What's new

Theater finally started (1 Viewer)

Dan_Morez

Agent
Hi everyone, I've been a member here for about a year now and still love reading it on a daily basis. There's alot of good advice to be taken from this forum. Keep up the good work everyone! As for my story and question, I've finally started the process of building my dream theater. We (me and the wife)just purchased a new house and specifically looked for one that had a unfinished basement big enough for the theater. I think we did pretty good, we'll have a room that's 14'-0 X 30'-0 with 7'-9" ceilings. It shows no signs of water leaks anywhere but for protective measures in the future I acid washed the walls and used 3 coats of dry-lok paint and am now ready to start on the floor. The floor is in excellent condition too, with the normal spiderweb cracking in some areas. Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to fix these? I'll eventually be putting a subfloor down using (can't remember the name of the product) a hard plastic bubble-rap looking material with 3/4" plywood over it. Another question I have is about the lighting. I'd like to have a programable lighting system that can be programed for different moods and can also be used with a remote. Anyone know some good companys to look at for this?
This whole process seems to be going good so far, starting with drawn sketchs to actual serious blueprints, but still can seem alittle overwhelming. There's SO many different things to think about that you just hope your not forgetting something and at the end say, SH*t! I should of done it that way! Or, Damn! I didn't even think of that! So any advise here would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any responses I may get back. Have a good one y'all! Look forward to hear'n from ya.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Dan:

I am also in the midst of building a theater in my basement, although it has turned into a "completed basement project" now (enclosing laundry room, adding in a bathroom, etc.). Good luck on your project and remember to take pictures! File them in a "project book", or make a web page and post them. You will be happy you did!

I can help you on your lighting dilemma. Check out Smart Home . I ordered their catalog and there is a wealth of info and products in it. I don't know if they are the cheapest (someone else can chime in here), but they have the products you would be looking for (X-10, plus they have their own brand system).

John

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
As far as for the cracks if they are just spider webs don't worry about them. The only thing that will happen if you fill them is possibly give you a little piece of mind. Just think what happens when you carpet a new basement floor. In reality your not going to pull up the carpet to fill those cracks so why worry about the minor ones now?

Dan_Morez

Agent
Thanks for the url john, I checked the site out and they have a couple things that are exactly what I'm looking for. as for the camera, well, I've had all intentions on getting a digital camera but it just hasn't happened yet, to many other expenses...I'll take regular photos though, just to have some kind of record and will post them when possible. As for the cracks in the floor...that makes alotta sense Mark...I'm having second thoughts about repairing them now...plus I'd let me get to the framing that much quicker too, which would be great! Thanks for the posts guys, much appreciated!

Ken-Ha

Grip
Dan, I just started 4 days ago on my basement HT. The subfloor you talked about are either Dricore or Delta Subfloor. I bought the Delta one but I know someone else bought Dricore. They are basically the same thing.
Best regards
Ken:emoji_thumbsup:

Dan_Morez

Agent
Ken,....delta-fl is what I was thinking of. Have you laid yours down yet? If so, how easy was it, and how well does it work? And what was the pricing on it?
I looked at the dricore link you posted, it looks like a good product too, but it kinda scares that it's not anchored down. Don't know if there'd be any vibrations from all the bass that movies can produce....Does your friend have his in a home theater setup? if so, how does he like it?.........If anyone else knows anything about this product, please post-in about it. I'd be great to get some more info on it.
Thanks for the post ken, it's been very helpful.

AllanRW

Second Unit
The Dri core I got from Home Depot.And with a pile seven feet tall I just have not layed it yet.The pile has just sat for a year in my Home Theater.The time to finish it is just not around anymore.
I hope to get to it this summer a little anyway.
So I am following those who have used it.

Al

Ken-Ha

Grip
Dan, it seems it's easier to get the Dricore from down in States. The two are basically the same thing. Yes I did most of them already and it's very easy to work with. One thing is that your concrete floor needs to be smooth no serious bumps or dips. If you do then fix them with the concrete patch first. Now both Dricore and Delta 2x2 pieces are floating subfloor (that's the way I like it), I just don't like the idea of punching holes on the concrete. But that's just me, I talked to a lot of people they said there's no problem. If you want the secure type then you need to buy the Delta subfloor manebrane (sp?). That was the type that my friend use. He likes it so much because of the warmth and no basement smell (stinky moisture smell).
Installation is very easy, matter of fact my boys (one 15 and one 13) put most of them together and I just supervise them. It's just like LEGO. One problem I ran into right now was that on one of the wall that I took down. The concrete was about 1/2 inch higher then the other part, so I need to grind it down tomorrow. Another good thing is the subfloor will slope with your concrete therefore the only leveling you need to do is the dips and bumps.
Sorry I don't have any pictures and the long post.
Ken

Hi Dan,
I just finished a 14x 24 theater in my basement, You were talking about the OH SH*T factor, well I had that problem, according to the experts, I didn't correctly place my center channel speaker, I put it to high in the wall, my right and left channel speakers are not evenly placed from the TV, I have a poured cement foundation, not a block, so I didn't water sealed it, (never leaked in in the worst rain) but I still regret not sealing it. I have no Sub-floor, carpet on thick pad right on cement. I did insulate and put a vaper barrier up behind the sheetrock. Last but not least, I put my movie posters up, thinking its very dry down here...WRONG, all the posters wrinkled and warped in side the frames. So I bought a DE-humidifier a day late and a dollar short.
Randy
My Theater

Dan_Morez

Agent
Very nice theater Randy. I like the color alot and especially like the built in dvd rack. I'll definitely be getting a dehumidifier after hearing your story. My basement stays dry, but I won't be taking any chances. Thanks for the response & Great looking theater! Let me know how the dehumidifier works for ya.

Dan: Good luck wth your theater. Mine's still under construction too (dealing with a leaky basement and low ceilings). Rather than tie up the messageboard with a lot of stuff, you can take advantage of my experiences (for what they are worth), at my home theater site (www.y2kfam.com/theater.htm).

jk3

Hi Dan,
The DE-humifier works great, the posters actually flatened out in 3 days, and you can actually feel the dryness, and believe me, I thought it was dry down there before I put the dehumifier in, but I was wrong. I'm pulling out over a gallon of water in a 24 hour period just in the theater alone. I bought a Kenmore 50 pint, the only complaint I have, which I knew and was told, is that the DE-humifier throws out heat, so the theater is a little hot, and i'm sure my electric bill is going to fell it also. Thanks for checking out my theater, I get a lot of emails about the color code for my room so other members can paint their's the same.
Randy
my theater
my dvd collection

Dan_Morez

Agent
awesome! glad it worked out for you Randy. Glad you could save your posters too! Could you send me the code for that color also?

Theaters coming along good john, can't wait to see what it looks like with the fabric on the walls, I sure it's gonna look great! Doesn't look like you have a shortage of movies huh?

Thanks for the replys guys, every little bit of info helps alot!

Another question: I'm wanna put a Delta-Fl subfloor system down first with 3/4" plywood on top and then put the framework for the walls on top of it, leaving a 1/2" gap between the concrete wall and wall frame for air. Is the Delta-Fl strong enough to support this weight?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks