Theater Pics Updated!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Simon, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I changed my bedroom setup around a bit with the new addition of a Sony Wega TV.... The 16:9 mode is excellent...
    Also drooped the Sony 9000ES in the big theater, and replaced it with the RP91..... Enjoy my sickness... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

2. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Your out of Control BigGuy.. [​IMG]
    Now you need more Amps. [​IMG]
    Good Stuff!..
    ------------------
    Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    Updated new digital pictures!

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    You still need a FPTV!
    Nice looking ad ons.
    Parker

4. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Very nice. I like your setup. Or should I say set-ups [​IMG]
    Jon

5. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

I wish my wife would let me have a bedroom theater [​IMG]
    Great looking system(s) you have there Steve, I bet they sound even better [​IMG]
    rin

6. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Here's to multiple HT setups under a single roof!! I like your style, Steven. Now you have SACD and DVD-Audio capability, is that right? Or did you sell off the 9000ES?
    I lost my bedroom HT to having two setups on the main floor. I will have one in the living room with a 65" RPTV and a family room with a FPTV of 106".
    A big thumbs up to your systems!!
    ------------------
    Sound InSight Audio Video
    My Home Theater Pics
    My Equipment List
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection
    [Edited last by Steven Simon on July 26, 2001 at 09:06 AM]

7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    By the way,
    I had my Studio 40's magnetically shielded......
    My space is a little small there, so I didn't have much of a choice...
    Also I'm going to bulid a shelf behind the Weag, to support the Studio CC... The new Tv was a little shaky with holding that monster CC...
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator

8. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I still have both... SACD and DVD Audio..... The Sony 333 is 2 Channel SACD...
    I haven't hooked up the DVD Audio yet though [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator

9. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

And I thought I had a problem! Very nice, Steve. And thanks for the smokes and carrying case!

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  11. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Congratulations, fellow sickie! This never ends, does it?
    I finally took the plunge and just ordered one of the new black RP-91's myself. It should be here any day now. In my case, the RP-91 is replacing the Toshiba 5109, which my daughter will "inherit" unless I get a good offer for it somewhere else.
    So on the DVD side (both audio and video) I will have the Sony 9000ES for DVD and SACD, and the RP-91 for DVD and DVD-Audio + all the other goodies (MP3, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, whatever.)
    The Toshiba was a fine unit (and I'll miss the double tray a bit for triple headers.) It also handled HDCD (does the RP-91? I think it does). Another aspect of the RP-91 (pun intended) which is enticing is its ability to scale non-anamorphic DVDs to fill the "Full" (normal) screen projected by my Sony VW10HT. I'll be able to give you a report of an A/B shootout between anamorphic and non-anamorphic (but scaled) versions of the same movie once everything gets hooked up here. If this scaling is half as good as everyone is claiming I'll see it on the 110" screen and the RP-91 will have paid for itself (and then some) since over 250 DVDs in my collection are widescreen non-anamorphic and I'll probably not replace them if they look good. The bane of the early adopter - but with a small consolation pot at the end of the non-anamorphic rainbow.
    [​IMG]
    BTW, I'm going to be interested in seeing how the RP-91 stacks up against my factory modified (service bulletin) Sony 9000ES. My particular 9000ES now shows absolutely no evidence of the "chroma bug" (Toy Story menu, etc.) It will be an interesting series of comparisons.
    Did you do much A/B watching while you still had the 9000ES?
    Take care.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

12. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Looks excellent Steven...enjoy! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

13. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Raf,
    My Sony did have the Chroma bug..... I didn't bother to have it upgraded. The main reason I went for the Rp-91 was I didn't need 2 SACD players, and I wasn't super happy with the video portion of the 9000..... The Pani looks better to my eyes....
    Let us know what yoiu think.....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator

14. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Will do, Steve.
    For the record, let me clarify that the upgrade on the Sony 9000ES was not for the "chroma bug" but was for the vertical banding that showed up quite clearly on my Sony VW10HT projected on a 110" screen. However, once the "chroma bug" article came out (after I had the service mod) I swear that my 9000ES does not exhibit the characteristics shown in the "Secrets of..." April, 2001 article. Especially clear is the Toy Story menu. The blue is rock solid. (Not so with the Toshiba 5109). It will be interesting to see how the RP-91 compares.
    Like I said to some others who e-mailed me, I'm not sure if I had the chroma "bug" befgore the mod since I didn't look for it. I was concentrating on the striping which is, of course, now completely eliminated. Are the two items related? Who knows? There was a modification made to the circuitry in the area of the component outputs. But the 9000ES continues to amaze me and the build quality is top notch. The appeal to me of the RP-91 was the price, the DVD-Audio (which I wanted to add), compatibility with MP3, CD-R/RW, etc.) and, of course, scaling of non-anamophic titles. And of course you know how I am with the latest stuff.
    Damn you, Obiwan!!
    [​IMG]
    Finally, for those of you who don't know what "fix" for the 9000ES I'm talking about, here's the gist of a message I had posted last winter (now long gone with the software changeover). For your perusal....
    --------------- (original info follows) -------------
    This message is intended for all owners of the SONY DVPS9000ES DVD/SACD player. There has been talk of a Service Bulletin that addresses the “Vertical Banding Problem” that appears as faint gray lines, noticeable mostly in white and other light backgrounds. My unit exhibited this characteristic and I was able to correct it by repositioning some of the cables in the back of the unit to eliminate the lines. The problem with this “solution” is that it apparently was only a workaround since every time I changed something in my rack (which occurs fairly often) the problem reappeared and I had to position the cables all over again.
    A while back word began to circulate that there was a Service Bulletin (Bulletin #70 dated January 5, 2001) that addressed this issue. In fact, someone on the web even went so far as to post the wording of the bulletin as follows:
    "Solder 1 microHenry Inductor and 33 pf Capacitor in series between GND and the signal of Component RCA pin-Jack Y terminal (green) J403 on VP-52 board, Side B. Note Solder L to GND on (GND side)"
    The wording seems to indicate addressing a problem that filters out unwanted signals (the vertical banding).
    I can now state, without reservation, that this fix is a real one and should be done by every DVPS9000ES owner who has ever noticed any banding. Actually, I would do this if I owned this product even if I never saw the problem because you never know when it crops up. The only exception to this would be, of course, if your unit already has the modification. Unfortunately, I don’t have any information on Serial Numbers affected (mine is 801085 purchased on 11/22/00) and I don’t know if you will get much help from Sony on this.
    The reason that I am so sure that this modification works is that I just got back my unit from the Sony Service Center today and the vertical banding is completely gone! The picture on the 9000ES was great to start with (especially when I was able to tweak out the banding) and now it is nothing short of phenomenal. While it’s impossible for me to run an A/B test I’ve looked at quite a few of my DVDs with white and light backgrounds and, from memory, the difference is significant. One track that I am very familiar with since I’ve played it over and over because of the great sound and presentation is the last piece from Fantasia 2000 – The Firebird. The backgrounds are now rock solid and the images are astounding. Another favorite from that Rhapsody in Blue, DVD (and constantly requested by my grandchildren), also has rock solid backgrounds throughout. That’s not opinion, but fact.
    In other words, yes, Virginia there is a DVPS9000ES service mod and it is the real deal!
    And now on to the particulars. Sony Customer Service is a rather odd group to work with. In the first place it is impossible to talk to a technician on the phone. You would have to live near a Service Center where they actually do the work to get any technical information. And not all service centers actually service the products. The one closest to me (in Paramus, NJ) is actually a depot. They send out all the repairs on DVD players to Bristol, PA (near Philadelphia) so be forewarned.
    Based on my experiences here are the steps I recommend that you take to initiate your Service Modification. It worked for me and it might save you a bit of aggravation.
    Step 1: Call The Sony Customer Information Center at 1-800-282-2848. Be prepared to wade through a series of telephone menus (and, perhaps wait for 30 minutes or more) before you finally get to talk to a “live” service rep. Once you give all the usual information, Serial Number, Dealer’s Name (I hope you used an authorized Sony Dealer), and Date of purchase (this one is kind of interesting since the 9000ES came out last fall and carries a 5 year warranty) the person on the phone will ask you what the problem is. You state you are getting vertical banding, etc. Whatever way you want to word it. The person on the phone will ask you if you did a number of steps (most of which have to do with repositioning cables, etc. etc.) Obviously you answer “Yes” and then you are referred to a Sony service center for additional help. The location of your nearest center can be obtained from the same phone number or from
