What's new

Theater Research Sub Noise (1 Viewer)

Ross Chapman

Auditioning
I have a 200 watt Theater Research sub and I am having a problem with it distorting at peak levels.

This is what happens, during parts of movies where loud prolonged low base sounds are present like a space ship passing overhead the sound begins at a normal rumblimng tone but at the pitch of the sound or at it's end the tone sounds somthing like a frapping sound which I know cant be right.

This sub is high quality and brand new, the same thing happens with a 100 watt Paradigm I also have :frowning:

Does anyone know how I can prevent this from happening?

Also, this was happening so often with my Paradigm sub during DVD playback it made me think something was wrong with the sub, I have acquired a box set of Theater Research speakers from a contact in the US, it consists of a sub , center, 2 rears and 2 fronts, 800 watts total handeling power.
Since Theater Research is not sold in Canada can anyone give me their opinion on the brand
I'm impressed with the sound out of such a small speaker package :)

Thanks everyone

Ross

Ross Chapman

Auditioning
I feel kind of embarassed, I did a search for Theater Research and found nothing but stories of people all over the US and Canada that were approcahed by people selling speakers from the trunks of cars, anyways thank god I haven't paid for them.

My question still stands as I have the same problem with my paradigm sub
Thanks
Ross

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like the sub is either underpowered or it simply cannot reproduce the frequencies during those scenes, and I'd expect it is the latter. The only way to prevent it, is to turn it down. Have you calibrated using an SPL meter? You may have your sub set too hot (volume). What model is the Paradigm?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks