Theater subs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_McCormick, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Ryan_McCormick

What is the average size of subwoofers used in Theaters. I am assuming 18 or so. Hope someone can give me an answer on the size and usual power of them. Jut got back from the theater and was curious.

Thanks,

2. Cameron Wright

Cameron Wright Stunt Coordinator

yeh A guy that did out kitchen said he helped a friend finish a local Famous players theater adn he said it was a 18" in a box.. with a amp thats abotit.. I hope that this is only the cheap owner of the place but I dont know just a plane ole square box

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

To really fill a theater with bass you either need lots of 18" drivers (pro stuff, JBL and a few others). Or you need some loaded into big horns. But they generally don't extend below 30hz.

Very few theaters can match the last octave performance of a good home theater sub. A theater is just too big to fill with deep bass.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Dustin, you hit the nail on the head with that response. The "upbeat" cinemas will have multiple 18" drivers as stated.

5. Ryan_McCormick

Thank you fellas,

They have alot of advantages over home theaters such as big budgets, good acoustics, quality gear installed by trainded technicians, but the one advantage that sticks out in my head is shear volume. Man they crank it up in there!

Thank you,