"There Just Isn't Any Good Music Out There Anymore"...Oh Yeah?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bunn, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

May I suggest David Mead's "Mine and Yours". Terrific album. Amazon.com describes its sound as "deceptively breezy pop". That is a pretty fair description. I will go further and say that many of the songs on this album feature some of the sweetest vocals and melodies you will hear on any pop/rock album. Mead's voice reminds me of David Gates of Bread, from back in the 70's. The song "No One Left To Blame" could easily be mistaken for a long lost Bread song. Mead's sweet tenor voice, with an occasional falsetto, is a joy to listen to. The album has a good mix of uptempo tunes and slower ballads that holds the listeners attention throughout. All 13 songs are a delight, with not a stinker in the bunch. Just solid all the way through. As a further testament to the quality of this album, it is produced by certified pop genius Adam Schlesinger of the pop/rock group Fountains of Wayne.

Another fantastic album that very few have heard. The injustice in the music industry is way out of hand! This album needs a much bigger audience.

If you find yourself often saying to yourself "there just isn't any good music out there anymore", you may want to check this one out.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Sounds like my kinda disk Brian...I'll keep my eye out for it.

3. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Evan--Amazon.com currently has 6 used copies for sale for around $7. A serious bargain at that price. Why don't you click on over and pick it up. I don't think you could possibly be disappointed in this one.

4. David Rubenstein

David Rubenstein Stunt Coordinator

I picked this one up on ebay a few months ago for $2! It's a great CD. I would also recommend his first CD "Luxury Of Time".

5. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

$2!! Damn. What a steal. I need to start shopping at ebay for music!

6. David Rubenstein

I normally get my power pop stuff at Not Lame, but when I miss one (like David Mead), I surf ebay and I can usually find it.

The good (and bad) thing about these artists, is nobady knows about them. alot of these auctions end with no bids at all.

I also got the most recent Linus of Hollywood for $6.00!

7. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

David - Ditto on Not Lame. Great source for power pop and the like.

How is the Linus Of Hollywood? I have "Your Favorite Record" and like it...and have heard only good things about the new one.

What other good ones have you gotten from Not Lame lately, if I may ask?

8. Ed E Lee

Ed E Lee Agent

Actually I'm not Dave but Not Lame is great for stuff like this. If only they weren't out of stock of stuff I really want to get my hands on. I've never used ebay, but it may get to that if I'm left out as far as things I want are nowhere to be found.

I'll just throw in a few cd's I recommend:

Adam Daniel - Blue Pop (this took me a while to find)

The Davenports - Speaking of the Davenports

The Masticators - Masticate This!

Brad Jones - Gilt Flake

Yeah, I know there are more. Just this for starters.

Also got the Not Lame paper catalog in the mail the other day. Nice if you're not near a computer to read up on things they're selling.

9. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Ed--I have Adam Daniel and The Davenports...both excellent albums. Have heard good things about The Masticators and Brad Jones, but have yet to pick them up.
    I would recommend the following:
    Cherry Twister--At Home With Cherry Twister (one of my favs of all time!)
    Steve Ward--Opening Night (head man of Cherry Twister)
    (not sure if the above are available from Not Lame, but Amazon.com has them)
    The Waxwings--Low To The Ground (another of my favs of all time!)
    The Drowners--Is There Something On Your Mind
    The Mockers--Living In The Holland Tunnel
    Just to name a few...there is SO much great stuff out there!
    Also, you should check out Amplifier magazine at:
    http://www.amplifiermagazine.com
    $15 for 6 issues of 100+ CD reviews, great features, and tons of interesting independent record label ads. Great mag. Plus you get a free CD when you subscribe, with some very good selections to choose from. Check it out.

10. Ed E Lee

Ed E Lee Agent

Brian,
    Cool deal that you got those. I'm getting a little into the last cd's I got:
    The Nines - Properties of Sound
    Einstein's Sister - Humble Creatures
    Which I got at cdbaby.com and other ones which I haven't listened to yet.
    I'll match your Amplifier promo with the
    Audities Yahoo Group , which has alot of ppl in the power pop world, including artists, reviewers and just plain fans. I've heard of all the bands that you've brought up, but haven't pulled the trigger on buying anything. I may have some tracks as mp3's but it's more me getting to them than anything else. Like you said, there is a whole lot of great stuff out there.
    Waiting for International Pop Overthrow to grace the left coast again in the summer.

11. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Ed--Wow! We seem to have very similar taste in tunes! Well alrighty then.

Do you have Sugarbomb--Bully? I have read some very good things about that one. Plan on picking it up soon.

By all means pick up Cherry Twister, The Waxwings, and Steve Ward...all three are must haves in my book. And your book seems to read similar to mine!

I also frequent cdbaby.com. Great site.

Got the Not Lame printed catalog in the mail last week too, and wanted to buy just about everything in the friggin' thing! They have a knack for making everything they sell sound like something you can't do without. Which is what they are aiming for, of course...and they do a heck of a job. Great little record co.

12. David Rubenstein

Brian:

If you liked the first Linus of Hollywood, you'll like the new one. My current favorite is the new Eytan Mirsky (Was is Something I Said).

It reminds me of old Marshall Crenshaw, Any Trouble, Nick Lowe.

Pick it up if you get a chance!!!

13. Benjamin_L

Benjamin_L Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    I think I owe you a beer - David Mead is frelling incredible!
    I don't think I've ever been so taken with an artist since my high school infatuation with Sarah Mclachlan (though she's still a total cutey[​IMG]) The quality of this guy's songs and songwriting ability is fan-tastic.
    While I'm not aquainted with much else in the indie-pop scene, may I recommend the kick-ass, lyrical folk/rock of elliot smith (XO). Totally different vibe but very powerful.
    Gentlemen, in all seriousness.... rock on.

14. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Benjamin--Glad you are enjoying David Mead...it is a good one huh? Darn fine album. By all means check out Steve Ward's Opening Night and Adam Daniel's Blue Pop...both have a similar vibe as David Mead's Mine And Yours. Without a doubt if you like David Mead you will like those as well.

I have most of Elliott Smith's stuff. He is due to release a new album soon. Looking forward to that one.