Theater Guide?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ethan Thomas, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Ethan Thomas

Ethan Thomas Auditioning

Does anyone know where I can find a review of different movie theaters across the country or, in particular, the Albany NY area? I have recently moved to the area after living in Tampa FL and I must say that I have been rather disappointed with the theater experience thus far. [​IMG] Any information would be useful and if it could be posted before TTT comes out all the better. [​IMG] Thanks peoples!

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Nothing in Bennington to your liking? :wink:
    There's a bunch of members here that live in the capital district of NY, so they should be able to help.
    If you're ever in the northern part of the state, you should visit the Essex Outlets Cinema. Best theater in Vermont, and where I'll be viewing TTT repeatedly!

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Reead some of the forums over at www.film-tech.com - you should be able to find someone who works at a theater in your area and can give you a rundown.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Hi Ethan!
    I have never reviewed a movie theater and am unsure where to begin.
    But I've been to the Hoyt's Cinemas (8 screens)in East Greenbush, the Hoyt's Cinemas in Crossgates Mall (18 & 12 screens) in Guilderland, and the Hoyt's Cinemas (10 screens) at the Circle Mall in Latham. I've also been to the two independent theaters in Albany, the Madison (7 screens) and Spectrum (7 screens).
    Are you looking for reviews of audio, video, popcorn, seats, atmosphere? I'm not being flippant, but I'm wondering what you're interested in.
    The Hoyt's 18 is the newest fanciest of the lot, with the Spectrum carrying a more eclectic assortment of titles (and REAL butter on the popcorn!). If you're thinking about which theater is going to give you the best viewing of TTT, Hoyt's 18 at Crossgates Mall on Western Avenue in Guilderland (right at the southern end of I-87) would be the place to be.
    Hope that helps. If you have other questions, post them here or e-mail me. There are others HTFers from the Capital District whom I'm sure would be glad to help and I will steer your way if you'd like. [​IMG]

5. Ethan Thomas

Ethan Thomas Auditioning

I was looking for best picture and sound quality because I rarely buy popcorn and the likes because I like to actually have some money left in my wallet when I leave the theater. [​IMG]
    Unfortunately there is one large screen here in Bennington that the guy who runs the place doesn't take care of and they aren't getting TTT anyway, the other place in town is and I just don't like their theaters... on top of that they aren't having a midnight showing there and really I don't want to wait any longer than midnight. It's almost enough for me to want to open my own place but Bennington just couldn't support it.
    And thank you Mike, I have been to the Hoyt's 18 at Crossgates and so far that had been the best but I was just wondering if maybe there was something else in the area that was slightly better. It's all good though, that will definitely do since they are intelligent enough to actually have a midnight showing...
    Now, just wish me better luck than last year where we all get sent home 2 hours into LOTR because the film broke and they couldn't just fix it for some god awful reason...

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    How about the Village Picture Shows in Manchester? They're getting TTT. I've never been there, but the blurb below makes it sound pretty good.
    Village Picture Shows - Manchester's premier movie theater experience. Village Picture Shows offers all new state-of-the-art projector and Dolby Digital sound found in a beautiful turn-of-the-century style venue. Hollywood first runs, classics, art and foreign films. Shows daily.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Picture and sound, eh? Where are your priorities, man? [​IMG]
    Yup, X-gates 18 it is, then! I just saw Die Another Day there and got blown away by the sound. I actually spent most of the movie wondering how good the DVD is gonna sound at home. Tons o' bass!