What's new

The year is almost a third over and what has Warner given us? (1 Viewer)

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Are only the Bond films excluded from the pre-1986 MGM titles owned by Warner?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
bruceames said:
Are only the Bond films excluded from the pre-1986 MGM titles owned by Warner?
The Bond films weren't MGM, they were United Artists. When Ted Turner sold the United Artists film catalogue, he should have kept the MGM name & sold the United Artists name to go with the catalogue (or something like that!).

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Billy Batson said:
The Bond films weren't MGM, they were United Artists. When Ted Turner sold the United Artists film catalogue, he should have kept the MGM name & sold the United Artists name to go with the catalogue (or something like that!).
I can't believe I didn't know that already. Thanks.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
If Village of the Damned (1960) does make it to Blu ray, will they remember that at critical times in the movie, the children's eyes actually gave out a GOLDEN glow? This was totally missing from the DVD. Or did that effect only happen in my feverish head? I was so pleased that 'The Midwich Cuckoos' had actually been given an intelligent adaptation!

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
What I can't understand about WB. Other studios like MGM have much smaller libraries, and they're licencing these out to TT, Olive, Kino, Arrow, MoC, etc.

WB have a massive library, and much of it they're just sitting on.

I quite understand that they want to milk the money-spinners. I understand it's a business and they need to make money.

But at this rate there are a load of films which WB have which are never going to see the light of day.

Steve W

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yorkshire said:
What I can't understand about WB. Other studios like MGM have much smaller libraries, and they're licencing these out to TT, Olive, Kino, Arrow, MoC, etc.

WB have a massive library, and much of it they're just sitting on.

I quite understand that they want to milk the money-spinners. I understand it's a business and they need to make money.

But at this rate there are a load of films which WB have which are never going to see the light of day.

Steve W
They simply don't believe in loaning out their assets. Perhaps, a change of leadership one day will change that strategy.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I say thank goodness for Warners and the archives as they release far more older titles (30s, 40s and 50s) than all the other Studios combined.
And they generally do an excellent job as well. (which can't be said for another certain Studio's Archives)

Doug.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Doug Bull said:
I say thank goodness for Warners and the archives as they release far more older titles (30s, 40s and 50s) than all the other Studios combined.
And they generally do an excellent job as well. (which can't be said for another certain Studio's Archives)

Doug.
People want BD releases of those titles not MOD DVD releases.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Robert Crawford said:
People want BD releases of those titles not MOD DVD releases.
Of course we would all love Blu-rays of those Movies, but clearly on many older titles that is just wishful thinking at it's best .

I will gladly accept MOD DVDs if only to get the rare title I'm after and Warners are the leaders in that field.

My apologies however for not realising that this thread is in the Blu-ray section. :huh:

Doug.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Doug Bull said:
Of course we would all love Blu-rays of those Movies, but clearly on many older titles that is just wishful thinking at it's best .
Doug, there are many smaller films which have been released by boutique labels which would be dwarfed by some of the films WB hasn't released.

The Big Sleep, Key Largo, you get the idea.

And there are plenty of others which would be just as popular as releases from elsewhere. Would Gun Crazy or Wait Until Dark really sell fewer copies than Violent Saturday?

If it's wishful thinking to imagine these films appearing, that's only because of Warner's track record.

I actually like Warner and their releases, I just don't understand why they're holding so much back.

Steve W

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Yorkshire said:
Doug, there are many smaller films which have been released by boutique labels which would be dwarfed by some of the films WB hasn't released.

The Big Sleep, Key Largo, you get the idea.

And there are plenty of others which would be just as popular as releases from elsewhere. Would Gun Crazy or Wait Until Dark really sell fewer copies than Violent Saturday?

If it's wishful thinking to imagine these films appearing, that's only because of Warner's track record.

I actually like Warner and their releases, I just don't understand why they're holding so much back.

Steve W
Yes I agree with that Steve.

It often bewilders me why so many Blu-rays of minor films appear from the likes of OLIVE and others compared to Warners.
My feeling is that Warners have put a high benchmark on Disc quality, possibly too high.
While that is indeed praiseworthy,(we all want the very best) you would hope that they might occasionally bend a little.
I'm sure there are plenty of titles in good enough condition to be worthy of a Blu-Ray release.

Doug.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The mind boggles at the fact that 'The Big Sleep' hasn't been released, nor 'To Have and Have Not'.
The problem can't be lack of decent film elements as the DVD releases were excellent.
I can understand that they're holding back on their earlier plans to release all versions of Show Boat on BD as there might be a limited audience for those .. although I'm champing at the bit for them.
But the Bogart titles ... and of course the long-awaited canon of Fred and Ginger's works -- seem to be incredible omissions from the Blu ray catalogue. There would have to be a larger-than-boutique audience for those!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Response on Facebook to my inquiry re: "The Big Sleep": Warner Archive CollectionJuly 10 at 3:24pm That will be coming from WHV in the future, but we have no other information to impart other than that. Thanks.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Yep... September 30.

91PhLq1ZG7L._SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member