Theater closing down

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ben hunt, Jan 8, 2003.

1. ben hunt

ben hunt Stunt Coordinator

Jun 12, 2002
    There is a movie theater I know of closing down this year. In fact the building is getting demolished and a store is going up there.

Anyone have any ideas or experience in acquiring equipment/seating/paraphanelia in an instance like this?

Is it worth it the bother? It's an older theater and wasn't incredibly great but it was adequate.
  2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Jul 31, 1997
    Cees Alons

I just bought myself 9 genuine theatre-chairs ($60 each) from some guys who make contracts with cinemas that are closing (or redecorating) for removal of the stuff. They look (and sit) absolutely fabulous - after some genuine cleaning - and it's the start of my new Home Theatre! (I will start a website about my project soon.)

So, I think you should try and see if there is something to your liking. If you take out some stuff/chairs yourself, I guess your "price" may even be less (perhaps: nothing at all) and it may look fantastic in your HT, if that's what you're planning.
    Just don't make a common mistake: things that don't look so large in the original environment may be simply huge in your own room. That goes for the amount of it too. 50 (fifty) original film tins may look like a small pile there, but you probably wouldn't know where to keep it in your home (except the waste bin, in the end...). So take proper measurements and plan ahead! And check the way those chairs sit, if that's what you're taking (and inspect everything very carefully!).

If you want to do this, it might be wise to contact the management of the theatre now, because once the demolishing starts, it could be very difficult to find out who's in charge and with whom you can make a (legal) deal.
    And also, it may all be gone by then...

3. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Oct 21, 2001
    Ben, check the hardware for sale/trade area.
    Scott Kilbourne is doing this exact thing. You may want to ask him how he approached the owners.
    Link to the thread........
  4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Nov 13, 2000
    forget the chairs, buy the 35mm projector, sound head, and lamphouse/rectifier and platters. Even if you have to run in stereo to your existing equipment, it would be cool. [​IMG]