Theater Construction

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JohnGib, Oct 10, 2003.

1. JohnGib

JohnGib Auditioning

I am considering building a home theater in my garage, which is a concrete floor sloped slightly (9" over about 22'). I am going to build a wood floor(final dimensions will be about 22x14) due to possible water problems (I seem to be plagues with them!). My question is wheather to make the floor level (the ceiling would be level with the floor at this point) or just build the floor out of 2x4's directly on the floor to maintain the slope to give it more of a theather feel. I've also read that parallel surfaces are not great for acoustics and the later would address that also.

Also, what type of carpet is best acoustically? Shag, Berber, etc. Should I be overly concerned about the acoustics of the room? I am on kind of a tight budget ($3k for the room, $3-4k for audio...very little left for the video...I can upgrade that later if necessary). I'd rather not have to get into soundboard and such if I won't see a significant improvement (although I plan to insulate the walls and floor. I wan't to do this right, but I don't hear much difference between CD's and mp3's(128k) so I don't want to overdo it. Sorry about the ramblings...

thanks,
    John

2. JohnGib

JohnGib Auditioning

One more question to add to my list...I've seen people build alcoves in their front walls to hold their fronts and center channel. It looks great. I was wondering if there was any disadvantage to this with relation to the sound, positioning, etc. I've read that speakers should be away from walls a bit. probably not a huge deal, but I'd like to hear some opinions.
    Thanks.
    John

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Hey John,

I built my HT in the garage. It's just about complete. It utilizes half of the garage as I wanted my wife to be able to park her van inside. The outside dimensions of the HT are roughly 16'x10'.

It's all constructed with 2x4's less the ceiling joists which are 2x6's. The inside is layered with a 1/2" sheet of drywall and that is overlaid with a 5/8" sheet. Double drywall works great for sound containment and for acoustics, especially with bass the walls resonate allot less with double drywall. The outside is layered with 1/2" drywall and 5/8" OSB. The walls are stuffed with R-13 insulation.

My garage floor is sloped as well. I built the theater to follow that slope. The ceiling is level but it has a drop about half way through the room about 12" to allow for the roll-up garage door. Thus, my ceiling height varies from 8' down to 7'. I would avoid the wood floor that could end up being an acoustic nightmare. I used a standard 1/2" pile carpet with 8lb. padding. The walls are also covered with a black felt to help with sound reflections / control and absorption.

For cooling, I installed a small window style AC unit. I recently installed an exhaust fan into the room to help with air flow as well. The AC unit worked well, but when I recently added the FP, the heat that generated was too much and the AC unit could not get the hot air out.

Also, don't alcove your speakers. The worst thing you can do is build a box around your speakers. Try and keep them away from walls as best you can.

I also ran two 20amp lines off my main house panel into the room, one for lighting and misc and the other for all the gear.

Click on the Driftwood link below to visit my site.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

4. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

Cool... the garage thing is going around.

I've just started planning my garage conversion as well and am looking at John Mansville Permacote Linacoustic insulation for acoustics. I haven't gotten a price yet so it may be out of my league.

My floor and ceiling is level.

Here's my layout:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple of snapshots of my garage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Sonnie:

That is one big garage.

Parker

6. Sonnie Parker

lol... this is our second home we've built and we learned at the first one the garage was too small so this time we did it right for a 2 car garage.

Lucky for me it's big enough to give up my half for HT and not effect the wife's half.

What I didn't learn building either house was to plan for an HT room.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Looks great Sonnie. One thing to consider is a good ventilation and room cooling system.

I recently added a FP and those little machines produce quite a bit of heat. So much so, my little AC unit could not cool the room. I finally installed an exhaust fan in the back of the room and an intake vent up front. I built soffets around both vents. The exhaust fan works so well, I have yet to fire up the AC unit.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Sonnie Parker

Thanks Ron... I was checking your Driftwood Theater out earlier. It looks great as well. Your setup will be similar to mine with the equipment up front, etc.

I have planned on installing 3 vents in the room with a return air vent. Our current A/C system should handle this extra 220 sq. ft. without any problems.... especially with it being insulated so well (6" studs and extra wall material).