Theoretical scenario: Tool, Radiohead or Beastie Boys on DTS-CD--would you purchase?

Discussion in 'Music' started by LanceJ, Jan 15, 2004.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I'm asking because of these traits of the DTS-CD format:

* requires no special playback hardware--can use either a CD player (digital output only) or dvd player

* no new technology is involved

* no bass management or distance compensation problems

* DTS decoders have been standard features on just about every receiver sold for several years now

* mobile dvd players more and more common now

* operates just like a CD

and the one asterisk sure to cause some discussion [​IMG].......

* sounds very good

Since hi-res' future still seems uncertain (at least as far as NON-classical/jazz music is concerned), when daydreaming about rock/pop surround music's future, I keep coming back to the DTS-CD format as a viable alternative.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

LJ

2. MikeFR

MikeFR Supporting Actor

Tool in dts?
    [​IMG]
    I would be very happy.

Very happy.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Of course I'd get it, just like I'd get a SACD or DVD-A of an album I like. But since DTS-CDs can't be listened to outside the house, I'd rather already have a DVD-A.

I haven't bought a DTS-CD in ages. The existence of the superior format makes it useless.

4. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'd prefer Tool and Radiohead hit hybrid SA-CD as a first choice, and DVD-A as a second. I've been fairly hesitant at buying a fair number of CDs until I'm certain a hirez edition isn't coming.

5. Michael St. Clair

Actually, some car systems with DVD players will play DTS CDs.

I'd rather have DVD-A over DTS CD though. Where are you going to find a surround system without a DVD player?

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Right. And DVD-A players have DTS and/or DD tracks that can also be played in a car.

My point (awkwardly made) was that DVD-A has what DTS-CDs have to offer plus more, so there's no reason to prefer DTS over DVD-A.

The only thing I can think of is that DVD-As might require menu use, where of course DTS does not. But most DVD-As are (and all should be) structured so that putting the disc in and hitting "play" will play the DVD-A track if it's in a compatible player, the DTS/DD track if not.

7. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

I would buy any release of any Tool album on any format. I already have DVD-A and can play DTS CD's but I would buy a SACD player just so I could listen to the Tool releases. Tool in a high resolution audio format.... I can only dream.

8. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

I would buy any Radiohead album on SACD or DVD-A.

"How to disappear completely" in high rez?

*drools*[​IMG]

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I guess I should have put this in my original post: dvd-audio and to a lesser extent, sacd, seem to be on pretty shaky ground as far as longevity is concerned so this is partly the basis for my daydreaming.

And producing a DTS-CD has got to be cheaper than a dvd-audio or sacd. Though to be honest, I'm not sure WHO it would be cheaper for, DTS Entertainment or the musician (does the musician pay DTS to put his/her work on their format or is it the other way around?).

BTW: the groups I wrote in the subject line are just examples, but specific ones i.e., groups IMO that are particularly suited for surround listening AND that would be bought by loyal fans. Not some no-talent airhead pop princess or music only suitable for equipment demo purposes.

LJ

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Radiohead in 5.1 [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I would guess DTS signs an agreement with an artists/label for a certain percentage of royalties in return for them putting the artist on the disc. I imagine that producing a DTS CD is almost as costly as putting out the DVD-A or SACD. An engineer still needs to be hired to mix the album into surround, which takes time and money. With DVD-A you have the added potential of video/menus which also take time, money, and royalties to produce. The biggest savings would from a royalties standpoint (no payments to Sony/Philips or the DVD Counci or whatever it is called). DTS discs don't exactly fly off the shelves as it is so this savings could be quite minimal in the overall production costs.

I would love to see a break down of what an actual DVD-A or SACD disc costs a company to get it to market.

J

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

For $500 you can buy software that encodes six wave files into a DTS stream which you can then burn to CD. In other words, making a DTS CD is within the reach of a garage band. Making a DVD-A or SACD is not.

13. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

You better believe I would buy ANYTHING high rez from Tool. Im still waiting and waiting for decent hirez hard rock to come out, but its not. So I'll spend my money elsewhere.

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Yes, but would you buy a lower-res Tool (the lossy encoding of DTS) in order to get a multichannel track?

(DTS is not "hi-res"; it's lower-res than LPCM.)

15. StevenW

StevenW Second Unit

Anything that Tool would put out, I would buy...anything.
    So yes I would buy that DTS CD in a heartbeat.

16. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

DTS doesn't even make DTS CDs anymore, do they? I thought they were just producing DVD-A.

I have alot of great sounding DTS CDs, so I wouldn't hesitate if I could get a disc of a band I liked that wasn't available on DVD-A or SACD.

As to the quality, I have some DTS CDs that sound better to me than some of my hi-rez discs, so I wouldn't automatically discount that route. Of course, if everything is done right in the production chain I would prefer to have hi-rez--it's just that there is so much variable quality, even with some DTS CDs, to be fair, so you'd have to take it on a case by case basis.

DJ

17. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

One man's low-res is another man's only available method of listening to 5.1 music.

I don't think anybody has claimed that DTS is hi-res. However, before SACD and DVD-A there was no shortage of DTS fanboys who couldn't stop talking about how transparent DTS is.

18. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I wouldn't say in absolute terms(and I'm no DTS fanboy[​IMG]), but in the context of a 24/48 PCM master delivered as a Red Book CD and a DTS CD, it probably could be more transparent.

DJ

19. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

DTS still sells DTS-CDs and they have released several new ones in the past year. "Several" isn't exactly a flood but better than nothing (O.K. call me a fanboy I guess). But unfortunately the title selection is rather....blah....IMO with only four or five I would buy.

Whether or not DTS is a lossy format doesn't bother me as long as they sound good (this kind of wreckless audio attitude is why I don't call myself an audiophile but instead an audio hobbyist). My Seventh Sojourn disc sounds great--not just for a lossy format but just plain sounds great. And I've heard many other people say the same thing about other DTS-CDs.

Maybe that partnership with EMI and going public with their stock will give DTS some extra cash to attract more artists to this format, maybe more obscure--but still good ones--that don't "deserve" the expense of a hi-res release but still would benefit from a surround format playable right now on hundreds of thousands of existing systems.

And how about some more Alan Parsons, PLEASE???

LJ

20. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

Yes, definitely. I love that last track on On Air where it starts in the left rear speaker and slowly pans around to the front. It really lets you know how well you have your rears placed and how seamless your back to front transition is.

I'd like some more Lyle Lovett too if its recorded as well as Joshua Judges Ruth. I would have never bought that disc for myself; I got it as a present, but it's not only the best quality DTS CD I have, but one of the best sounding discs of any format in my collection.

DJ