What's new

Thelma and Louise Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
This is a favorite of mine (probably in top 20), and I recently watched the Fox/MGM Blu-ray. I am pleased big time on this one. Good detail, nice quality. Very few scratches or dirt and a beautiful DTS MA track for a bonus. This movie and Alien rank as my top two Ridley Scott movies and he'd be proud at how it's presented here.

Last Fall, I saw a large digital projection of T&L in a theater and this is most definitely better. All the special features from the previous deluxe DVD set have been ported in standard def, including two commentary tracks and a fine 1-hour making of documentary including interviews with Ridley Scott, Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, Brad Pitt, and all other principal players.

If MGM was charged with the transfer of this one, mark this on the calendar, because they came through with style on Thelma and Louise. T&L can be bought at around the $10 price point and I highly recommend it for fans, particularly for the HD transfer.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Save for the odd misfire like TGSET, MGM has really gotten its act together in terms of the quality of their blu-rays.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek

Save for the odd misfire like TGSET, MGM has really gotten its act together in terms of the quality of their blu-rays.

One of my favorite Ridley Scott films- But I have to say the Blu-ray is a frustrating depressing experience to me.

It's nice to see the film finally rendered with precision on a large screen, and no line twitter or moire or smeared, shifting detail.

But at the same time I can't stand teal denim and dingy, teal skies. And the scene when the cops visit Thelma's husband is now a laughable, over the top example of the teal/orange sensibility gone amuck. Much of this disc unfortunately now looks like Michael Bay, not Ridley Scott, directed it.

So far, it's probably the most disappointing release of the year for me because of this cliched revisionism.

But I blame RS for the discs faults, not MGM. They've been one of my favorite studios precisely because most of their catalog releases have been free from auteurs (struggling to remain relevant) tampering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks