What's new

The Young Ones - not completely uncut (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I vividly recall a thread a while back here on HTF where there were concerns that episodes of The Young Ones would be cut on the DVD.
I've used the search function, but just can't find the thread in question. So I'm starting a new one.
Last night my review of this set was posted on TVShowsOnDVD.com and in it I explain in detail the edit I can find for sure. As I indicate in the review, there seem to be other cuts, but I cannot nail them down with facts...I have nothing to compare these versions to.
I'm usually wary of stepping on Ron's turf here by pointing HTFers to my review elsewhere, but in this case I want everyone to know that, while I still completely recommend the set :emoji_thumbsup: , at least one cut DOES exist. Ron, I haven't seen you post a review of the same item, so I hope this is okay.
If you want to read all the details, please just click on the TVShowsOnDVD icon in my signature, and you will see the review listed midway down the home page. If you decide you want the set, there will be links there to order it online, or you can check my Weekly Roundup thread to find the best in-store bargains.
I hope you're satisfied, Thatcher!

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
I want this set very bad, but I'm having a hard time justifying it. 12 episodes for around $45, when I can buy a complete season of twice as many 'Friends' episodes, or, twice as many HOUR LONG, '24' episodes for the same price.
Was UP wit dat???

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Chris, I assume part of it is that Warner and FOX expect to sell far more copies of the Friends and 24 sets, respectively, than Young Ones will sell.

FredCampbell

Agent
Sorry to hear the music segment has been cut out of CASH, but otherwise the set sounds just the ticket. As for the price, I paid more for fewer episodes of FAWLTY TOWERS. Some dvd expenditures defy that sort of scrutiny.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I remember something bizarre about this show... a few times, they cut away for a frame or two to random shots. I remember one was a from jumping and one was a weird old guy. I think there were a few more. Does anyone else remember this?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I remember something bizarre about this show... a few times, they cut away for a frame or two to random shots. I remember one was a from jumping and one was a weird old guy. I think there were a few more. Does anyone else remember this?
Heh, yeah...I thought about mentioning in the review the nice opportunity with this set to view with perfect clarity the "subliminal suggestion" scenes, as I've always liked to think of them as.

I noticed them again on this set after I was into Series 2, so I am not sure if it was only in that season or if I just missed them in the first series.

I saw one that was the ending sequence of a UK-release of a western film (I'm thinking one of the Man With No Name films, but someone please confirm or correct me), one of a skier, and one of a water faucet. There were others, but those come to mind right now.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
I'd suggest focusing on the quality of the shows, rather than looking at the dollar cost per episode. :)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
That scene with the guy with the elephant head dancing to a Supremes song used to give me nightmares.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
That's a shame about the musical number, but not unexpected. I'm interested to find out what else has been edited out though. I won't be purchasing them if it's too much.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I can assure you that it is not too much. Well worth the purchase.
Jack:
STOP! In the name of love... :laugh:

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
David -
I'm not sure which episode is the scene cut where Neil is in the bathtup with a guitar strumming SOUND OF SILENCE? I remember this being cut on the VHS.

Matt

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
David, it's not an Eastwood western, I'm pretty sure.
I don't recognize it.
I'm still waiting to get the 4th disc with all 2 hours of the "white dot" program. ;) I always missed the end and never got to see how it came out. :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure which episode is the scene cut where Neil is in the bathtup with a guitar strumming SOUND OF SILENCE? I remember this being cut on the VHS.
That's on the episode after "Cash", the one called "Nasty".

The scene where he's in the tub full of muddy water, and Rick comes in and turns off the bathroom light to conserve electricity, right?

That was one of the places I suspected a cut at. There was a very bad jump-edit there from Neil turning to his guitar and then suddenly Rick is pounding on his own bedrom door, suspecting that Vyvyan is in there plotting against him.

So it sounds like more music rights issues. Yuck.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess it's not quite time to retire the old videotapes yet. But I'll be picking this set up to relive the boys in digital goodness anyway. "Bambi" is one of the funniest half-hours of television, at least to anyone who ever played trivia quiz games in school. The sequence with Vyvyan on the train is classic! :laugh:

Pete M

Stunt Coordinator
David - In your review you reference the screen shots section. I must be stoopid ;) as I don't see this section. Could you please point out how to get there? Thanks.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
How do the edits compare to the last FOX videotapes that were released?? CASH always had the music number cut for the tapes. Are there further cuts to the DVD that were on the tapes?

--Ian

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David - In your review you reference the screen shots section. I must be stoopid ;) as I don't see this section. Could you please point out how to get there? Thanks.
Good catch, Pete: you're the first to remark on it. Gord (Lacey, owner of the site and updater of all site materials to the host) upgraded his operating system recently, and as a result his graphics processing program isn't working right anymore. He has to get it upgraded in order to process my screen captures into the format that the site uses. Apparently the manual work required is somewhat, uh, astronomical. :)
So he can't upload the shots until this is fixed. I of course didn't know any of this when I wrote the review (nor would I have necessarily changed the review, since this is a short-term situation).
Please bear with us while we get Gord fixed up. He now knows better than to EVER EVER upgrade his OS! :laugh:

JerryB

Grip
I don't mean to get off topic, but has anyone had their Young Ones packaging damaged by the security sticker along the top? I'm usually pretty good taking these things off, but the damn thing took a large patch of the green front off and the back as well. All I'm really concerned about are the discs inside, but I've never had this happen before. A bit frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks