Theater Screen

Real Name
john
Sorry for this simple question, but how do you decide one a screen size.

I want to put in as large a screen as possible, because bigger is always better. But I not want it to be so large that is uncomfortable.
My Theater will be in the basement and has 7' ceiling. The first row of two rows of seating will be at about 11'.
I'm thinking of 120" diagonal (16:9 ratio) from Elite or would I be better of with the 108".
Thanks for any help

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Screen size is determined by seating distance and resolution of projector. The rule of thumb for a 720p projector is to sit back 1.5X the screen width(12' away from an 8' wide screen). And 2X screen width for a 480p projector(16' away from a 8' wide screen). You're screen size is also limited by your low ceiling. I think the 120" screen would be too tall for your ceiling height. You need to place your center channel speaker above or below screen. Unless you're placing your center speaker behind your screen, you need to go with the 108" screen.

Real Name
john
Thanks for your help Jim. I was really hoping for the larger screen, but I very new to this stuff thats why I really need your input.
Thanks

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
One thing that is not discussed much in figuring screen size is FATIGUE. The closer you sit or the bigger the screen has an affect on your eyes getting fatigued from watching, or scanning a large image. You cannot see the whole image at once so your eyes constantly scan around the image.

David

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo