What's new

Theater/Movie mode on Toshiba direct view A series (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Does anyone use this to view DVDs? I've found my Theater setting on the 27A40 to be extremely bright and way too white. What is odd is setting it to Theater mode simply puts all the user controls around the middle and sets the color temperature to Warm, BUT, if I do this manually, I don't seem to get the same picture. At least I don't think so. I'm just wondering if the Theater mode is doing other internal adjustments on this line of sets.
thanks,
--tom

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What you're describing sounds odd. I have a CZ27V51 Tosh in the bedroom, and it looks great in "Theater" mode--though the set seems to push greens a bit. As I recall, the contrast is set at around 30%, brightness at 20%, "sharpness" at 0, chroma at around 30%. Very nice picture.
That brightness you describe sounds like the factory-default picture.
Do you have a copy of Video Essentials or Avia? Sounds like you need to spend an hour or two with one or the other.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I am an Avia veteran :).
I have calibrated using Avia...what I'm talking about is the factory Theater mode which can not be altered. I was wondering if anyone used this default mode because on my 27A40 the picture is way too bright and washed, and I was wondering whether it is just my set or does everyone find the Theater setting to be overly bright. As I mentioned, when I go to Theater mode, it puts all the user settings right down the middle and sets the color temperature to Warm. At least it got the Warm right :) My Avia calibrated settings are different with Sharpness at around 33 percent, brightness at 45 percent, contrast at 53 percent, color at 45 percent and tint at 60 percent. Every tv is different so I doubt these settings will mean much to others. I'm just wondering if Toshiba simply made the Theater mode in every 27A40 (and the other 2000 model A series tvs) be straight down the middle.
As for green push, on mine if there is any green push it is not more than 5 percent which really is indistinguable in the Avia color decoder pattern. I've calibrated 3 tvs with Avia and so far the Toshiba has the most balanced color decoder. Having experienced a red push for most of my life, it took some adjustment but now I'd hate to go back to the dreaded red push. I did experience a green tint in the lower end of the grayscale but a few ticks up of BCUT neutralized this. Perhaps this is what you're seeing as well. Besides the green, my only other complaint is that this tv doesn't hold black level very well which other A series owners have also commented on.
cheers,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks