Theatre DLP?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by PeterK, May 1, 2005.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

What kind of DLP projectors does the typical theatre use. Is it 1080p and/or those new 3 chip diplays. My local theatre has a dlp projector. I don't know the specs, but I have to say I am not that impressed. Just watched Hitchhickers there on friday and the it was an artifact free picture but it didn't really look that crisp throughout the movie. Is this typical of DLP or does my local theatre just suck?

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

D-Cinema projectors are (right now) 3-chip DLP units.

Some are 1280x1024 with an anamorphic lens.

Some are 1920x1080. This might also have an anamorphic lens, but you start getting into some really wierd cuts of glass.

The lack of crispness may be from a number of things: one of the easiest would be a George Lucas: Oh, we only shot that in a wide-shot, but now I reeally want a tight close-up. Or some other sort of production-related issues.

It's unlikely it's a compression-related issue; most D-Cinema setups I've seen don't do that much compression - if at all.

Leo

3. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure what typical (local/public) theaters use but I have not been impressed with the picture (or sound) in any of them. The whole reason I built my own theater is to really enjoy the movie experience not just "sit through a movie".

I use "DLP Single HD-2 DMD chip" in my RUNCO VX-1000ci projector and I believe it exponentially surpasses anything in a typical (local/public) theater.

My theater & equipment:

Construction of this 13'3" X 32', 16 seat theater begain in April 2004 and was completed in February 2005. The theater features a 96" X 54" widescreen image projected on a Stewart Firehawk screen by a Runco VX1000ci DLP projector & DHD controller. The 7.1 sound system includes a Denon 3805 A/v processor and Definitive Technology BP7001SC main speakers, a C/L/R 2500 center speaker and four BP2X surround speakers. A Denon DVD-2200 audio-video/super audio CD player and a High-definition TV cable converter supply the sources. A Panamax MAX 5300 surge/line conditioning system protects the entire theater system. Remote control is via an iPronto tsi6400 which controls everything in the theater including the 10-zone Lutron lighting system. A High-definition game port is available for use with X-Box and Playstation game consoles.

David