Theater currently under construction

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenise, May 19, 2001.

1. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

My room is currently under construction. I hope to have it finished by the end of summer.
    [​IMG]
    I'm currenly using a draper pull down screen as a test screen.
    My room size is 11.75' wide by 37.00' long.
    My final screen will be a homemade 52x92 screen using blackout fabric.
    [​IMG]
    Help!
    How do I modify the homepage location in my profile?
    I went to my profile and there's no section on how to do this.
    ------------------
    My HT

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Lookin' good! I too have been unable to find a way to modify my signature ever since we moved back to the old software.
    Anybody know what the deal is?
    Dan
    ------------------
    Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Looks good, whats your plans? Have you drawn them up?
    Wes

4. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Well, I hope to have 3 rows of seats.
    (2) seats on the 1st row and (3) seats on rows two and three.
    I purchased a Sanyo SU07N from a pawn shop and I already have my front left and right speakers and my rear left and right speakers. I'm going to purchase a Yamaha receiver and subwoofer within the next 3 weeks. I have to hold off from buying a center channel right now because of money.
    I'm going to have a bar in the back that will hold the 6oz popcorn machine from www.htexpress.com
    I'm not going to purchase the popcorn machine anytime soon.
    The next step is to get my cousin, a friend or someone else to do the sheetrock for the walls.
    Then I'll paint the walls myself.
    Next, it's USG black ceiling tile then carpet.
    I just purchase some molding from Home Depot for the screen frame.
    I also got some Minwax stain.
    I'm too frugal to get velor.
    I went by Joann's Fabrics and looked at some black velour for the screen frame but put it back and went to Home Depot instead.
    I got the "Red Mahagony" stain from Minwax.
    I hope to have the sheetrock up next month.
    I can then start painting.

5. Dan Hitchman

What are you doing for room isolation during construction and then acoustics after the drywall is up?
    Just curious.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

6. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I'm going to use R-13 acoustical insulation for the walls and ceiling. According to an article in Audio Video Interiors magazine, 1/2 sheetrock is good for the walls instead of 5/8 sheetrock. I'll have to find out the date for that issue. I know that fabric and sound panels are better but I can't afford real sound panels. I saw this article: http://www.avscience.com/acousticpannel.htm
    I looked for shelf mounts like this from Home Depot and Lowes but was unable to fine them.
    Well, I did find some wraught irons ones from Home Depot or Lowes but the employee there told me that they had to be mounted underneath the wood not above it.
    I'm frugal and frustrated.
    [​IMG]
    With dvd wall racks on the side would light from the projector do this?
    [​IMG]
    Since I really want dvd walls racks, columns are out of the question.
    I also don't want to deal with fabric so that's why I'm using sheetrock and paint.
    I've also already purchased the "Briar Green" paint for the walls. [​IMG]
    Basically, is a room with 1/2 sheetrocks walls and r-13 acoustical insulation, ceiling with ceiling tile and r-13 insulation, built in wall racks on one side of the room and a bar in the back really going to be bad for sound?
    On a scale of 1-10 what do you think?
    Thanks.
    ------------------

7. Dan Hitchman

I would move the racks towards the back of the room, not up near the screen. The plastic covers on the keep cases, especially, will reflect light from the screen big time if close to the front. Anything like glass or plastic poster frames may reflect like a mirror, and white or light walls or ceilings too (to a lesser extent, but can still work to wash out the screen or at least make it harder to calibrate properly). The picture you used as an example is a good one to show what NOT to put near the screen and what NOT to paint the room.
    This also helps to diffuse the sound towards the back. Some people feel this is a good idea for the rear surround speakers.
    Are you doing thick, dark, retractable curtains (maybe on X-10 or IR controlled motors) on the front wall to frame the screen and black velvet matting? That'll help with absorbing some sound in the front and make the screen seem to float in a black void.
    Acoustics are a tough call. Some can over dampen the room and it becomes dead (you wouldn't even want to talk in the room it'll sound so weird), or they make it overly lively, or too much like a movie dubbing stage (why would anybody want to make a "real life" sonic "scene" in a movie sound like it was coming from inside a mixing booth?). It may take someone with more experience to look at possible room frequency nulls and peaks to determine what would work best in your situation. Perhaps someone like Dennis Erksine (sp?) or the people at RPG room diffusers.
    Dan
    ------------------

8. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

This may sound crazy but can you look at Robert's room.
    [​IMG] http://home.att.net/~rfowkes1/HT.html
    [​IMG]
    I'm using a very dark olive green to accent the brown theater chairs.
    My side walls and back will be a dark green closer to the theater featured on http://www.paulanddiane.com/theater_pics.htm. The screen wall and ceiling will be black also.
    Since I will probably get my friend to build the dvd racks towards the back of the room, maybe I will get hime to build some columns for me.
    From what I have heard on other forums, columns should help break up flat walls.
    From what I have heard also, Dennis does excellent work but everyone is not in a position to use his services.
    Instead, I'm going to have to rely on family and friends to help.
    ------------------
    My HT

9. Dan Hitchman

The home theater picture with the diva from The Fifth Element shows a room that uses too light a paint job. I wasn't necessarily commenting on your setup.
    I would paint the ceiling flat black (who cares if it's ugly... since it's a dedicated room) and possibly the area just in front of the screen and surrounding it. If you have color right up next to your screen, your eye will pick out that color frequency on the screen with a video image on it, which will skew the gray scale and color temperature calibration. It's the same phenomenon that occurs when you paint a wall (as an example) with a very slightly off-white color (like a touch of green, since that's the color you want). It looks white as a bare wall, but put a green couch up next to it and your eye picks out the green tinting on the wall immediately; it no longer looks completely white.
    The columns can be used to hide side and rear surrounds as well (if you're using smaller speakers in these positions). Fill the base with insulation to dampen it (or make it solid with thick, braced MDF-- to eliminate resonance) and place the speaker inside the hollow top portion (empty except for the frame skeleton) and then stretch acoustically transparent fabric around the speaker position on the sides and front and attach the material to the frame. The column attaches to the wall (detachable-- you never know if you'll be changing out speakers in the future). The other dummy columns could be used to hide cold air returns and/or heating/cooling ducts.
    Dan
    ------------------

10. Dan Hitchman

Here is a home theater with columns. Looks very good. Hard to tell, but they used dark green fabric colored walls on the top portion. The front is black with black ceiling.
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...000&p=35386518
    Personally, I would have built the screen stage to allow for free standing, open aired front left and right speakers a couple feet in front of the center speaker (to eliminate the clothes line effect, which occurs when all three front speakers are in a straight line, and some combing and imaging problems).
    Dan
    ------------------

11. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Yes, thanks very much for the info.
    This theater is the best one that I have seen from Dennis.
    I have seen this one before and I really it.
    I'll paint the walls flat black about 7 feet from the screen on the left and right walls.
    New and improved pictures from Sierra Home Architect.
    This is a scenario of what my room might look like:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One set of DVD wall racks have been removed.
    Flat black paint has been shown on the left and right side walls.
    ------------------
    http://geocities.com/myhometheater/

12. Dan Hitchman

Very nice! [​IMG]
    Where will the equipment rack go and the speakers (the pictures may be too dark for my computer as I can't make them out)?
    Still considering a few columns?
    Dan
    ------------------

13. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

The front left, front right and center speakers will be up front with the screen. The rear speakers will be mounted on the wall behind row three. The subwoofer will probably be on the left side of the room up front. I'm going to get another subwoofer for the rear of the room. Probably on the right side in the rear.
    The equipment rack will go in the back past the door on the side opposite the dvd rack.
    I'm still trying to decide what type of columns to use, round or square.
    I guess when people think of columns they think of round.
    I'll have to see what a friend can come up with.
    ------------------
    http://geocities.com/myhometheater/

14. Dan Hitchman

Since you're building in a constricted area and floor space is a premium, I'd go with square columns flush to the walls.
    As for subwoofer placement, look at the latest issue of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater (the one with the Rotel processor on the front cover). They have an article on optimal placement for the smoothest playback. You have to consider room peaks and nulls. Put them in the wrong place and you'll either get to boomy and bloated a response, or anemic bass. They also talk about optimal seat placement depending on room dimensions. I believe the couple previous recent issues of SGHT also dealt with this issue about speaker placement. There is also a database program that goes along with these articles at www.guidetohometheater.com that determines problem frequency mode areas and where to best place everything for the most flat frequency response throughout the room.
    Dan
    ------------------

15. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

16. Dan Hitchman

I have a home theater in my living room, but no pictures of it yet (trying to figure out a home page layout). I'd love to have a dedicated room one of these days. Can't right now since I'm in a townhouse temporarily. Ugh.
    Dan