    http://www.sony.com/service
    Don’t expect to be able to call the Service Center to talk to a live person. The purpose of the Service Center phone numbers is apparently to give you information about how to get there and other such information. I would guess that if they took live calls they would never get any work done.
    Getting back to the rest of Step #1 – the most important thing that the telephone person will give you, once you jump through all the “did you try this?” hoops is an EVENT NUMBER. Evidently, if you show up at a service center with such a number in tow it will show you are abiding by the rules or following Sony protocol. Incidentally, when I asked the telephone person at the Customer Information Center if she was aware of a Service Bulletin #70 she said she didn’t have that type of information. Some people on the web have commented that Sony denies the existence of any such Service Bulletin but I believe that these people are confusing not knowing about the bulletin with knowing there isn’t one. Obviously there IS one, since Sony did the modification and it works!
    Step 2: With unit (and “event number” and proof of purchase) in hand go to the nearest service center. For those of you who live quite a distance away from a Service Center I would imagine that there is some way to mail the package (they might tell you at the Customer Information Center). I didn’t have to deal with this because Paramus is only about 30 minutes from me and I prefer to act in person if possible. At the Service Center they will ask you a lot of the same questions and fill out a form and receipt for you. They then either will send the unit to a Service Center where work on the DVPS9000ES is actually done (no cost to you) or, if you’re lucky, will work on the unit there. I have a suspicion that not all Service Centers work on all items so this may vary from site to site. The clerk there will tell you that the repair will take about 10-12 business days. Point of information: The clerk in Paramus was a very nice fellow, but, like everyone else I talked to, did not have any knowledge of any service bulletin or mod for the 9000ES. Once again, I think this all has to do with a “need to know basis” scenario and no subversive effort on Sony’s part to be elusive. While I don’t understand why it would be a big deal to have a database available to these people for informational purposes, that’s the way Sony Service is set up at this time.
    Step 3: Once the repairs are done your unit will be mailed back to you (UPS, no cost to you – extremely well packed in molded foam). At least one other 9000ES owner told me the work was done at his local Service Center and he was able to pick it up in person, but this will probably not be the case at many sites (like mine.) For those interested, I delivered my unit to Sony on Monday 04/02/01 and it was returned to me on 04/25/01. When I hadn’t seen anything after 3 weeks (15 working days) I called 1-800-282-2848 and was told that there had been a back order on the required parts but that they reached the Service Center on 04/19 and the repair was progressing. All in all, the repair was made quickly after the parts arrived.
    So there you are. Relatively painless, once you know the terrain and definitely worth the modification. I was able to use my Toshiba 5109 during the 9000ES’s absence so I didn’t have to go cold turkey. And I’d like to add that when I had both units in my system previously, I noticed a slightly better overall picture on the 9000ES (minus the banding once tweaked) and much better sound. Plus the SACD is awesome as an audio option. And now, with both units back in my system the 9000ES blows away the 5109 visually – and I consider the 5109 to offer a very fine picture indeed. In fact, I wonder how the 9000ES with the modification installed would fare in any shootout of high-end DVD players. I’m thinking it moves up at least a couple of notches.
    I hope that this information is of some help to my fellow DVPS9000ES owners. If you have questions I’ll try to answer them as best as I can. Some things you might have to refer to Sony (if you can get through to anyone who knows the score.)
    ----------------- (end of original message) --------------
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

15. John Morris

John Morris Guest

SS: I see you like Cohiba's. My favs are CAO Maduro Anniversarios, but I can't find them anymore. Any suggestions on where to buy them online?
    Oh yea, BTW, you got two danm nice systems to enjoy! Congrats!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc

16. Mark Mac

Mark Mac Auditioning

I seem to remember a post not to long ago about someone's theater being finally finished. Well, I think I see 2 upgrades since that post. So whats next on the shopping list? [​IMG]

17. Mike Walker

Mike Walker Auditioning

Drool...drool...
    Man one day I hope I can afford a REAL HT like that one.
    Very nice...whew...very nice indeed. [​IMG]

18. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    What's next??
    Who knows..... This hobby of ours is constantly changing, and newer and bigger gear is always coming to the forefront.....
    Hardware is my favorite part of this hobby, as you can tell [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator