What's new

Theater chairs and making a base (1 Viewer)

Anthony_Fros

Agent
I recently "acquired" a group of 4 theater chairs. I have a few questions though, as they were not together when I got them.

Do I need to get specific standards to put the chairs together (when I got them, I grabbed 2 "A" seat bottoms and 2 "B" seat bottoms, plus a bunch of standards, and a left and right end standard)?

Second question, if I were to make a riser base for them, does anyone have a schematic or dimensions as to what they used to make one?

Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Well, this is what my installer did.

http://myhometheater.tripod.com/platform3.jpg
You will need to cut and paste this link in your browser.

He put some wood underneath the seat bases in the platform to keep the seats steady.

My seats were made to go together but three I separated and had him install them standalone on the floor.

I'm no expert so I'm not sure how much help I can be but my seats are similar to yours.

Anthony_Fros

Agent
Well, I was planning on just using a piece of plywood to bolt the chairs to because I don't need the riser just yet. That's the next logical step, if I ever do get another set. Another set would mean I would have to move the TV and set the room up longways instead of short. I'm more concerned with whether or not I need to go back and look for other standards to bolt the seats to.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
Hmm.
Well my first and seconds rows are mounted on concrete.
Of course I have carpet installed.

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Anthony, I have about 8 marquees. I had to paint and reupholster mine. They were in horrible shape. I'm not sure what you meant about A and B bottoms. Mine wheren't lettered in any way and the bottoms were all interchangeable. I know because I took them all apart to paint them and put them all together again in the order that they dried. Is it possible your talking about the little gold plate on the seat front that is used to designate seat assignment?

The only problem I had, had to do with the chair backs and the brackets. If you I didn't find the exact bracket to attach to the chair back then the wholes wouldn't line up.

Gabrielle

Anthony_Fros

Agent
Gabrielle,
the chairs that I have don't have any number plates on the fronts. Underneath, on the bottom of the seat, there's either an A or a B, and it's pressed right into the bottom. I'll have to take a picture of one of the seats that I've put together for reference.

The only headache besides not having plywood to bolt them to at the moment is squaring them up. These have two bolts on the back side for the back of the seat, and then two on the bottom of the standards for the seat to swivel on. Once you get everything somewhat in place, tightening the bolts up makes things move around. A lot. Definitely a two man project, if for support only.

BTW, what did you use to clean the metal parts? These are clean, but I wouldn't mind cleaner. That, and really getting rid of some of that soda/food hint that's there.

thanks for the info, too!

GabrielleG

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony, I used a Brillo pad, a variety of Lysol cleaners that kill bacteria and some really really thick Gloves :-D. If you use anything like that test it first because with mine it didn't matter if it faded the paint because i repainted them all anyway. I also wouldn't advise the Brillo pad. It made sanding a bit easier for me though.

Gabrielle

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks