Theater with best surround system in NY or NJ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Angel Pagan, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

I was curious because I've been to Sony Imax theaters that had SDDS and others with Dolby Digital. I've never been to a theater that had DTS. As a matter of fact, I hadn't experienced DTS for the first time until I upgraded my home theater. I want to experience Spiderman with the best possible surround sound. Although I live in New York City, I'm willing to go as far as Jersey to get the best movie going experience for my favorite childhood superhero. :b

Thanks,

Angel

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

If you look in the movie listings in the local papers, they will have a list of what sound format each theater uses (Dolby, DTS, SDDS).

3. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

I thought about that but seeing which theater has which sound format playing there doesn't guarantee a good theater experience. I've been to some theaters where the sound was just not what I expected and then go somewhere else to see the same movie and be blown away. Yet, they were both using the same sound format. I don't want for this to be a poll and get sent to the polls section, but just wanted an opinion on where members in the NY/NJ area go for their movie going experience and have had the best experience (sound wise).

Angel

4. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

I saw the Matrix at the Palisades Center Mall Sony theater and walked out with my mouth hangin open.

Mike

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

The best-sounding theater I know in Manhattan, on a consistent basis, is the Loews Auditorium at the Sony Lincoln Square. It's a THX-certified theater and is also equipped for SDDS-8. The problem is that there's no way to tell what's playing in that particular room, or on what schedule, without calling the theater. The newspaper listings don't identify auditoriums, nor does the website.

Other venues with especially good sound include:

United Artists Union Square, auditoriums 4 and 8 (THX)

Loews Kips Bay, auditorium 10

Ziegfeld

Many people like the Loews Astor Plaza, but I've found them to be very erratic in their presentation. Likewise, the AMC 25 in Times Square can be very good or very bad. I haven't been able to tell whether the variation is by auditorium or some other factor (like who's running the projector that day).

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Angel, I agree with Micheal Reuben's assessment of the Manhattan theaters. Being this is a Sony picture, I imagine it WILL be at the Lincoln Square, but probably on multiple screens. Call them when S-M is about to open to find out what showtimes are specifcally for the "Loews" auditorium.

7. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Mike,

The only movie I've seen at the Palisades Center Mall Sony theater was Jimmy Neutron. :b Hey, I had my kid with me.

Michael,

I've been to all those theaters but never knew that the sound system isn't the same in every auditorium.

Peter,

I had failed to make the connection between movie and theater (SONY). D'oh. Good call. I'll be looking at the Sony Lincoln Square location. I guess I'll call a few days before release to find which auditorium it will be playing at.

Thanks guys.

Angel

8. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

I'll second United Artists Union Square #8. I saw The Lord of the Rings: FOTR there and the bass was amazing.

Joe

9. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    As a New Yorker trapped in San Francisco...I whole heartedly agree with Michael's choices for theater sound in NYC.

On a scale of 1 to 10

Sony Lincoln Square Loews Auditorium - 9 (neutral)

Sony Lincoln Square IMAX Screen - 10 (neutral-amazing bass)

Ziegfeld - 9 (bright)

Star Wars fans should note that Ziegfeld should be presenting AOTC digitally!

-Dennis

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I can also recommend in NJ the General Cinemas Clifton Commons off of route 3. I might be a little biased as it is adjacent to where I work and therefore convenient for myself but it is fairly recent and have always found the presentation good especially in their larger auditoriums. It is also more reasonably priced than the theaters in Manhattan.

12. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Since I plan on seeing this film more than once, i guess this will be a good time to check out other theaters. Thanks.

Angel