Theaterwall - 84" DLP - any reviews?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by KenRen, Dec 18, 2005.

1. KenRen

KenRen Stunt Coordinator

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

We saw something like this at CEDIA. I believe that the version we saw was about 100" diagonally but I'm not sure. The manufacturer's name also escapes me at the moment. The concept is a good one (and the picture looked great) but there are a couple of drawbacks. For one thing you have to have the right space in your home for this to work. Also, once you install it you are stuck with it unless you do some major renovating. With self contained units there is rearrangement flexibility and if you want a big screen with more flexibility there is always front projection. However, if your room and budget allows (I seem to recall it was quite expensive) this can produce a great picture.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Give me a front projector any day over that.

4. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I've never heard of the model you list. What RAF is referring to is the BigVizion by Optima. Here is alink. This was the best looking rear projection set at the CEDIA this year. Like RAF mentioned, it needs to be built in, so it's not for everyone (if it would work in my home I would have bought it in a heartbeat). We were 4 feet from the 100 inch screen watching Spiderman on DVD upconverted through the included external scaler and it was a beautiful picture. The included scaler is supposed to be available separately as well for a MSRP of around $3000. MSRP was going to be around 18K for the 100 inch set, but Optima products are heavily discounted on the street, The final specs and pricing weren't finalized when we were at the show as it was a new model so you will want to verify specs and pricing. It was a 1080P set. Again to recap if it would work in my family room I would be purchasing one. Like RAF said it isn't cheap, but by the time you add up the cost for a screen, scaler and projector that looks this good, it's not a bad value especially with what the street price will end up being.