What's new

Theater in a box...Help me decide (1 Viewer)

Matt Lane

Agent
I have been thinking about a "theater in a box" solution for around $500 (no built in DVD is required since I already have SD4700 Prog scan for these needs. Any suggestions would be great.

I have been looking at Sony and Kenwood.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
KENWOOD!!! I have one and love it. If you are going to go the HTB way, it by far is the most loved here.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Another vote for kenwood...

Very good reciever, nice sub, okay speakers...

I have the Kenwood VR407 that was in the kenwood HTB from two years ago, and its a great reciever for what i paid for it at the time.

Matt Lane

Agent
Thanks for the replies

So Kenwood is a good way to go? Cool at least I was on the right track. Is there anyone who likes other audio products other then the Kenwoods mentioned here. I am not only just looking for Sony or Kenwood. Any barnd up to $500 would be a good suggestion.

Thanks again to those that replied.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
I just seen a Onkyo system including receiver and 5 speakers and sub (onkyo ) for $499 at circuit city. good price for all that and the speakers look decent. seen in this weeks ad. I would go Onkyo before kenwood or other low end products.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
You may want to consider the Panasonic SC-HT400 (Link Removed) that will ship late this month. The receiver has component video and s-video switching and 100Wx6 power (one channel powers the passive subwoofer). It decodes DD, DTS, and Pro-LogicII.

Sean EH

Auditioning
Regardless of brand, I think the speakers in any package system at that price will be less than mediocre. Have you considered building your own speakers? The cabinets can be a lot of work, but the results will be FAR beyond what comes with these package systems. Check out the discussion forum at Madisound.com lots of people there will provide advice and speaker plans.

Couple of things

1) Home theater in a box will *NOT* give you great audio, so if you want to use it to listen audio cd's think again.

2) Everyone has its own listing choices, try to get an in house demo before deciding Kenwood or any other brand.

Hope this helps

Nitin

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
well you could always buy the JBL NSP-1 speaker package for $229.00 online, an Onkyo Receiver for $300.00 and a decent sub for around that price.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'd go with the suggestion above me before I'd consider the HTiB setups. The speakers are beyond poor in these setups and the subwoofers really don't produce decent low end bass. The recievers don't have preouts nor do they have much for sound quality compared to the other recievers mentioned especially the Onkyo.

In the long run you'll be much more pleased with a NSP-1 Jbl/Onkyo setup over a HTiB throw away piece. Alot of folks seem to mention they sound great(Father owns one) and quite frankly I believe alot of people don't compare these with better setups so their frame of reference is skewed a bit.

Matt Lane

Agent
Does anyone have any links to reviews of these comparing the quality. I like the Kenwood and I have always liked Onkyo. Man my choice just got a lot harder. I may have to wait a few more weeks to see if anyone has any links to comparisons on these units. Thanks for all of the replies.

Matt Lane

Agent
For the Kenwood fans out there can anyone tell me the major differences between the 205 and the 505 besides the price. Thanks

I don't have a link to any professional reviews, but judging solely by my experiences, Onkyo at any price point (but especially the entry-level) stomps Kenwood in sound quality, ease of use, and build quality. MUCH more plastc on most Kenwood receivers.

-TR

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
DITTO !!!!!!!!! dont buy the kenwood you'll regret it later when you finally do. learn your lesson early and buy the Onkyo!

take it from someone who made the same mistake and $$$$ later. you will def notice the sound quality vetween the two. no comparison kenwood would lose hard!

Matt Lane

Agent
Well I will have to go and listen to the Kenwood and the Onkyo now. Thanks for all of the suggestions and keep them coming if you have any others.

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
I would have gone with a different reciever obviously in my last posts but I do have the NSP's and JBL pb-12 and I love the combo.

HarleyMYK

Agent
RCA RT2500!! Only $299 at Sams Club. Not Hi-Fi, but great value / bedroom HT and very easy setup. It even includes color coded speaker wires that match the speaker plugs. Default setup parameters will work for 95% of the installs.
Claimed 700 watts (200 for the sub and 100 for each of the other speakers). See reviews at http://www.amazon.com.
PS. If you don't like it, you can take it back.
firedevil.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks