The Z9 and the new Star Wars DVDs - EX? PLIIx? Curious!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kaj, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Kaj

Kaj Stunt Coordinator

I just got the newly released Star Wars DVD’s.

So I eagerly put one into the DVD player and started watching, to see if it sounds, and looks as good as everyone says it does.

It does, sound and picture is amazing, for such an old movie

But what I wanted to ask was concerning the way the Z9 reads the ‘new remastered’ Dolby Digital EX soundtrack.
    I left the Z9 on AUTO (So it automatically selects ES, of EX if available).
    I played the movie.

I expected it to either detect the EX flag, and process accordingly: Enhanced DD EX DSP, THX EX, etc,
    or I thought it would just recognise it as a normal Dolby Digital track, and I would then have to manually make it decode EX style, like the Star Wars Episodes I & II DVD’s.

But no, I got something which was very interesting! The Z9 got the signal, and automatically switched, not to EX, but to the Pro-Logic IIx Movie decoder!

I’m not complaining or anything, in fact I don’t mind one bit, but I was curious why the Z9 did this, I thought the sound track was EX, where did the Z9 figure out PLIIx from.
    And furthermore, I did not think any movies were flagged with PLIIx at all, I thought it was a process you had to manually implement if you would like 7.1 matrix and your speakers were set up accordingly.

Odd,

Please let me know what you think, has Lucas done something intentional and clever on the DVD or is it something with the Z9?

KJ

2. Kaj

Kaj Stunt Coordinator

just did a bit more playing around;

This only happens on Disc's 3 and 4, episode V and VI. It does not happen with the first one, episode IV, A New Hope! Strange . . . one is different.
    On that one, IV, it does as i thought it may, the Z9 only picks up a normal DD siganl. I have to 'force' it to decode in EX.

But the other two DVDs all automatically go into 'PLIIx Movie' decoding (NOT EX). The other odd thing about this again, i just noticed, *ALL* the speaker symobls on the Z9 display are a-light! saying there are 6 discrete channels of audio it seems, no matrix, but i thought that is the whole poitn of PLIIx?

The only other times i've seen all speaker icons alight is with DTS ES discrete, like on the LOTR SE DVD's. No matter what decoder, matrix decoder i force, i do not get all 6 speaker icons displaying. As those symbols are only meant to be showing the What the Z9 is getting in and decoding, enchancing, and that is as i always thought it should be? And these DVD's are certainly not DD 6.1.
    Theres got to be a simple explaination. [​IMG] Just curious that's all

Note: I understand that EX is not a 6.1 format, that it is just specifically encoded so that the Rear Back speaker can be created/matrixed from the Rear Left and Right speakers info.
    That's why i find this interesting, especially as the Z9 says that two DVDs are designed, flagged specifically for Pro-Logic IIx Movie decoding from the signal it is getting.

Has anyone else found this with the Z9?

Cheers
    KJ

3. Tom.C

Tom.C Auditioning

Interesting observation. I see similar behavior on my 1400, except I also get the results for episode 4. As you say, it goes into PLIIx Movie when Auto is on. It does its standard setup for the THX intro (breaking glass, big letters) but right after that, the surround back light comes on and it switches into PLIIx Movie.

The 1400 manual supplement on PLIIx indicates that there is an Auto mode that switches to PLIIx Movie for 7.1 signals automatically - but I have not seen it do that before. I usually force PLIIx Movie on for DVDs so would not normally see if this happens or not. But it is definitely not the norm.

4. Tom.C

Tom.C Auditioning

Actually, I think this is the norm for EX flagged signals when you have a 7.1 setup. I see the same thing on Harry Potter 2, which is also EX. Since most DVDs are not EX flagged, I just have not seen this before. Not sure why you don't see it on episode 4??