The Young Ones - not completely uncut

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Sep 16, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I vividly recall a thread a while back here on HTF where there were concerns that episodes of The Young Ones would be cut on the DVD.
    I've used the search function, but just can't find the thread in question. So I'm starting a new one.
    Last night my review of this set was posted on TVShowsOnDVD.com, and in it I explain in detail the edit I can find for sure. As I indicate in the review, there seem to be other cuts, but I cannot nail them down with facts...I have nothing to compare these versions to.
    I'm usually wary of stepping on Ron's turf here by pointing HTFers to my review elsewhere, but in this case I want everyone to know that, while I still completely recommend the set [​IMG] , at least one cut DOES exist. Ron, I haven't seen you post a review of the same item, so I hope this is okay.
    If you want to read all the details, please just click on the TVShowsOnDVD icon in my signature, and you will see the review listed midway down the home page. If you decide you want the set, there will be links there to order it online, or you can check my Weekly Roundup thread to find the best in-store bargains.
    I hope you're satisfied, Thatcher!

2. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

I want this set very bad, but I'm having a hard time justifying it. 12 episodes for around $45, when I can buy a complete season of twice as many 'Friends' episodes, or, twice as many HOUR LONG, '24' episodes for the same price.
    Was UP wit dat???

3. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Chris, I assume part of it is that Warner and FOX expect to sell far more copies of the Friends and 24 sets, respectively, than Young Ones will sell.

4. FredCampbell

FredCampbell Agent

Sorry to hear the music segment has been cut out of CASH, but otherwise the set sounds just the ticket. As for the price, I paid more for fewer episodes of FAWLTY TOWERS. Some dvd expenditures defy that sort of scrutiny.

5. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

I remember something bizarre about this show... a few times, they cut away for a frame or two to random shots. I remember one was a from jumping and one was a weird old guy. I think there were a few more. Does anyone else remember this?

6. David Lambert

7. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

I'd suggest focusing on the quality of the shows, rather than looking at the dollar cost per episode. [​IMG]

8. David Lambert

Piers nails it. This is excellent stuff, worth having for sure!

9. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

That scene with the guy with the elephant head dancing to a Supremes song used to give me nightmares.

10. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

That's a shame about the musical number, but not unexpected. I'm interested to find out what else has been edited out though. I won't be purchasing them if it's too much.

11. David Lambert

Brian, I can assure you that it is not too much. Well worth the purchase.
    Jack:
    STOP! In the name of love... [​IMG]

12. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

David -
    I'm not sure which episode is the scene cut where Neil is in the bathtup with a guitar strumming SOUND OF SILENCE? I remember this being cut on the VHS.

Matt

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

David, it's not an Eastwood western, I'm pretty sure.
    I don't recognize it.
    I'm still waiting to get the 4th disc with all 2 hours of the "white dot" program. [​IMG] I always missed the end and never got to see how it came out. [​IMG]

14. David Lambert

15. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

I should have remembered it being NASTY. That is my favorite episode.
    Thanks!
    Matt

16. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Well, I guess it's not quite time to retire the old videotapes yet. But I'll be picking this set up to relive the boys in digital goodness anyway. "Bambi" is one of the funniest half-hours of television, at least to anyone who ever played trivia quiz games in school. The sequence with Vyvyan on the train is classic! [​IMG]

17. Pete M

Pete M Stunt Coordinator

David - In your review you reference the screen shots section. I must be stoopid [​IMG] as I don't see this section. Could you please point out how to get there? Thanks.

18. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

How do the edits compare to the last FOX videotapes that were released?? CASH always had the music number cut for the tapes. Are there further cuts to the DVD that were on the tapes?

--Ian

19. David Lambert

20. JerryB

JerryB Extra

I don't mean to get off topic, but has anyone had their Young Ones packaging damaged by the security sticker along the top? I'm usually pretty good taking these things off, but the damn thing took a large patch of the green front off and the back as well. All I'm really concerned about are the discs inside, but I've never had this happen before. A bit frustrating.