1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

THE YOUNG LAWYERS: 1970-71 CBS MOD Strikes Again

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bob Gu, Nov 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Neil Brock mentioned this as unannounced in the 2017 Prediction thread. It is actually up for preorder at Amazon, already, with no release date.

THE YOUNG LAWYERS starred Zalman King, Judy Pace, and Lee J. Cobb. It had a 90 minute pilot that was shown, in Oct. 1969, almost a year before the series started in the 1970-71 season. It had 24 episodes. pitted against Gunsmoke, Red Skelton and Laugh In.

The show was part of the relevant youth oriented craze that also included that same season, such shows as: The Young Rebels, Storefront Lawyers, Matt Lincoln, and The Interns.

Tina_H_V and Guy Foulard like this.
  2. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Hope this release makes someone happy. Maybe it's someone's Holy Grail.

James

3. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    I'm all over this! :) Just ordered it (dunno when it'll be released). Never seen it, aside from a few clips, but it's right up my alley.
    https://amzn.com/B01LTHKOCQ
    upload_2016-11-3_15-48-27.

Flashgear likes this.
  4. phenri

phenri Second Unit

Paul
    I agree. This is the time period for TV shows that I really like. I've already preordered it and will definitely be a blind buy for me.

Guy Foulard likes this.
  5. mmyers

mmyers Agent

mike myers
    Does anyone on the board know if CBS owns Hotel de Paree?

6. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Unlike those other series you mentioned above, and you can include The New People in that list as well, this was actually a very well written show. The producer was Matthew Rapf, who was responsible for some excellent series, such as Ben Casey, Slattery's People and Doctors Hospital. As "relevant" shows go, this was the best of the bunch.

7. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    The DECADES channel has THE YOUNG LAWYERS pilot scheduled for early Saturday morning Dec. 3, 2016, at 5:30AM to 7:30AM, EST.

The pilot featured Jason Evers as the older mentor/lawyer, but he was replaced in the series by Lee J. Cobb.

8. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

I hope CBS MOD puts others out in 2017. These were some pleasant surprises. Just out of curiosity is the Young Lawyers pilot included in the DVD set? I went to youtube to check on the theme song to the Young Lawyers and I enjoyed it. It's far better than what's coming out today.

James

Tina_H_V and Flashgear like this.
  9. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

I believe it is.

10. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I've decided that I'll definitely buy the new release of The Young Lawyers...for the Great Lee J. Cobb and the apparently extensive Boston locales (Love Boston)...and for Neil Brock's acclaim for it's writing...this is a show that escaped my attention in 1970-71...I was 14 and kind of on "Relevance" overload at the time, and not seeking out any further shows in that wave...forgive me, fans of Medical Center, but that dreary and improbable show put me in Relevance overdose for a good long while...like James, I've viewed what's available on Youtube for The Young Lawyers and like what I've seen...all be it, in faded, cut and beat up form...Lalo Schifrin's music is also a big plus...

Tina_H_V, Bob Gu and Guy Foulard like this.
  11. Message #11 of 26 Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Screenwriter

Benjamin
    Again, I am not so sure if the original Paramount Television logos will stay on this set, given CBS's habit of replacing them on past DVDs of their other classic shows.

For the pilot, the original closing logo was the yellow-screen Split Rectangle logo with the Closet Killer theme:

(yes, like on S4 of Mission: Impossible and S3 of Mannix)

The regular episodes from 1970-71 had the same three variations (two with 1970 copyright stamp, and one without) of the red-screen Split Box logos as on season 2 of both The Brady Bunch and Love, American Style, and season 1 of The Odd Couple (1970 TV series).

~Ben

Bob Gu likes this.
  12. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Reminder: The Young Lawyers pilot is scheduled for Saturday morning Dec 3rd 5:30AM to 7:30AM EST. (It was also on this morning. I guess that's where Benjamin's clip came from.)

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  13. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    Yes, I did take that from my local Decades airing!

~Ben

14. Message #14 of 26 Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    It really should be, because the preliminary package art I last saw said 24 episodes, and that's referring to just the regular 1970-71 season run. It would have to say 25 episodes, including the pilot.

~Ben

15. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    Release date is now 12/14/16--just got a notice from Amazon about my pre-order.

Flashgear likes this.
  16. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    Got my copy on time yesterday--nice to have all of this series (including the 74-minute pilot). Unfortunately, the video is a bit rough--kind of jaggy-ish, and some movement looks a bit jerky. It fares better in close-ups. Fortunately, this is a dialogue-heavy series. Since I like old UK videotaped series, I'm accustomed to subpar images, so i can deal with it. I may fiddle with my blu-ray player's output to see if that helps.

On the other end of the spectrum, I also received the complete Twilight Zone on blu-ray, with all the bells and whistles. Looks great, and SUCH A BARGAIN at $71.

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  17. Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard Second Unit

Jason
    You may want to lower your expectations for extensive Boston location shooting! It's mostly interstitial shots of Zalman King's VW microbus tooling around Harvard Square.

Watched episode 1, and it had an opening scene on a very California-ish mountain highway (with a tunnel going through a hill). I wasn't convinced by the road sign pointing to "CAMBRIDGE - ROXBURY - SOUTH BOSTON", especially since that would place the scene somewhere around Kenmore Square...

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  18. Message #18 of 26 Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Jason, thanks for posting your initial impressions of The Young Lawyers release...mine is on the way...of course, I'm not happy to hear that the source elements yield transfers somewhat less than desirable video quality...and as far as Boston locales were concerned, I was mostly going on what I saw with the pilot telefilm...of which they made extensive use of snow bound Boston to great effect as far as atmosphere...I guess that the usual LA and SoCal shooting and studio production followed for the series itself...not just for budget and standard operating procedure, but perhaps to have the great Lee J. Cobb sign on for run...mind you, a show like Banacek could establish a good Beantown vibe by effective use of second unit Boston filming, some of which was directed by George Peppard himself...every episode opening titles beginning with Peppard "rowing" on the Charles near Longfellow Bridge...

For me, there has never been better use made of Boston (Southie) and area locales than for the shooting of those great Route 66 episodes of the 1961 - 62 season..."Birdcage on my foot" (Dorchester Heights, Telegraph Hill) , "To walk with the serpent" (Bunker Hill, Charlestown, USS Constitution, Beacon Hill) and "Once to every man" (Gloucester)...that show just amazes me in so many ways...that they would tackle such formidable logistics cross country for a weekly TV show with a travelling production company of 60+ people and yielding about 30+ episodes a year for weekly viewing by the American TV audience of the early 1960s...hasn't been done since...partly, I believe, because network television doesn't care to examine the lives of average working people in the void of the great unknown that lies between New York City and LA...some might refer to it as the "Flyover States"...pity...

ChrisALM and Darby67 like this.
  19. Wvtvguy

Wvtvguy Second Unit

Marc
    I may have to check this out. This is a period I have a soft spot for even though I don't actually remember it. There was enough of the "relevance" vibe around when I started watching tv in the mid 70's that I enjoy the earlier shows.

Flashgear and Guy Foulard like this.
  20. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    For those of you that own this DVD set, have any of you spot-checked each episode to be sure whether or not the original Paramount Television logos remained?

I already know the 1969 pilot ended with this logo:

But as to the regular 24 episodes, about 10 of them had this logo (with the 1970 Paramount copyright below the Gulf+Western byline):

~Ben

bmasters9 likes this.