Theft while I was home

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MikeSerrano, Apr 28, 2006.

1. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

Yesterday, while I was home, somebody had the balls to sneak into my (fenced in) yard, walk around to the back door of my garage, enter said garage, get into the trunk of my car, take the time to neatly disconnect my powered subwoofer (using my own tools), and then casually exit the garage via the (previously locked) front door with my property. To add insult to injury this asshole also made off with a brand new Craftsman Jigsaw--I didn't even get a chance to use it. The funny thing is that neither of these items were in plain view and there was tons of other stuff out in the open that they could have easily taken once they were inside, but it almost seemed they targeted these two items. They also tried to make off with my iPod, but couldn't figure out how to disconnect it from its custom harness (I guess when you have an apparent room temperature IQ, pushing two buttons together is too tall an order).

It is a sad state of affairs when, in Boulder County (a county whose per capita income is higher than the vast majority of people elsewhere in the country) and across the street from the home of a local police officer, you have to lock up even when you are home. I can only wonder if this low life even knows that thanks to Colorado's "Make My Day Law", I would have been perfectly justified in employing the use of my shotgun by shooting first and asking questions later had I caught this no-count loser in the act.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The police should have no trouble finding him. Anybody with balls that big has to walk kinda funny....

3. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

In this day and age, no matter where you live, IMO your doors should always be locked.

I'm willing to bet most thefts are crimes of opportunity.

Do you have friends or kids with friends that would want this stuff? Your comment about the stuff being specifically targeted makes me think it's someone you know.

My car remains locked with the alarm on in my locked and closed garage.

Paranoid? Maybe a little. Bigger theft deterrent? Definitely.

And I live in a very nice neighborhood. But sometimes even rich kids steal just to be stupid.

4. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Judging by my phone book and Google Maps, you live out there off of Baseline by the Erie airport, right? That seems like an unlikely area for stranger on stranger crime, especially during daylight hours. I looked at the Lafayette police department web site but I couldn't find a crime summary map on there anywhere. The nature of what was stolen and what wasn't stolen would lead me to suspect someone who knows you. Any teenagers in the neighborhood?

We had some guys rolling through my neighborhood in south Boulder last year. One of my co-workers had a laptop stolen out of his vehicle when he was at the gym.

Like Vincent Vega said, it would be worth him doing it if you could just catch him in the act... [​IMG]

Brad

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    My first thought was that it's someone you know, or a friend of someone you know. It's just too perfect and clean to be random.

My second thought was that it was probably Brad Porter.

6. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

No way, man. I got myself a nice Bosch jigsaw late last year. I wouldn't steal a Craftsman. [​IMG]

Besides, Mike says he owns a shotgun and has been researching the "Make My Day Law" thoroughly enough to provide a hyperlink. I'm staying far away from his house.

Brad

7. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Yeah, you know him. Look out your window, which houses have a 13-18yr old male? I'll put $10 on the last house on the left.

Doug

8. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

This level of paranoia is seemingly justified these days. *sigh*

9. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

For someone to be that bold, it makes me think there's a good possibility it's someone who wouldn't necessarily seem out of place or be considered a stranger in your yard (inside the fence) or in your garage if spotted by neighbors, etc. And, someone who is pretty smugly confident in that knowledge.

I'd be suspecting somebody who's a frequent enough...and familiar enough...visitor to feel like he/she could literally just walk in, do the deed, and walk out without drawing any undue attention.

10. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Definitely someone has been scoping your house for some time. Someone who knows your habits. Most theives wouldn't attempt to break-in a home while someone was there. This had to be someone you know who, if caught, could try to charm you out of calling the police. It's quite possible the items were just to be pawned for quick cash to purchase drugs. Call around your pawn stores for your stolen goods.

- Colton

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

This has inside job written all over it. Here's a way to figure out who could have done this. Make lists of:

* Who knew that you had this sub in your trunk?
    * Who knew your garage well enough to know where the new jisaw would be?
    * Who knows the layout of your house well enough to be comfortable walking in and out of different doors during the day, but wouldn't know how your iPod station works?

Cross-reference those lists (on paper and in your mind) and you are probably dealing with a short list of suspects. Go out and question them about it, see if one of them cracks. The police will never do this stuff, but sometimes just asking a few questions is all it takes.

Also, ask all your neighbors if they saw anyone in or around your house on that day at that time. Anyone even playing out front. If someone who is on that short list above was even walking by that day, you have a very good place to start.

Good luck.

12. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    How about check to see if the neighbors saw someone carrying a large subwoofer and a jigsaw down the street (not a common pairing!)?