Theater Room Size Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JamesP, Jan 30, 2005.

1. JamesP

JamesP Extra

My wife and I bought our first house about 6 months ago, and now that we are all moved in and Christmas is over and the dog (7 months old now) is pretty much trained, it is home theater room time.

In my basement I have the stairs running down the middle of the house and I have the furnace, washer and dryer on one side and I have an existing finished room on the other and an unfinished space behind it. The unfinished area is approximately 13' by 10.5' and the finished room is about 10' by 10.5'. I am trying to decide whether I want to knock the wall out between the rooms and build a big room for the home theater with a big computer desk in the back, or do I make the one room a computer room and have the the theater in the 13x10.5' area.

So how big of a projected screen can I get over 13'? If I can get around 80' screen, I will just have that room as my theater room and forget knocking out the wall, if not, there will be alot more work for me to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

James

2. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

Hi James,

I'm no expert on HT, but have learned some things since I started construction on my HT room.

In my opinion, knock out the wall and make a bigger HT room. You should be able to have a screen of 100" to 120" diag or more depending on ceiling height. You also will have more seating room and a better spacing of your speakers from the seats. My HT room is 12.5'x 24.5'x 7.0'. Although I am still in the construction phase, I love the size of the room (I only wish my ceiling were higher). Click on the link to view my HT room progress. I will be adding new pictures soon as I have added 9 sconce wire boxes and DRIcore panels to the floor.

Check out other HT's photos for ideas.

Good luck [​IMG] and post pictures if you can.

Dan

http://community.webshots.com/user/danjh38

3. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

It all depends on priorities. For me the theater room comes first. I would knock out the wall and turn the whole area into the theater. But that's me.
    How many people are going to be watching at one time? Are you going to need more than 1 row of seats? If not then the 13'x10.5' area should be fine.

Every projector is different in regards to throw distance. What is your budget? I highly recommend the Panasonic 700. Great projector and super easy to setup in almost any room. At 13' feet it will project an image anywhere in between 65" to 128".
    This info is readily available at Projector Cental

4. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit