What's new

The Yankees Will Not Be Denied! (1 Viewer)

RicP

Screenwriter
Yea Baby!!! The Dream Lives on!!!
nyy.gif

Let's Go Yan-Kees {clap clap clap clap clap}
biggrin.gif

------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's
[Edited last by RicP on October 15, 2001 at 11:03 PM]

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Man, oh man, if the LCS's and the WS are half as good as these division series have been, this post season will be a hell of a capper to a hell of a season.
I feel for Giambi; the guy went 4 for 4 tonight, driving in two runs, to no avail. Losing Jermaine Dye hurt them too. That's gotta be a tough loss considering the season they had.

RicP

Screenwriter
They Suck!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You can dislike them all you want...but the last thing they do is suck. 4 World Championships in 5 years and Three in a row looking for four is pretty much the furthest thing from suck imaginable.
Looking forward to an excellent LCS.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

RicP

Screenwriter
AHHH...
rolleyes.gif
Fair weather fans, you have got to love em.
I sure as Hell hope that you weren't talking about me. If you were I'd suggest you pay a a little more attention around here.
Robert Fowkes, Robert Crawford and I are probably the three biggest Yankees fans on this forum, and have been for more years than I care to admit to.
I'm sorry you feel the need to label people, it just becomes funny when you are 100% off target.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
You can dislike them all you want...but the last thing they do is suck. 4 World Championships in 5 years and Three in a row looking for four is pretty much the furthest thing from suck imaginable.
My dad and I took a trip up to Boston last August to take in a Yankees/Red Sox game at Fenway, and the Yanks swept the three-game series. We got a real kick out of seeing all of the Sox fans, dejectedly walking home after another loss that night, wearing their "Yankees Suck" T-shirts. We were unbiased--not Yankees fans, not Red Sox fans, just baseball fans, but we got some good laughs out of all of those shirts.
You're right, Ric: Hate 'em you may, but there ain't no way they suck.
-mwb-
------------------
Obi-Wan (to Anakin):
Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
May 22, 2002

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I let my team speak for me on the field rather than get into pointless arguments. The people who made the statements in the referenced threads must now be about as embarassed as the Oakland A's were by their level of play tonight. When the going gets tough the tough get going.
A word of advice: Don't bet a large amount of money against the team with the most championship banners hanging in their stadium. This extraordinary run will come to an end one of these years. I just don't see who will do it this year. In my opinion the true "World Series" just concluded between Oakland and NY. You can quote all the stats you want, but you can't quantify the intangibles.
And that's where the Yankees truly excel. You may love 'em or hate 'em, but you've got to at least respect what they've accomplished.
Case closed.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

MikeM

Screenwriter
The people who made the statements in the referenced threads must now be about as embarassed as the Oakland A's were by their level of play tonight.
Nahh....this is a message board. I think it's more embarassing to say "See, I told you so, my XXXXXX team is the best" when one didn't have the guts to put it out there in the first place.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Robert,
The one thing that is different about the M`s this year, other than Ichiro, is that they also went through a tough series and showed just how tough they are. Last year was a focus on one player, A-Rod, and how much he carried the team. This year, the whole team is carrying the Mariners. Gambatte, Mariners!!!

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I will avoid the use of the word "suck." I simply HATE the evil Yankees. Go Seattle!
And yeah, Ric, I didn't see you around when the Yanks were down 0-2. Care to respond to your critics?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

RicP

Screenwriter
And yeah, Ric, I didn't see you around when the Yanks were down 0-2. Care to respond to your critics
It's called vacation...maybe some of YOU guys should look into one
laugh.gif

And besides, what good would a post do in a thread where a bunch of Yankee haters were salivating at the chance that the champs would be knocked off? What good would that have done?
And anyway, I posted enough messages during last years playoffs to more than compensate for missing a few this year. :)
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
In Ric's defense (not that he needs any defending) I see absolutely no need to toot one's horn before the fact. The Yankees have been there so many times before that it is practically a given that they will be there when the games get serious. Anyone who has followed this forum for any length of time knows where Ric and I and Crawdaddy stand on the NY Yankees and to say that we didn't speak up until "after the fact" is grossly misleading and just not the case.
Do not mistake quiet confidence for fair weather fandom. Our record, like the Yankees', speaks for itself.
Yes, I expect the current streak to eventually come to a close (they always do) but as the saying goes, the Yankees don't rebuild, they reload. In the meanwhile I enjoy sitting back and watching those fans who are not used to rooting for a perennial winner take their turns on the podium, proclaiming that their particular team is the "latest, greatest." (Anyone recall the people who were proclaiming Minnesota as the ultimate team of 2001 earlier in the season?)
laugh.gif

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Speaking of change - one of the things that I truly admire about the Mariners is the fact that they got better after they got rid of Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr. and A-Rod! (How many rings do those three guys have?) To me, that's the real significance of the current Seattle run for the laurels. Yes, they are now a better team and "team" is the operative word here. Do you really think it's a coincidence that during the Yankees' current winning streak that there have been very few first team all-stars from NY??? This proves, more than anything else, that baseball is a team, not an individual sport. Yes, the Yankees have a bunch of great players (anyone who doesn't now realize how special Derek Jeter is after watching him during the just-concluded series just doesn't understand the game) but on a player by player basis NY will not always look to be the best team on paper. But the game is played on the field and not in the pages of some book.
This year's Mariner team does pose a greater threat to the Yankees because of this aspect, above all else. It's about the team, not the stars. (And it doesn't hurt them that Lou Pinella - a former Yankee - has become more Joe Torre-like.)
Like I said in another thread, let the games begin.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Steven K

Supporting Actor
My dad and I took a trip up to Boston last August to take in a Yankees/Red Sox game at Fenway, and the Yanks swept the three-game series.
I was there as well for that series... the "almost" no-hitter. Needless to say, it wasn't a fun time to be a Red Sox fan.
As much as I love the city of NYC, I hate the Yankees. Always have, even before I moved to Boston.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As much as I love the city of NYC, I hate the Yankees. Always have, even before I moved to Boston.
Steven,
I know the feeling because I feel the same way about the Red Sox! :)
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

Mark Schermerhorn

Second Unit
Robert: I don't remember anyone ever referring to the Twins as the "ultimate team of 2001." I remember a few people (myself included) saying "it looks like they are for real", which they were, until the all star break. But hey, for such a young team with a payroll that is 23% of the yankees, and the lowest in the league, a winning record for the season is absolutely amazing, IMO. And guess who is the second lowest in MLB: yep, the Athletics, at 33 million. Yankees: 109 million
rolleyes.gif

So while the yankees acheivements are very, very impressive, they couldn't have done it all these years if MLB had a salary cap. I won't give any team that has a payroll that high much respect, because they're supposed to win. Hats off to the A's for taking them to the brink, with 31% of the yankees salary. Bleh.
Whoever said it was right: the yankees don't rebuild, they reload. Because they have the money to do it. It doesn't work the same way in the NFL: you load up for a run that can last 2-3 years. You can't just buy the best players. I understand that outright "purchasing" doesn't guarantee anything. But I'll always have more respect for, say, the 87 twins than the yankees.
Just my biased opinion :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks