Matrix comes out. I would like to see
it at the best available to me.
Anyone with local knowledge that
can steer me to the best theatre?

Thanks,
Aaron Armstrong

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'd say the Regal Cinemas at the Hamburg Pavillion. I don't necessarily know if its the best (I think it is, but folks from out of town have higher standards ;) ), but it certainly is the newest. Stadium seating, good sound, blah blah blah.

You get the picture. :)

Personally, I'm going to Louisville to watch the Matrix.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I wish there was a DLP theater in Louisville. I know for a fact there's one in Cincinnatti.

I'm going to Louisville because all of my friends are gathering there for the Matrix.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Yes, Showcase Cinemas Springdale in Cincinnati has it. It would be about 120 miles from Louisville since it's in the northern part of the city.

The Newport On The Levee AMC in northern Kentucky deserves one, though. I'm not sure if it's in the works or not.

Brandon_S

Second Unit
If you are in Lexington I would second Regal Cinemas in Hamburg Pavillion. Also, if you get a chance, you should try to catch a movie at The Kentucky Theater downtown. It is a great place to watch movies (they mostly carry independent films). By the way, what brings you to Lexington? If you have never been here before, you will like it!

Claire Panke

Second Unit
Being in the horse business, I love Lexington. We're there about half a dozen times a year.

Lexington's a wonderful town with many interesting things to do and see, plus some great restaurants...and yes, The Kentucky Theater. (I highly recommend you check it out.)

I'll be at the Horse Park for a show and party this Friday, then we'll drive to Louisville Saturday for the Derby...heaven!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I shall be attending the Derby as well.

And if you don't know, then you should know: screw the Hollywood crowd. The infield is where all the action is. :D

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Can you guys believe I have lived in Kentucky my whole life and never been to the Derby! I have to get there next year. ;)

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
My best friend moved to Atlanta 2 years ago.
We are gonna meet half way to watch Matrix and XMen2.

The bad thing is that there is a DLP theatre in Cleveland
that I will be passing up.

The things we do for friendship!

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Here's another vote for Regal in Hamburg Pavillion. Only cautions are that the prices aren't great (for food or tickets, I think they raised their ticket prices by $0.25 a couple months ago, but concessions price gouging is pretty much commonplace), and I've never gotten good popcorn there (it's always been way too dry, stale, and flavorless for me).
The closest second would probably be Lexington Green. Not as big, not as good/large seating, but iirc their prices are lower, and their popcorn is good ;). That and there's great shops all around it (Joseph Beth Booksellers, CompUSA, etc.) within easy walking distance so you could buy tickets early and do some shopping while you wait for the showtime. If you want to do that at Regal/Hamburg, you'd better do the Fandango.com thing, or be prepared to drive (or take a 7 mile hike) from shop to shop...Hamburg is not designed for walking around :D. I haven't been to Lexington Green in a while because it seems like recently they never pick up new releases, and when they do pick one up they hold onto it forever so I've already seen everything they're showing :frowning:.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Lexington Green is decent, and yes there are some places to shop around while you wait. I love Joseph Beth Booksellers but there's something even better:

Cold Stone Creamery

:D

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Hmmm, I've only been to Cold Stone once, and I didn't have the best experience. It could've had something to do with having just eaten a big meal, and after adding ice cream on top it really didn't agree with me. That and I think you need to have a PhD in Mathematics to figure out their pricing scheme ;). Grater's, if you've never had it, is just plain awesome. There's one a little down Man O War from Hamburg (there's also a "Marble Slab Creamery" in Hamburg, but I've never tried it).

On the Kentucky horse racing note, I just now scrounged up some tickets to the Derby :D (I've only been once before, about 10 years ago). As if Keeneland wasn't bad enough for my gambling... :wink:

AaronArmstrong

Stunt Coordinator
Is Grater's a resteraunt or another ice cream place?
I think we will go with the Hamburg movie theatre.
Also, any recommendations for good eating?
We love chicken wings or if not too expensive an
all you can eat crab leg place!:b

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's Graeter's, not Grater's. It's just an ice cream place, and it's graet! :)

Chris Hopper

Agent
I hear Joe's Crab Shack is good but have never been (veggie). It is on Nichollasville Road. I work for O'Charley's so of coarse I recommend that. My favorite dining in Lexington is Bella Notte, but I love Italian food. Got tickets to see last showing of Matrix at Regal tonight through Fandango, Woohoo!
chris

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Thanks for catching my mistake there ThomasC, I couldn't remember if it had the 'e' or not, so I left it off :).

I had Joe's Crab Shack once, and IMO, it wasn't that good, everything tasted as if it was fried/cooked in the same thing. The fish tasted fishy, but so did the crab, shrimp, etc. if you get my drift. :frowning: :thumbsdown:

O'Charley's serves "American" cuisine (steaks, sandwiches, chicken etc). I don't care for their caesar salad much (if you can't tell, while everybody may be a critic, I'm a critic of everything ;) :D), but other than that I've always gotten really good food there. You can check out their website/menu here.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I hate O'Charley's, and I'm a fan of Graeter's only during specific months (when the cinnamon and coconut are available). I haven't spent that much time in Lexington, but I did enjoy the pizza place that was formerly a church in the downtown area. I can't remember the name or the exact location, but it's not too far from Rupp.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I hate O'Charley's, and I'm a fan of Graeter's only during specific months (when the cinnamon and coconut are available). I haven't spent that much time in Lexington, but I did enjoy the pizza place that was formerly a church in the downtown area. I can't remember the name or the exact location, but it's not too far from Rupp.
That'd be Joe Bologna's -- very highly recommended. The breadsticks alone are worth a visit.

Saw the Matrix at the Hamburg Regal last night. That's the second best theater in town (stadium seating in all theaters), but the framing seemed off to me -- felt like the top was cropped. All the characters had their foreheads lopped off at the eyebrows. It was on six screens for a total of (I think) 24 shows, all sold out. Wow.

The best theater in town is, of course, the Kentucky downtown, but they don't show blockbusters (at least when they're new).

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.