There once was a man from Peru....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Co, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Okay no idea why I put that as the title. I was just looking for something to attract people to my thread.[​IMG]
    I have just purchased a new HT setup to replace my ahem..bose..cough..
    The setup is as follows:
    fronts - Axiom m50ti
    center - Axiom VP150
    surrounds - Axiom QS4
    sub - Sony WM40
    I will be running them with a Sony STR-DE 545 receiver. I am looking to upgrade my receiver in the near future. I have noticed that receivers turn over quite frequently and my head is spinning with all the new models that are coming out. I am looking for something in the $500-$600 dollar range. I want to find something that I will not have to upgrade within a month. I know people can give me brand names and model numbers, but I would really like to know why you recommend what you do. If anyone has the time or inclination to help me out, I'll gladly buy you a BEER or 3
    [​IMG] If anyone wants to know the rest of the limerick lemme know.
    Jason

2. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

beer and a limerick???? No replies?? What more must a guy do here?

3. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Marantz SR6200 sounds great with Axiom speakers. It can be had for around $600.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hi Jason,

Tough crowd! Or they're all at the mall.

What is your listening ratio? Do you care how the Music sounds? If so, I recommend the H/K 320/520, Marantz 6200/7200...model dependent on where you source and the final cost.

In my experience Marantz is simply the best for Music period. H/K comes very,very close. I prefer H/K for HT over Marantz however. Again, very close. I own the 510 and prefer to run my towers Large in certain situations. The crossover flexibility with H/K is difficult to beat at this price range. Also, I prefer even the truncated version of Logic 7 to Circle Surround...just my opinion.

The amp staging in H/K is what makes me a diehard Harmon fan. Even though I'm currently externally amping the fronts and center, if something were to happen to my Parasound I wouldn't feel deprived in the least to go back to just the 510.

Good Luck.

5. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

I also have the STR-DE545 - it is now my computer receiver for games. Pretty nice and has 5.1 - no DTS though [​IMG] . It was my HT receiver before the STR-DE945 and now the fourthcoming Denon 3802.
    Buy that 3802 - it is a real nice deal for $699!!! And has full warranty.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Did someone say BEER? Where are you located? Peru is a bit far for me [​IMG]
    The H/K 510 has been replaced with the 520, which I am guessing will soon be replaced with the 525. Good choice if you can find a good price. My money is on Marantz also, mostly because I listen to more music. I have a 6200 and am very happy with it. H/K 510 was close, but I got the 6200 for less.

7. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Paul,
    I would probably say 80% HT 20% music. I am currently in the process of stocking my MP3 files to play them on my Panny CV52 so my music percentage will probably go up. Should I look for a receiver that has pre/pro capabilities in case I decide to go that route in the future? I don't know a whole lot about separates, but the wife will kill me if I keep upgrading at this rate.

Rodon- What games do you play? Two words for ya...SERIOUS SAM. Lemme know if ya play.

John - I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Maybe I can mail ya a frosty bevvie of your choice.

8. John Garcia

John
    The 6200/7200 and 520 have full pre-amp outs, and will have enough power for those speakers in the mean time. If you are really 80% HT, Denon is a good choice too. I listen to more like 75-80% music.
    Ann Arbor, huh? UofM? I drove though there last fall, nice town. You can send me a growler [​IMG] My fiance is a Spartan... [​IMG]

9. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Damn John and I was starting to think you were cool [​IMG] I saw this topic on another thread maybe you can enlighten me. If you run your component cables to your receiver then run the output to your tv (with a single cable?) you can change devices without having to adjust your tv (vieo 1, 2 etc.) If that is true I assume that is why the better receivers have so many s-video connections? Am I correct or making an ass out of u and me?

10. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

When I can drag myself from thr forums:

Mostly Neverwinter nights lately
    Also got Warcraft 3
    GTA3
    Freedom Force
    JK2 Outcast is fun multiplayer
    and of course Ghost Recon

11. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

12. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Angelo - we should play online sometime....I live for the cathedral! I play mostly Quake, Sam, Dungeon Siege, Wolfenstein...anything with killing basically[​IMG]

13. Angelo_Petralba

Jason-

I do a LOT of quake as well and Serious Sam.
    My handle for quake is either PINYOT or KUBE! My Serious Sam Handle is Serious Mike

Maybe I'll see you online one of these days..However, my playing times are usually between 7-10 PM PST.

Angelo

14. Jason Co

Jason Co Second Unit

Sounds good....Sam handle is Flex. Can anyone recommend a good site for reviews on receivers? Any opinions on the H/K AVR 320? How does it stack up to any of the aforementioned Denon products?

15. Angelo_Petralba

Jason-

How about a Sony Str-DA3ES. It can be had for about 600 dollars and since you are already a Sony Owner, it should be easy to get used to, unless of course you DESPISE the Sony line. I bet you'll be very pleased with the ES line. I know I am. (Str-DA5ES)

I also know that the harman AVR 520 can be had for just a little over 600 shipped and that receiver is Super!

There are also talks about the Denon 3802 selling for right around the same price point. The choices are up to you but with that kind of a budget, im sure you'll score an EXCELLENT receiver!

Angelo

Good Luck.

16. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Jason,

You could hit the lower-mid of your budget with the H/K 320 and be very happy...also the Marantz 5200. As you go closer to $600 I would shoot for 520 or 6200. Slightly over budget would be the 7200.

I know the 3802 Denon deal at 6ave.com is a steal right now but you'd have to extend the budget a fair bit. I also think the Denons are great for HT which would fit your profile. So, Denon 2802, Marantz 6200 or H/K 520 would be somewhere around the ballpark.

It appears John Garcia and I are fairly sympatico when it comes to these things. I'm also much more oriented to music than HT. Speaking of which, with the H/K 320 and the DAL 150 you'd have a perfect setup for MP3 play with much better sound and still be close to your budget. Something to think about.

17. John Garcia

John

18. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

Any remote that does macros should be able to change the video mode on the TV for you as well if you need it to be switched. Set up the DVD button to turn everything on if not on already and then to switch to the correct modes.

Now what I want to know is if I run component video in to the receiver if the 3802 will switch it to Svideo out for playing on my TV. Guess it really does not matter much to me since I could just use Svideo out of teh DVD player to the 3802.

Next TV WILL have component in/out!

19. John Garcia

John