What's new

Theater gets REALLY HOT (not from equipment) (1 Viewer)

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Hi all,
I have a serious summertime problem. I do not have central air in my house and the windows in my theater do not support AC units. The room is 12x15. One of the 15' walls is essentially all windows and one 12' wall is also windows. I have shades (cheapo white roll down from homedepot) that adequately block light. The problem is that the sunlight passing through the glass heats the hell outta the place. Is there some sort of UV blocking plastic or something that one can stick to the glass to prevent this? It gets hotter in the room that it is outside sometimes (90 degrees!!!). I have a portable AC I wheel in there but it is loud and only 8000BTU (about as high as these units go for $1200!!!).
Thanks in advance
Marc

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Tint your windows. Also, can you install awnings or some sort of patio cover over the top that extend out to help block direct sun light on the windows?

Peace Out~:D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
At the very least, I would investigate small fans for circulating air in your equipment rack.

Jacques C

Stunt Coordinator
Shutters on the outside can do wonders. Tinting can help as well.

If you have an attic you can get a decent sized inline fan (www.smarthome.com has some) to pull air in from a room that has the AC connected to it. Only cost you $100 or so total to do that, as long as you can handle the electrical.

shane_watson

Stunt Coordinator
links broken heres some info to help you find it at your home depot. Gila Window Films Features:

Reflects 70% of summer heat outside

Retains 55% of winter heating indoors

Reduces up to 99% of harmful UV rays

Saves money, reduces utility bills, improves comfort

Safe for single and dual pane windows

The most energy-efficient year round film

Includes English and Spanish illustrated instructions

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Look into a mini split ductless AC system for your HT, very low air noise and slim profile, using HD Gila window tinting film is a very good idea, I used the 70% and it really works well, my only gripe is that apparently GILA's film quality is not very consistent between batches, my last roll was a PITA to install because the film wrinkled very easily,I had to be extra careful and modify my installation technique.good luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2309069864

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Marc,

I turned my bonus room which is located above the garage into a dedicated home theater room. I knew a room located above a garage can tend to get warmer than the rest of the second floor rooms , so I took that into account. I installed an inline duct fan in the ducts going into my HT room that I bought at Smarthome.com. I also tinted the window with the Gila window film found at Hdepot.
And I insulated the heck out of the room too.

Hopefully I have taken all measures to insure that my HT room will be as cool as it can be this summer.

Try the duct fan and tint those windows.
Whenever you're in there watching a movie, you can just flip the duct fan switch on and it will force more cooled air from the other rooms into your HT room. It should definately help.
Good lUck!

Troy

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, The duct fans are not an option because I have not ducts anywhere in my house. The ductless system sounds like a good home-improvement because I could get a 3 zone system and cool the whole first floor (which is also quite hot but not as hot as the theater room) essentially after my 2nd child is born in July. I think for now I am going with the film and then the ductless system. A great time for a home equity loan..
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and links!

Marc

T r o y

Supporting Actor
MarcE,

That's cool your second is coming in July! :emoji_thumbsup:

If the doc's due date is correct, I'll be having my second one right before yours in June!:D

Looks like I'll have to adjust the ole' volume knob ..just ... a pinch :frowning:

Have a good one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks