What's new

Theme Theaters (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Michael:

That is one cool theater isn't it. I always wanted an HT set up like the bridge of the Enterprise D.

Parker

Definitely cool!!

I think I would opt for a more gothic feel...reminiscent of the Universal horror films of the 30's!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
The challenge with theme theaters (in my opinion) are twofold. First, it's pretty easy to cross the line from cool to cheesy. Don't get carried away - less is often more. Second of all, there have been a number of times that I have seen these funky theaters in AVI magazine and such and the colors get so outrageous that could only have a detrimental effect on image quality. Try and maintain the spirit of your chosen theme but keep theater performance in mind throughout.

Evan M

Second Unit
Wow, Darren... that freaking rocks.

Color me jealous.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Darren...

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't see a link above your name. All links I try don't take me to any pictures.

Mike

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's PHENOMENAL.... but we enjoy it nonetheless. Yes, I did all the design, construction and set-up myself.

Lev-S

Second Unit
um, here is my theater, um, it has a chair, and, uh, an Alien figure woohoo... :-(

Darren,

What was the size of the room before you started? Do you have any pics of it under construction?

Jay,

I think I agree with you...although I haven't really seen too many themed theaters.

Mike

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

The room was an entertainemnt room with the TV built into a false wall, along with the speakers and shelves for components. At that time it was a very open walk-out basement. I then added a wall and solid core door to separate the room from the rest of the finished basement area. It measures in at about 15' by 27'... and varing heights of ceiling. The next issue fo HOME THEATER BUILDER magazine will include an exclusive on our home theaters creation. So keep an eye out for it in the next few weeks! :alien:

JasonSTR

Auditioning
Darren you wouldnt go so far as to call it phenominal?!!! Dude i would!!! ;) Its spectacular! Maybe thats just the sci-fi geek in me talking tho :b. That star wars one is amazing as well, wish they had more photos of it tho :frowning:

Star wars just happens to be my fave sci fi movie ever followed closely by dune and the terminator tho :D

MatthewBrown

Auditioning
Very nice. The first one is a bit too trekie for my taste but still very clean and creative nontheless. The cyberdyne theater is very inspiring, you did wonderfully on it and I'm glad you're being honored with magazine credit.

How long did the construction take you from start to finish? I love all the diamond plating and steel fabrication, do you do this for a living too?

I've had a few ideas for theming my theater also, but this thread just sealed it for me. I absolutely must do it. One was a 20's-30's speakeasy. Another was a 50's drive-in with the top half of a drop-top surrounding the main seating area. Another was the inside of a commercial airliner (with more comfortable seats of course.) So the ideas will continue flooding in and probably put me farther away from actually putting it down, but in the end the planning will be well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks