Theater Slides

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JasonWynia, Nov 11, 2003.

1. JasonWynia

JasonWynia Agent

Though I haven't seen any questions on this topic, I figured Software was the most likely section to put it in. Feel free to tell me to go somewhere else.

As someone who goes to the theater early to get "my" seats, the slides before the movie are part of the experience for me and I was looking to emulate them at home for a couple of reasons. 1 is the "feel". The other is that when I have other people over to watch movies, there's frequently a 30+ minute gap between when the first guest and the last arrives and we finally start the movie. Having the movie slides running helps pull everyone in to find a seat so we actually get to the movie (I hate going to someone's house to "watch movies" and not a single frame gets watched).

I looked around and had difficulty finding something like this (what exactly are these called?) and found that, like much of the home theater world, things cost a lot more than they "should". Everyone who offers something like this offers only custom solutions. The thing is, that most of the theaters don't have anything custom and I don't really need/want anything with my name on it. As a result, I was kind of hoping to find a DVD in the $15-$20 range with trivia, movie games, etc.

So, I'm wondering if this exists?

In the mean time, and assuming I'm not going to find what I'm looking for, I started my own. Is there anything like this out there already? If not, would anyone be interested in more like this?

I have a small sample video, but as I just joined, I'm not allowed to post the URL directly. If you want to see it, you can follow these steps.

1. go to www dot pragmapooldev dot com
    2. add a trailing slash and video
    3. choose movieslides.wmv.

2. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

Do you have the capability to make your own dvd's? or vcd's?

What I would do is make my own slide show with a movie program, overlay some music, and just play that in the dvd player until your ready to start the movie.

You could have alot of fun going that route, doing different slide shows and different music depending on what style of movie you were to watch.

3. JasonWynia

JasonWynia Agent

That's what I'm doing now. I make DVD's of everything I record from HBO, etc. just like I used to do with VHS. The sample video I mentioned is what I made last night to start on this project myself (shrunk down for the web). Actually, I make DivX files as my DVD player is a KISS 450 that plays pretty much everything, including DivX video.

What I'm surprised about is that I couldn't find anyone doing this in a generic way or for themselves.

Part of what I'm looking for is "types" of slides and additional questions/ideas. Right now I've got a few quote slides and a few scrambled actor's names.

Maybe what's needed is a site to exchange slides. That way you can use my existing slides and vice versa, building more unique collections of slides.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I want something to simulate the sound of annoying people in the theater making noise! I want to get a misframed and out-of-focus picture on my screen too.

5. JasonWynia

JasonWynia Agent

Obviously, everyone has a different idea of the things that make a good theater experience just like their ideas of favorite movies vary. I mean, though it may peg me as a heretic, I don't particularly care for the Lord of the Rings series. They're OK, but I haven't bothered to buy them and haven't even seen them on DVD at all yet.

Similarly, I like the *idea* of the little games/trivia. Sure, most of the quotes and questions are stupid and the same all the time. Sure, they are often out of focus. The point is that home theater is about creating good versions of the things you like at home. Most folks like the surround sound in the theater and not only replicate it at home, but surpass it by a good deal. Even the cheapest Dolby Digital all-in-one from Best Buy is better than 80% of theaters. Similarly, I'd like a *good* version of the slides.

I personally can't stand the seats at ANY of the theaters I've attended. I have yet to sit in a seat in a movie theater that doesn't make me squirm for 2 hours. So, in my home theater, there will be no clones of movie seats: only really comfortable chairs and couches.

I'm considering the theater slides (for lack of a better term) as my theater's screensaver and to help people quiet down before the movie starts. I have enjoyed the "You Don't Know Jack" games, and have played them in groups, but want something that doesn't require direct interactivity and is a little more "movie-centric".