What's new

3D Blu-ray Review The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Thankfully here in Australia we're all Region B so this is at least one title I won't have to play on my Region A machine (and I got "Under the Sea" from the recommendations on HTF and it is a wonderous sight.

Shall watch it on my Sony 3D headset and let the whole thing wash over me -- looks like a great, quirky movie.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
OK, Ron, on your recommendation I have ordered this. I hope it looks decent on my Panny 55".

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Just the other night I had some friends over for pizza and a movie. I showed them T.S. Spivet in 3D. Everyone enjoyed it.

This was only the second time I had watched it, and I can truly say that it holds up extremely well to repeated viewings.

It really is deserving of being in the #1 spot on the HTF top 30 3D list.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
FYI: Found a T.S. Spivet two disc Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray set that will play on Region A only players. (The included DVD (Gratis DVD sticker was on cellophane wrapper) is not region 1 compatible)

From the Netherlands: The Young And Prodgious T.S. Spivet Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray, the set I just received with EAN# 5412370828897 has been verified to play as REGION A for both the Blu-ray 3D & the 2D BD without using an adapter.

The 3D menu has an initial choice: "Francais or Nederlands"

Choosing Francais, the movie defaults to French audio and French subtitles.

Choosing Nederlands, the movie defaults to English audio and Dutch subtitles.

Disc alternatives:

Subtitle choice selections: OFF, Dutch, French 1 or French 2.

Language choice selections : English DTS HD MA 5.1 or French DTS HD MA 5.1.

This Blu-ray 3D only has two trailers and one 3D MVC movie encode stream for the highest 3D bit-rate on one disc.

Edit update: (Note* It also has the same uncensored English audio as the French release.)

hstieglitz

Auditioning
Real Name
Howard
Thank you so much for the update. I could not find this on Amazon.NL Do you have a link to the site you purchased this from which will ship to the US?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Screen shot 2015-03-13 at 8.52.30 PM_zpsfobxikxw.png
IMG_0002_zpsmhkpah1k.jpg

Disc ID informaton encoded on the Netherland's discs:

T.S. Spivet 3D Blu-ray 3D Disc ID:9E2EBA429DA0C28A [SPIVET BD3D] Dual Layered. (Region A,B Tested)

T.S. Spivet 2D Blu-ray Disc ID:93AE4F8C0EBA6A27 [SPIVET 2D] Dual Layered. (Region A,B Tested)

The free included DVD: Disc ID:4E6BB2300E7B5D8A [T.S. SPIVET DVD FILM] Dual Layered Netherlands (Holland) DVD Region 2 code (PAL B/G)

hstieglitz said:
Thank you so much for the update. I could not find this on Amazon.NL Do you have a link to the site you purchased this from which will ship to the US?
Please note: The place I order Netherlands "T.S. Spivit" is very cautious after receiving many orders to import "The Hole 3D" single layered 25gb, which I discovered and announced could also play in Region A.

After I made the order they sent the following email:
Once again thank you for your order (see below) and visit to our website.
Because DVD’s and Blu-Ray’s have region codes to protect local markets against too much import, we’ve immediately checked this for the ordered item.

Unfortunately it was not mentioned on our website, so we immediately contacted our wholesaler.

According to them this blu-ray disc can only be used in region B and that includes the following areas: B:Europe, Greenland, French overseas areas, Middle East, Africa, Australia and New Zealand;

Can you let us know if you have a region free blu-ray-player, for we want to prevent sending you an item that will never play!?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Kind regards,

CD-Artline / CDenDVD.nl

Marcel Verdurmen

Partner / Webmaster

Email: [email protected] / [email protected]
Address: Traaij 1-c , 3971 GB, Driebergen, The Netherlands

The process of back and forth correspondence emails and the order coming from their wholesaler this time around took from February 5, to receiving it in the U.S. on March 13.

*Here is the requested CDenDVD.nl Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet link where the barcode matches the set I tested for both A,B regions with available international shipment. (My Google Chrome browser has a feature that automatically helps translate the Dutch into English.)

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Paul Hillenbrand said:
*Here is the requested CDenDVD.nl Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet link where the barcode matches the set I tested for both A,B regions with available international shipment. (My Google Chrome browser has a feature that automatically helps translate the Dutch into English.)

