What's new

Theater rudeness reaches new depths (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I know there have been lots of threads about incidents involving inconsiderate movie patrons - followed by the obligatory "that's why I have my own theater" responses. But something happened today that boggles my mind still.

You know how, in many theaters, there is an empty row (a horizontal aisle) perhaps 8-10 rows up from the screen, behind which there is a railing? I like to arrive early in order to get that "first row" after the railing. It's perfect: nobody in front of me, and the railing makes a very convenient footrest.

Anyway, the wife and I took the kids to see "Along Came Polly" this afternoon. We arrived about 40 minutes before showtime and were happy to see that row largely vacant, except for one woman who was resting comfortably, both feet on the rail.

Well, here's the deal: she would not budge from that position to let us pass, even after each of us said "excuse me". That's right. ALL FOUR of us - two adults, two kids - had to step over both of her legs in order to get to the remaining row of vacant seats. Not only did she not move her legs, but she did not respond AT ALL (verbally nor otherwise) to our requests for easier passage.

There. I feel better.

Jon

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Are you sure she was breathing? Maybe the person before you choked her because she wouldn't let him/her pass either. :)

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Lat night I went to a Toby Keith concert and I got a seat on the 8th row. Anyway when the show started everyone stood up, as per usual. Well about a minute into one of the opening acts performances, I felt a tap on my shoulder. A nice lady behind me informed me I needed to sit down so her 8 year old son could see. I told the lady she should have bought tickets for the bleacher seats. I am not going to sit down so some kid can see better. That little bastard can stand up on his seat for all I care.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Eh, I can beat that:D

I went to the theater the other week, and two women sitting in front of me were totally trashed. In their intoxicated state they decided to give each other a play by play commentary of the action on stage. At intermission literally everyone sitting within 10 feet of them complained to the house manager, asking that they be ejected (they really shouldn't have been allowed into the theater in the first place). The manager wouldn't kick them out, but had a long talk with them which did seem to quiet them, though one of the women was outraged that people had complained about her.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Last movie I saw a few months back, there was a couple who refused to get up (before the movie) or even shift their feet to make it easier for us to pass and get to our seats. My wife and I said excuse me, twice, and got no response.

I said "ok, I guess I'm going to have to step on your feet", and I did. That cleared the way for my wife.

I know your kids were with you, so this wouldn't have been a good thing to do, but if they weren't I think I'd say you should have just walked right through this woman and knocked her legs off the rail.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Was this the only way through? Why give them the time of day by asking them more than once. Either they were out of it or were seeking your attention like those folks that like to light up their cell phone 50 times a movie. I would have ignored them altogether and gone the other way.

40 minutes early to a movie??? Someone here's not a procrastinator. ;)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I was watching stand-up comedy on Comedy Central today, and heard this quote. I thought you guys would like it...

"I was in a movie theatre trying to hear the movie over a guy yakking on his damn cell phone. I looked down and saw my WWJD braclet and thought, "What would Jesus do"? So I lit him on fire and sent him to Hell!" - Daniel Tosh

So what if the kids are there? Since she wasn't responding, Jon should have just responded for her or something. However, if there was an alternate path then I would have taken that.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Why not simply tap the person on the shoulder and ask if they're ok since they didn't respond, as imho this would of been acceptable for this situation? I know most likely this person was attempting to be rude intentionally and didn't want you and yours on the other side of her but at least it would of been a great example for your children to see that you were polite and then showed concern (and maybe being a little "rude" back to this person).

What I hate the most is the idiots who seem to yell back and forth to one another and those who won't shut off their mobiles.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
To me, rudeness has become an artform and is very widespread these days. Grocery stores, fast food joints, etc..... people just simply exhibit a selfish attitude...
The other day, a friend and I went into a grocery store for just a couple of items; well he had 2 items and I had 1..... a checker opened a new lane and we stepped over to it, before I could position myself, someone "ran" in front of me with a whole basket of stuff.... then just kinda sneered at me...... Then they paid with foodstamps which wouldn't cover what they had.... so they had to mess around with putting some things back! It took FOREVER. I usually have great patience but this pushed it to the limit.....

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
People are such dicks these days. I make a point to not even go into stores anymore other then to get groceries, you can't order them online here yet. For movies, if I can't wait till the DVD comes out I wait a couple of weeks after the release then go at the latest time at night in the middle of the week. It sucks that I have to work my schedule that way, but the pay off is worth it. You never have hassles.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member

No, but it was the only sensible way through. The woman was sitting about six seats into the row. If we'd have reversed and gone the other way, the four of us would have had to return to the aisle, walk down the aisle to the front, then all the way across the theater, up the other aisle, and then to our seats.

Of course, once the incident was over, a dozen alternative courses of action came to mind other than merely stepping over her legs (including simply walking right "through" them or shouting "Move your f***ing legs!"). In hindsight, though, I think the best response is to ask politely if her legs are functioning and, if so, why she will not move them.

I will admit, though, it was hard not to feel smug when she spilled an entire large drink into her lap. :D

Jon

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I would have looked at her and said with a big smile "Hey, I always said I was a big believer in Karma"

Would have pissed her off, but it would be delightful to see and do!

Brent

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I would have gone to concessions, purchased a large cherry coke, then "accidentally" dumped it all over her while trying to climb over her legs.

Nice to hear she accomplished that all by herself.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

It's the little things like that that make me believe there is such a thing as "karma". :D

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
My last theater experience was on Christmas Day to see ROTK. We were treated to a nearby couple that were wearing so much musk oil that it made our eyes water, a child who's parents let him bring in his new "talking" Hulk toy that he kept activating over and over again, a parent who brought in an infant (no more than 2-3 months old) who wasn't too happy to be in a big, darkened room with lots of loud noises, and of course, the obvious ones, chair kickers behind us and cell phone addicts. No more for me thank-you. With the current cost of movie tickets, its not worth the aggravation. Seriously, I cant remember the last time I went to a theater and did NOT encounter rude behavior.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I guess I must be lucky - or maybe there's something about Minnesota ( I doubt it) - but I have only encountered one rude incident in a theater in my life (54 years), which was solved once I asked the party to please be quiet. I don't attend anywhere near as many movies as I used to, and I tend now to go at non-prime hours, but I should have at least some stories to tell but I don't. Knock on wood!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

This was a good payoff to this story, IMHO.

Anyway, I don't go to that many movies in the theater, the last 3 have been Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc. and Star Wars: Episode 2. Anyway, when I got around to going to Finding Nemo there was a whole 5 people in the theater including my now X-girlfriend and I. Of course, that was a regular croud compared to when myself and my 2 friends were the only ones in the theater watching Monsters Inc. Now that was cool to have the whole theater to yourself and be able to have a chat, although I think that we even whispered then too.

Star Wars, huge croud, no problems.

Jon, thanks for this story, and I certainly don't blame you for taking some pleasure in her spilling her drink like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks