There is a god and he does love us PC adventure fans (Longest Journey 2 is coming!)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Romier S, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Well he loves us every once in awhile but not nearly as often.[​IMG]

Thank the lord Funcom realizes that there are PC adventure fans left in the world. The sequel to The Longest Journey is in the works. As a big fan of the original game I cannot wait. If it weren't for Castlevania on the PS2 this would be the best news I've heard all week!

TLJ2

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I still haven't been able to get through the first one.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

4. Graeme Clark

No, I have gotten stuck, but that's not why. I just find the game rather long winded and start to get bored by it. The amount of plot and backstory that they're trying to cram into two figures standing still and talking is way too much.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

Were either of you guys fans of the Broken Sword games?

7. Graeme Clark

I'm on Chapter 5. If anything it's gotten slower. I really truely almost fell asleep a few times while talking to Vestrum Tobias. And that whole sequence in the Library was just tedium defined ("I'd like to know more!", "Oh, let me go searching for the book.... again.... and you can read a number of pages of uninteresting text").

I had (or have) one of the Broken Sword games, but never finished it.

I love adventure games, but I'm rather picky with them. I love, and have finished, nearly every Lucas Arts adventure game I have played. After that, the number that I enjoy is rather small.

8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Eric, I've played both Broken Sword games, PC versions, and enjoyed them. The second is a huge drop in quality I think, though still fun, but the first is a near classic for me. The dialogue is long sometimes, but the puzzles are great and the game looks beatiful.

I found the second one ran too short and it lacked the cohesive historical backing of the first one.

Longest Journey is an amazingly good adventure game, but I do sympathize Graeme, there are a couple of spots where the conversations nearly put me into a coma. Overall it was a very fun game, though a problem with the game's logic engine near the very end nearly caused me to put my boot through the screen.

I've played most LucasArts adventure games, and nearly every single Sierra On-Line adventure too. LucasArts games were great but Sierra was more prolific. Sierra died at the end of course, but then... so did LucasArts. I've got equally fond memories of both companies though, from my time playing Maniac Mansion up to my favorite series of all time, Gabriel Knight.

9. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of Lucas, I just picked up Grim Fandango the other day for the first time (hey, I don't have time to play everything when it's new) and now it has me pining for the grand ol' days of the SCUMM interface, *sob*.

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Yeah, Grim Fandango is a fun game, but it just shows that even LucasArts got suckered in by that whole 'go 3D' thing. I think the best LA adventure in the past three years or so has been Curse of Monkey Island. To me there's no need for a game to look any fancier than that. And it has great puzzles, superb voice acting, and an amazing musical score to boot.

Where's the problem?

11. Graeme Clark

Curse and Grim are both practically perfect. Yes, Time Schaefer's decision to try and remove any hint of an on screen UI in Grim might not have been the right one, but it's such a great game that it doesn't really matter.