theater on a 15ftX15ft room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jan_c, Jan 18, 2002.

1. jan_c

jan_c Auditioning

can i set up a home theater in a 15x15ft room with a front projection tv and 2 rows of seats?

2. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Colin Dunn
    It is likely possible from a purely technical standpoint, but you will need to plan your layout and research the equipment you wish to buy ahead of time.

Most projectors have a certain "throw distance" required to put a picture on the screen. That distance is some multiple of the screen size. Make sure the throw distance is short enough that you can get your desired picture size. (Example: If you want a 100" diagonal screen, and the throw distance for that picture size is >180" or 1.8 X the diagonal screen size, that projector won't work in your room.)

Two rows of seats will take up a lot of room. You will probably want the back row very near the back wall, and about 2-3' of leg room between rows. The two rows of seats will probably take about 8-9' of the 15' depth of the room just by themselves.

To fit this all in that size room, I suggest you look at an LCD or DLP projector, preferably mounted from the ceiling. Combine that with small "bookshelf" speakers that can be mounted on wall brackets, and a subwoofer. If you do that, you should maintain adequate floor space for the equipment rack and seating.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jan,

I have a smaller room and have front projection and 2 rows of seats. It's a bit cramped- but workable. My only issue is that the speakers are a bti too close to the outside walls- so it creates a slightly "wubby" sound. No one else has ever mentioned it- but I notice. I would say if you only have 15 feet of width- be prudent on screen size- don't go nuts. Allow yourself a good couple of feet from the outside walls for your speakers!

With a small DLP projector (like my NEC LT150) you should be able to make it work (depending on intended screen size). My screen is about 65 inches wide (16x9) and the projector has to be about 110 inches back from the screen. The bigger the screen, the further back the projector will have to be.

Hope that helps

Vince

4. jan_c

jan_c Auditioning

i think i saw one setup featured in a magazine with 133" screen on a 15X9ft room.

ideally how far should the first seats be if the screen is around 100"? 133"?

5. jan_c

jan_c Auditioning

vince,

do you have a website of your setup? i would like to see how you set it up....

jan

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Pat

Pat Agent

The only thing I can add is...it is a known fact that square rooms have horrible acoustic properties.