG Second Unit

I didn't know it until i take a closer look at the DIE HARD 2:S.E DVD...it was pressed by SONY(DVDLXXXX)!

2. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I dont see how this has any relevance to the Superbit DVDs. Not every DVD released by a studio was made by them. Warner Advanced Media Operations (WAMO) has done tons of DVDs for other studios like Universal and Columbia. The fact that a Sony factory made a Fox DVD isnt really that groundbreaking of news.

3. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Pressing, authoring and compressing are different things. Superbit DVDs could technically be pressed by anyone. What makes a superbit is the compression techniques and approaches used.
    -greg

4. ChrisA

ChrisA Second Unit

I think this is wonderful. I look forward to Superbit DVDs. I hope all studios do this! I would much rather have al the bandwidth possible going to the Video! It would be nice to have the higher DTS bitrate also.
    The perfect combo would be DTS at the highest rate and the rest going to the video. Amazing how much bandwidth you can save when you don't make a bunch of languages and commentaries available on the fly.
    ------------------
    Pictures: The Worm Hole Theater featuring the Black Hole Subs and Death Star Platform

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Don't forget that a high bit rate is only as good as its master source. "Awakenings" an early CTHV release, hovers around 7MB/s video. But it is far from a reference picture (it's not horrid, but it shows that there's more to a great DVD picture than bit rate).
    Hopefully the unspoken understanding is that to get the maximum video quality out of these SuperBit releases, they will be using Hi-Def sources from clean, restored (if needed) prints.
    Keeping my fingers crossed (will probably buy the 3 pack of Desperado, CTHD & 5E)...

6. MaxY

MaxY Guest

7. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I think this should be closed. The title is misleading and there are already other numorous threads discussing Superbit DVD's!