Many thanks for providing that direct link. I was able to order the Blu-ray set using PayPal, and I look forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. When I watch HOUSE OF WAX, DIAL M FOR MURDER, and KISS ME KATE I cry to think of what could be possible with 3D titles today and what lackluster stereo images we receive instead. I will be tickled to add another title to my collection that demonstrates what 3D is supposed to do.

You would think that filmmakers would have an inherent understanding of the process considering the way specialty stereo films presented at Disneyland, Universal, and other such venues exploit the process to its greatest visual potential. I would rather have home versions of IT'S TOUGH TO BE A BUG, HONEY I BLEW UP THE AUDIENCE, or TERMINATOR 3D than practically any of the major studio 3D films that have been released in the past 5 years.

hstieglitz

Auditioning
Real Name
Howard
Thank you Paul. I just ordered it through the link you sent. I am really looking forward to watching it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Now that I have reset my t.v. for 24 fps/48 hz, I am seeing this movie as it was meant to be seen - very little ghosting now. The first half is as good as a movie (regardless of dimensions) gets. The second half, while still excellent, is a bit less enchanting. But Jeunet uses 3-D beautifully, and I love the film (if only we could finally get CITY OF LOST CHILDREN). Thanks, Ron, for recommending this.

hstieglitz

Auditioning
Real Name
Howard
I just watched the film on my oppo bdp-103 player. It played flawlessly and was definitely worth purchasing. Thanks to Paul Hillenbrand for all the updates

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Some help please. I receive SPIVET from Amazon France, and have not been able to play the 3D disc on my region free SONY S6200. (220 electronics) I receive an error message, I am able to play the 2D version of the discs and watched it last night....it was delightful. But now even more I would like to see the 3D version. Anyone have any idea why my machine with not play the 3D disc?

I did use the link for the disc from the Netherlands, but even using google "translate" I was not able to get very far in the ordering process.

Help would really be appreciated.....would love to see this 3D movie.

Thank you.

bob

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bob kaplan said:
Some help please. I receive SPIVET from Amazon France, and have not been able to play the 3D disc on my region free SONY S6200. (220 electronics) I receive an error message, I am able to play the 2D version of the discs and watched it last night....it was delightful. But now even more I would like to see the 3D version. Anyone have any idea why my machine with not play the 3D disc?

I did use the link for the disc from the Netherlands, but even using google "translate" I was not able to get very far in the ordering process.

Help would really be appreciated.....would love to see this 3D movie.

Thank you.

bob

You might need a firmware upgrade, occasionally new copyright protection keys are released and put on the discs and this can sometimes require a firmware upgrade for your player, if you have already done that then maybe its just a faulty disc.

If its a region error message then try manually changing the region if thats possible, if not try unplugging your player for five minutes then powering back up and hitting play, make sure your projector or television is on before the player, it can affect 3D playback sometimes but this sounds more like a region playback issue, it is possible those discs you tried on the other thread which are region B might be region free, maybe the modification chip in the player has failed or as already said needs to be manually changed to region B.

I understand with one of the mod chips for this player you put the unit into standby and hit the green button on the remote for region B, i think if it is not working then the mod chip is faulty as it cannot be the disc.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Coming to a theater near me July 31. Hopefully in 3D, the theater it is coming to is hit on miss on showing films in 3D.

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Reed Grele said:
I have yet to see a post converted 3D film that looks as good as one shot with a real 3D camera setup.

But there have been natively shot 3D films that didn't look as good as a conversion. The best examples Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and The Amazing Spiderman.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I forgot to add to the above post that i have had a region error message in the past with my modified Oppo, i had tried the disc and it was set to the wrong region, it was a region B disc and i had the player set to read region A, it remembered failing the region check and kept refusing to play even after i had switched back to region B, it was the persistent memory, try clearing your persistent memory or whatever it is called on the Sony, it's most certainly a player issue and not the disc although it might be a mod chip issue too.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Thanks for the suggestions Foxy....I will certainly give your suggestions a try! Other discs were definitlely region B....Disney's Ratatouille.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks