What's new

Theater prices in Canada: A Brief Rant (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Grrr.

Last night (and this morning), the local news announced that Famous Players, one of the big movie theater chains in Canada, was "simplifying" it's pricing structure.

Regular evening shows have dropped by around a buck. It's now 10.95 for an adult ticket. Period. However, there are now no "cheap Tuesdays" (a long-running deal) and no cheap matinee tickets. $10.95 across the board.

They say that this is being done "for the customers" as their previous ticket-pricing structure was "confusing".

Confusing. Yah. Tell me another one! What the hell was confusing about Tuesdays and afternoon shows being cheaper than 12 bucks? *sigh*

In the aftermath, Cineplex Odeon (the OTHER major theater chain) has announced they'll be doing the same. (I guess this price structure has been used "successfully" elsewhere in Canada.)

Yet another reason for me to avoid the theaters, and stick to DVD.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Tony Winnipeg's been a test market for that single rate for almost a yaer now (possibly longer) but out here its much cheaper ($8.50 cdn) and it seems to be working as the last few times I've been to the theater it seems to have more people in the seats then when prices were higher. Also now that prices are flat you don't have to fight the long lineups on tuesday's

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes,

The forces of Amerikan liberation are soon to arrive. The new price structures are coded messages that fifth column elements will use to prepare for ZERO HOUR. It will come my new friends....on a tuesday.

Dudes,

Chester

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I guess I should count my blessings in the US. While I haven't been to a night show in a long time the price isn't too bad at $7 but anymore I go to the theater it is during the day and if I get there at first show, I pay $4.25.

But yes If I lived in Canada that'd be real motivation to build and use my home theater more often.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's $9.50 or $10.25 American for one here, depending on whether I hit the AMC or Loews. The second-run theaters are $6.

Not that I've actually paid that in a while; it's pretty easy to find

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

Damn Chester that was funny!! :D

I know that movie companies have been wanting to do away the price structure that is currently setup here in the states.

I'm not sure how well received what is going on up in Canada would be a received here in the states. There probably would be a revolt from those who take their kids to matinees on the weekends. I know for myself, we just go to matinees for most of our viewings, but for like the big blockbuster movies we do go to evening shows of opening night.

Paul

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Well, I've actually avoided Tuesdays for a long time now...KNOWING it would be packed. However, I did take advantage of matinee pricing whenever I could.

I dunno, it's not so much that I'm upset about a single-price, but the fact that it's being promoted as being done "for the customer" and because the previous system was "confusing". I'm sure many customers asked for simpler pricing. :rolleyes

Of course, this is only going to make my DVD-addiction worse. :D

StephenA

Screenwriter
Guess I'm lucky. The Local theater near me is 7 dollars for adults and 4.75 for kids and senior citizens for nights and 4.75 for matinees. It used to be 6.50 and 4.50 before, but since they renovated the place and went from 8 to 12 screens, I can't really complain.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
What a joke!!!

Since I work nights I love the fact that I can go see a movie at 4:30 on a Friday and still make tennis for 7.

Whatever happened to $2.00 Tuesdays?? $4,25 Tuesdays. WHY would I care when I went?

Another reason why I don't buy the extras anymore at the theatre. They complain that no money is being made on ticket sale, but I don't see them stopping people from bring in drinks and such.

For the customer .... right!

Brent

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
Bleh. I'll believe it when I see it at theatres in Toronto. I went to a weekend matinee this past Saturday and it was $11.50!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
If this is true, well, I kind of don't mind it...better than the damnable $14 they charge for evenings here. I never go to the "cheap Tuesday" shows anyways - the most obnoxious people imaginable go instead. :)

Losing the matinee prices sucks though.

Tony, are most of the theaters still have out-of-focus projection? I have avoided theaters since the beginning of the year - I am still angry at them.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Guys, this was actually announced about a month ago, and there was quite a long discussion on redflagdeals.com about it.

What the deal was supposed to be was $9 across the board: tuesdays, matinees, all other times, and children and senior pricing as well.

Perhaps they're introducing it in phases, I don't know.

I really dislike going to the theaters and haven't gone in maybe 6 months. I put all my money into my theater. But my non HTF savvy friends always want me to go with them. I feel like I'm distancing myself from them, which is what I don't want.

Actually, one quote from that thread over at redflagdeals I took away was "if you REALLY need to see a movie right as soon as it comes out, you need to find a hobby".

The bad thing for us, Max, and Tony... is that I guess this frees up Canyon Meadows theater to raise prices by a buck or two, as there's no longer cheap movie competition, so prices will go up across the board.

I'm happy that prices aren't $13.50 anymore but this is nowhere near enough to get me back in the theaters.

I remember when I was a kid living in Kamloops we could go see a tuesday or matinee movie for 2.50.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
It's true Max...no April Fool's joke...unless they decided to do jokes a day early. Heard about it on QR radio yesterday.

I've seen it Brent. Not at my local theater mind you, but I've seen it. Plus they all have big signs up saying "no outside food/drink allowed."

The silly thing is I wouldn't MIND paying over-the-top prices for popcorn if the popcorn was actually GOOD. :P

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I haven't had good popcorn in years. possibly 10 of them.

any recommendations?

Sorry Tony. I didn't know where you lived. I am in Canyon Meadows/Southwood, so yeah, CM theater is close for me. Didn't they put a cheap theater in Northill? that's probably the closest to you I guess. How do you like lifing so far north?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Yeah. Don't eat theater popcorn. :D

Actually, my current favorite to whip up for a movie is Orville Reddenbacher's (sp) Corn-On-The-Cob. Don't know why it's called that...no cobs in sight, but it's the best nuked popcorn I've ever had. Next to old fashioned oil-popped stuff, it rocks. Nice 'n buttery...if you like that.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Cheap theater in Northhill? Not that *I* know of...but I could be wrong. :) I *DO* know that they took out the last 70mm "panorama" screen in Calgary when they wrecked the old NH cinema a few years back. *sigh*

Off-Topic: Love living in Arbour. Great area. Unless I have to visit someone in MacKenzie Towne. ;) Then I need to pack a day-bag. :D (FYI for folks who don't live in Calgary...we have HUGE "urban sprawl". The city is physically around the size of New York, with less than a tenth of the population. For some reason, we keep growing OUT, rather than UP.)

Back on-topic: So out of curiosity folks... how do the prices in your area compare? Do you like this one-price-all-times structure?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks