What's new

Theater seating: mounting to riser (1 Viewer)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I'm going to pick up my seats at the end of the month, and I had a question to all those who have build risers for the back row of seats: how did you build it?

I'm guessing I'll use 2x12 for the sides and front, and then for the top deck some 1/2" plywood. But what I can't figure out is where to screw the actual seats into (they came from a theater, so they have 2 screw holes on each side; the distance (width) between the sides of the chair is 20".

Should I just do another set of the 2x12s as joists under each chair screw point, or do I need to use bolts instead of screws.

I'm also thinking of carpeting the riser; any thoughts?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I would definatly put carpet on the riser. It's a very easy process and makes it look much more finished.

As for mounting the seats. I would use bolts.

I built my riser like a normal floor system, with joists every 16 or so inches (can't remember right off). If you built it this way, it would be simple to put a spacer between a couple of the joists flat agaist the plywood decking and drill holes through that to bolt the seats to. That would put the support pressure mostly on the joists instead of the plywood. You could use 2x6 for those support spacers and just place them under the holes in the seats.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I used 2x12s all around and then every 16" OC, then laid 2x12s across the top then covered with a sheet of 3/4" plywood. That gave me over 2" to screw the seats into. I used 1-3/4" lag bolts for the seats.
Peace Out~:D

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Use 3/4" plywood instead of 1/2". Definitely Carpet the riser and use bolts, not screws. You can see some of what I did at my HT site.

PeterOR

Auditioning
Matt,

My seats were the two legs design with two holes in the mount. I used self sinking bolts with washer each side going in to a 2X4. I also braced a 2X3 verticaly under each leg between the bolt holes under the 1/2 inch particale board and the floor cross beam. This way the bolts are only holding the seats firmly in place and not supporting any downward presure or stress as people sort of plop themselves down on a seat. I also put carpet down over my risers and placed dimmer lights at floor level which is very handy 'cept sometiems the wooffer will ajust them all in tune with the sound mind you LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks