What's new

The Young Pope (HBO - Jude Law) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This show totally fucks.

Everything from the exquisite visuals to Jude Law's performance to the crazy shit that totally makes this show deserving of being meme'd to death (CHERRY COKE ZERO) hit me right in my sweet spot. I can't wait to watch the rest.

This was amazing. I cackled through the entire premiere. It's basically taking the super-boring House of Cards, "This powerful dude is AMORAL?!"-premise and twisting it into a crazy, self-aware soap comedy in the key of Bryan Fuller's Hannibal. And it helps that Lenny is a genuine badass.

And MAN, that last scene.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This show totally fucks.

Everything from the exquisite visuals to Jude Law's performance to the crazy shit that totally makes this show deserving of being meme'd to death (CHERRY COKE ZERO) hit me right in my sweet spot. I can't wait to watch the rest.

This was amazing. I cackled through the entire premiere. It's basically taking the super-boring House of Cards, "This powerful dude is AMORAL?!"-premise and twisting it into a crazy, self-aware soap comedy in the key of Bryan Fuller's Hannibal. And it helps that Lenny is a genuine badass.

And MAN, that last scene.
Totally missed it, now on the DVR schedule. Since HBO will repeat it 58 times I'll catch up. The endless "teasers" made it look pretty decent, but doesn't look good based on your review.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Oh, you definitely should check this out ASAP. This was the just right kind of deliriously-insane.

Let's not forget about the running subplot about
Cardinal Voiello WANTING TO FUCK AN ANCIENT STATUE THAT REPRESENTS FERTILITY.

This is exactly my brand of sacrilicious (Homer Simpson "delicious"/"sacrilegious") trash. Also, possibly the best of the memes surrounding this is Drunk Don Draper™ pitching it:

739c573acde766afa246e2d0d7c00ddc5e95705246e58d91402eb1bf498c025a.png

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I saw it last night and was meh. Will give it a few more episodes. Lots of long boring silences...

We're gonna have to tread VERY carefully on P&R here. Be respectful, don't push boundaries please.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The tone of this show is arch and poised and dryly perverse. It isn’t a flow-along thing as much as series of carefully stylized bite-sized vignettes. The Young Pope is beautifully designed and quite the Sorrentino-immersion, but it's a dish served cold. I love how serene the pacing in the pilot was. Just that one shot holding on the face of the Vatican chef as Pius lectured her on the difference between "friendliness" and "formality" was pure gold.

Methodical and colder is great, as long as it stays mesmerizing.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first episode and just don't know what to think. Am I missing something?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
All episodes now on the DVR (I like to binge watch short series like this). PBS has "City in the Sky", one episode left to get all three. Also going to let "Colony" build up a bit.

Is "The Young Pope" worth it? Or just zap it and pretend it didn't happen? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks