Thelonious Monk Brilliant Corners Coming to Super Audio!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ka-ching!

In my book, Fantasy records has now surpassed Analogue Productions as the SACD-producing boutique label in terms of titles. Yes, AP has some of the greats and they sound better, but they're also way more expensive. Every single title released and scheduled to be released by Fantasy is either a classic or should be one.

Of the 20 that are on the market, I have 19 and plan to get the Leo Kotke title on my next high-res internet order.

Brilliant Corners- what cane be said except that this is Monk in his prime: before Columbia and his steady quartet, after most of his classic were written and he was playing around with them (my favorite aspect of Monk's music). The lineup is stellar.
    I'm just thrilled that more Monk is on hybrid SACD (5 By Monk By 5 from AP is the only other one. It's good, though a more obscure title).

The Oscar Peterson title looks cool. What a lineup!

It's because of collecting DCCs and SACDs that I got into Peterson. His style is so infectious that you have to be brain-dead not to smile when listening to it, even if (or because) he embellishes like a maniac sometimes.

So who do I have to kill to get Night Train on hybrid SACD?

I just got the Amadeus soundtrack from BMG so it's a kick in the pants that they're releasing it on SACD, but I still will so get it. Mariner is the most exciting (if inaccurate) interpreter of Mozart, and I just love that film so much and how the music is used that it's like the only soundtrack I want to own.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Mike, I got all 6 of the Euro Oscar Peterson series now. Eat your heart out! ...but they are on Uni's U.S. release schedule and should come around sum-thyme.[​IMG]

I'll proably get this Monk type platter too.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I don't know but let's send Paulie from the Sopranos once we find out. [​IMG]

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ah, yes, the Euros. Man, I ain't touchin' those until I get everything domestic I want, which won't happen for many moons. But I heard the Petersons were fantastic.

6. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

The Peterson discs are available in Canada as well. That doesn't happen too often. I keep meaning to check one out, but I know as soon as I get one, I'll want the rest, and $120 is out of the budget at the moment. Mike, you might want to check out a Canadian web-site, like A&B Sound. With the exchange, you might get them at a decent price. I think they sell for around $20CDN.
    I really gotta find an affordable source for importing some Fantasy titles. They just keep putting out great title, after great title.

Regards
    KrisM

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ah, but if I find a site that sells the stuff, I'll want to buy it all! One thing at a time: first I must conquer the United States, then Canada, then the UK, then France, and finally, the Japanese Empire!
    (conquering = buying their SACDs. I'm a man of low ambition)

Opinions actually differ on some of the Fantasy titles. Some feel a few of the titles are bright or not that much better than a good CD, and the redbook layers have taken some criticism, too. But I think overall they're totally worth it and better than K-20s and such I'm replacing them with.

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I agree about Thelonious Monk Brilliant Corners. It is timeless. Man, it seems like SACD gets better titles than DVD-A. I only get DVD-A now, but it seems time to consider one of them gizmos that plays both formats.

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I have no prior experience with "Brilliant Corners", so I'm looking forward to this one. It's been on my list, but dang that list is so long that I just never got around to it.

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

To me, the disparity is so huge that I've pretty much lost all interest in DVD-A. The new Porcupine Tree is the only title I'm excited about. But with my surround speakers in storage and hybrid SACDs releasing such great classic jazz recordings, I know where my money's going.

And while the classical titles are all sonically awesome, I do wish they'd release some of the more older, definitive versions of the classics on hybrid SACD.

11. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

They are also releasing "Monk's Music" with Coltrane, which is my personal favorite Monk album.

Has anyone here bought any of the Sony Monk SACDs?

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I did not hear of them releasing Monk's Music. Is this Fantasy also?

The only Sony Monk to my knowledge is Straight, No Chaser. It's Ok, but it's not one of my favorite Monk albums and it's not a hybrid.

13. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

In a previous news story High Fidelity Review reported Monk's Music was among the next 10.

*Cannonball Adderley with Milt Jackson - Things Are Getting Better (Riverside)
    *Chet Baker - In New York (Riverside)
    *Bill Evans Trio - Explorations (Riverside)
    *Thelonious Monk - Monk's Music (Riverside)
    *Wes Montgomery Trio - Wes Montgomery Trio (Riverside)
    *Isaac Hayes - The Isaac Hayes Movement (Stax)
    *Merl Saunders & Jerry Garcia - Live at Keystone (Fantasy)
    *Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Boy Named Charlie Brown (Original Soundtrack Recording) (Fantasy)
    *The Modern Jazz Quartet - Django (Prestige)
    *Sonny Rollins - The Sound of Sonny (Prestige)

14. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Straight, No Chaser is decent sonically. The best Sony so far IMHO is Mingus Ah Um.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Now I'm confused: Fantasy is releasing those 10, but they've also announced another 5 that includes Big Star, the Amadeus soundtrack, and MJQ's Django. So they have 15 coming out? Gosh, I hope so.

Lee, Ah Um is one of the very few single layer stereo SACDs I'm keeping as exceptions to my new SACD Manifesto. I don't even think it's the best sonically, but it is good, and it was also my demo disc when hunting for players. Besides, it's Mingus, who is my musical God.