What's new

There is something wrong with my right eye... (1 Viewer)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
When I woke up this morning, my right eye was hurting. When I go look at myself in the mirror, I notice I can't fully open my right eye. When I have my eyes open like any normal person would, some of my right eye lid is not where it should be as it's covering my eye. Here is an (awful) image representation of what I am talking about:

The orange is supposed to be my eye lid. And don't pay attention how one eye is bigger than the other one.

But why is my eye like this? What did I do to deserve this? It's spring break and how the hell am I supposed to pick up chicks when my eye is like this!?!?! Did I have an allergic reaction to something or did I bump my eye into something?

Please help someone as I'm a teenager and I need to look perfect 24/7! ;) :D

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Are you sure it's your eyelid? Something like that more often is a bleeding. Looks more weird on your eye than somewhere on your skin, but generally harmless (and gone within a week).

In case of any doubt, go see a doctor asap. This doesn't look like anything really serious, but it may need medical attention, and because it's your eye it's always to be considered acute.

Cees

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It could be any number of things, Chmiel. I wouldn't really expect that it's anything too serious though.

On the other hand, isn't that the same thing that happened to Letterman when his shingles started? :p)

Seriously, just go see a doctor, dude.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I had an infection of some sort in my eye a few months back. At the worst my eyelid was swollen and kept my eye about half shut. My doctor gave me some antibiotics and that helped, or else it went away. He said it could have been some kind of infection and it wasn't a big deal.

Is there a white spot on your eyelid? Sometimes I get a stye (or whatever its called). Its like a pimple around an eyelash. It'll cause some minor swelling and itching. Those go away in a few days usually.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Keith there is no white spot on my eyelid. It does however look a bit swollen near the eyelashes. There's no itching, it just feels a bit weird to make the eyelid move up.

Now did you go to a regular doctor or an eye doctor?

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew,

It sounds as if you might have Bell's Palsy. Bell's palsy is the sudden but temporary paralysis of the seventh cranial nerve. This nerve is responsible for the function of the muscles in your face. It is common for it to affect only one side of the face. The most likely cause is a viral infection. Most cases (75-80%) resolve w/in a few weeks but treatment (steroids, antibiotics) may hasten your recovery.

I second the above recommendations to see a doctor in order to verify the diagnosis and see if you are a candidate for treatment. I would also strongly recommend you see a doctor ASAP if you are experiencing pain in the eye/ear, drainage from the eye or headache.

In the meantime try to keep your eye moist if you can't close it all the way and avoid excessively rubbing the eye.

Ray

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, I saw a regular eye doctor. My problem seemed to be with the eyelid, and well I could see my doctor pretty quickly since he's right near my office.

Did you do anything in the past few days that might have gotten some chemical in your eye? Like could some cleaner or other chemical spray you were using get blown into your face? When I had my last problem my friend told me he once got some cleaning fluid in his eye and a day later it was swollen. Think hard about that because it could be an important clue for your doctor.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Ray, I don't think I have Bell's Palsy. I can shut my eyelid and I can open it. It's just that when I look in the mirror now, when my eyes are open, that my right eyelid is hanging down a bit unlike my left eyelid. As I mentioned earlier, my right eyelid also looks a bit swollen near my eyelashes.

Keith, I don't remember even being near a cleaning product any times in the past few days. The only thing I can remember that could cause any damage to my eye is on Friday, when my friend backed her head right into my face near my right eye which could've caused a black eye. But wouldn't I have already started feeling the effects of that the other day and wouldn't my eye turned blacked a few hours after that?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Is your eyelid sore? My first suspicion is a stye, but the ones' I've had have been painful. They can be on or under the eyelid.

Just go to your regular doctor and have it looked at. Chances are they will prescribe some Polysporin cream or another antibiotic, and that will take care of it. There is little point trying to guess what it is.

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, Matthew, thought you said in your first post that you couldn't fully open your eye.

You may have an infection in your eye(conjunctivitis) or eyelid (blepharitis). Too hard to tell without actually looking at it. Best advice is to see a doctor.

ray

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's spring break and how the hell am I supposed to pick up chicks when my eye is like this!?!?!
Wear an eyepatch. It'll make you more mysterious, and chicks will be dying to know what's under the patch.

Could be pinkeye?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Were you exposed to any chemical spray that could have got in your eye? Bug spray, WD-40, things like that? Getting hit in the face likely wouldn't cause this. I'm guessing its a stye though. The two or three I've had have looked like a whitehead right on one eyelash. But that doesn't mean they have to look like that.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Make it part of your style. You could bill yourself as DJ Lay-Z Eye or something. "Baby, you're so beautiful I gotta look at you with my good eye".

Run with it man, run with it.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Stay away from Worcestershire sauce, if you have pinkeye. I suggest calling the emergency number on the back label of the bottle.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Max:

Stay away from Worcestershire sauce, if you have pinkeye.
There must be a joke here, but I'm missing it.

Matthew "Right Eye" Chmiel:

If the problem is your eye lid, and there is nothing visibly wrong with your eye, I think we can rule out conjuctivitis (pink eye), etc. Also there'd be no point in going to an eye doctor as opposed to a G.P. Just see your regular doc, but do it soon. (And report back to us so that we don't worry.)

In the meantime, definitely go with the eye patch. The "pirate look" is hot right now. :)

Regards,

Joe

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Questions: is it tender to touch? Redness? Does it hurt when u move ur eye about? How about ur vision..is it worsening? If u answer no to all, then it maybe just some lid swelling. When u said a friend bumped u on the face then it seems like what we call a hematoma.
Now the lecture: The head is one part of the baody that's very vascular but also not much expandable tissues to go around with. The most flexible would be the eyelids. Swelling will occur there even the trauma missed it entirely. So u can explain those black eyes even though he or she was hit on the back of the head.
Treatment: If still within 24 hours, do cold compress. With ice in a towel, hold it onto the afflicted eye for a minutes at a time. If after 24 hours do the warm compress. Wet towel with hot water (tolerable hot that is), the press on eye for 15 minutes for 3X a day. Rationales for both: Cold "shrinks" down vessels that is oozing and making the swelling, the hot getting the extruded stuff back into the vessels which dilate on warm temperatures.

Now..the disclaimer or whatnot: If u answer yes to any of the previous questions, go see a doctor better if an ophtthalmologist ( though I doubt u can see one fast). But from ur "history" it could be just that, a hematoma. In less than 48 hours with the above treatment, u'll be picking up girls in no time.

Ok...'nuff said.

TimDoss

Second Unit
That's exactly why you should never share your mascara, I saw
stuff like this happen to my sisters all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks