Theater Premiere: What Movie to Show?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Torgny Nilsson, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Thanks to everyone at the Home Theater Forum, I hope to have my FP home theater up and running by Friday. Which raises the question of what movie I should show my friends for the premiere? I need suggestions for one movie for grown-ups and one that the kids (and grown-ups) would like?

I am considering the old (or new) stand-bys: Star Wars Ep. II, the Lord of the Rings movies, and Finding Nemo. Anything else I should consider?

Thanks.

2. John S

John S Producer

T3?? Pirates Of The Caribian? I'm waiting for Return Of The King before I have my offcial opening party.....
    (Well aside from the Super Bowl in HD anyways)

POTC is a way better movie than I thought it would be though.... That would have my vote, as I still find a fair amount of people never seen it for whatever reason.

And talk about show'n off an HDTV!!!!!! Sweet....

3. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

That might be a good choice for the adults. I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I thought that it actually lived up to all the buzz. But I think it is too intense for the kids in my neighborhood (who range in age from 1 to 11).

4. John S

John S Producer

Hmmm.. What do you show a 1 year old???? lol
    Hard to walk that line somewhat onb the age thing...

I'm way to much of a loser to ever have kids though, so I wouldn't know. If I was a kid, I would sure like POTC...

5. Michael FF

Michael FF Stunt Coordinator

Whenever someone is experiencing my home theater for the first time (Sharp 9000 DLP throwing on about a 100" 16:9 screen), I usually begin with either "The Pines of Rome" or "Firebird Suite" from the dvd: Fantasia 2000. Either of these shorts will "blow the audience away."

For full length features:
    1."Vertical Limit" is stunning in its color and 3-D like depth.
    2. "Monster Inc." or "Spirit" or "Dinosaur" are excellent choices for all ages. "Monster Inc. especially, will allow your projector to "show off its stuff" with incredible image and 3-D like depth!! Your audience will rave about your home theater!!

I hope this helps. [​IMG]

6. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

You can't go wrong with any of the Pixar movies. IMO.
    How about Time Bandits or Monty Python's Holy Grail?
    Kids seem to get that one faster than the adults.

7. mike_bianchi

mike_bianchi Extra

For me: Braveheart.

I have refused to watch this on regular TV/video since it came out at the theatre.

Having just completed phase 1 of my HT, I bought the DVD and my wife and I are having our gala premier on Thursday!

Wahooo...

8. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    I was about to type "you can't go wrong with any of the Pixar movies", then I saw that Mitch J had said exactly that.

There is a reason why Tweeter, CC, BB and others always have Toy Story on when you are looking at plasma sets.

9. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

When I was testing my new set-up I was using Sherk. My wife and kids didn't even care that I didn't have the sound hooked up yet. They sat there for more then 1/2 hour with no sound. It looked pretty amazing.

10. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

Aside from all the ones already mentioned you could also watch:

Spider-man (Always a crowd pleaser. Amazing PQ and SQ)
    X-men 2 (1 is ok but the second film was just better in all aspects)
    the Indiana Jones trilogy (I'm almost positive the younger set would not have seen these before, but they should!)
    Jurassic Park or Lost World (may be a bit "intense" but kids love dino's right?)
    the Harry Potter films (I know some people complain on the PQ of this one but its Harry Potter! Kids love this film!)

11. Rick Faldo

Rick Faldo Stunt Coordinator

This is an easy one for me. Finding Nemo. Fantastic imagery and good for all ages.
    Rick

12. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

I'm usually pretty prudish when it comes to what I allow my kids to see, but I had no problem showing them Pirates. They are ages 3, 6, and 9. The 3 year old really didn't care much about what was on screen, but the others loved every second...

- Jack

Of course, I've had to change bedsheets all week from their nightmares, but that's no biggy [​IMG] J/K!

13. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

Just as a side note. I have two kids one 11 and the other 4 who love Jurassic Park and Pirates. But found Indy 1 and 2 a little too intense. When you start thinking about the melting faces, hearts being ripped out and monkey brains. Maybe you will realize what I didn't remember before we started showing it.

14. mike_bianchi

mike_bianchi Extra

Beetlejuice is another one to beware of. It came out before PG-13 was created so it got a PG rating but includes an "F-bomb".

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Guys, c'mon, this is not a Display Devices-type discussion. Ergo, we are now here in Software - Film and Documentary.

16. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

We are in the planning stages of building a new house right now (which will include a theater room), so I've given this subject a lot of thought. I have to go with my all time favorite - Jaws. Most kids younger than 15 haven't seen it. Fantastic film. Great to show in a crowd, even if some have seen it.