1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Yamaha S2300 does bass management on DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Mickunas, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've confirmed this beyond a doubt now. I've used the Chesky disc and have seen my Samson light up while playing 4.0 tracks. It also works in stereo mode.

The player has bass management controls separate controls for SACD and those appear to work fine. In stereo mode the subs are active, I can't confirm that it works for SACD beyond a shadow of a doubt, but I have no reason to think it doesn't.

Bass management also works for CD. I could've sworn I read elsewhere it doesn't, but sure enough, it does.

The only problem is like many other DVD-Audio players it suffers from the low LFE problem on DD. This makes calibrating difficult. I'll be using the Chesky disc this weekend to set all the levels in the player and I'll report on that when I'm through. I don't have a way to properly calibrate SACD though, so I'll see what I can figure out with some more experimentation.

I'll be writing up a full review later on in another thread. I just wanted to mention that bass management works because there's been so much controversy on these universal players.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Are you sure? [​IMG]

I.e., if you have a pre/pro that does "bass doubling", it still might not. (The Rotel 1066, and the Outlaw 950 *without* the 80 Hz analog crossover engaged.)

If you set everything up for DVD-A, I would hope that that's valid for SACD too. (I haven't found a good SACD test disc yet either, like Chesky for DVD-A.)

3. Keith Mickunas

I don't know much about bass doubling, but I don't believe that's a problem on Yamaha. I'm using the RX-V1 which doesn't apply bass management to the analog inputs. Is there some way that the bass doubling occurs even though there's no bass mangement?

The problem with SACD is that unlike the DVD side, there aren't numerical values for the speaker levels, its just set with a slider. So once I set the DVD levels, which may well turn out to be at 0 since the receiver's volume controls may be set right, then I have to match the SACD levels.

4. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Keith,
    I am intereted in this player. Do you know if you can set timing corrections for DVD-A and SACD?

5. Keith Mickunas

I believe its no for both. For the DVD speaker settings, the manual specifies time correction only affects DD, and there are no time settings for SACD.

I checked the manual, and noticed that the volume settings for SACD are in 0.5dB increments. So once I set the DVD-A levels, theoretically the SACD settings should be set the same.

6. Keith Mickunas

Well there is something completely whacked about the bass management. It seems that if you want to use it, you have to always use it. There are two subwoofer output jacks on the back of the player. One is for the regular LFE channel, the other is called Sub Out/Bass Mgmt. In order to get bass management to work, you have to use the second jack. But then bass management is always on. This is from the manual:

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Keith- The receiver shouldn't do bass doubling, so that's good. But:

8. Keith Mickunas

Well I've done more calibrating with the Chesky disc. I had to turn the center and surrounds down 1dB, so not much adjustment there. Using their test tone, I had to increase the sub to +6dB on the player to match. However I don't know what frequency range that is in or how much adjustment is required on the Radio Shack SPL meter. When playing The Grateful Dead's American Beauty, I found the bass to strong. So I brought down the level to 0dB and I'm happier there.

The real problem is this. On any track without a LFE channel, everything should be fine. However if it has LFE and full range to the other speakers, doubling will occur. I could compensate for this in the player's volume settings, but it would mess up the *.0 recordings since they'd lack bass. I'm not sure what to do about this. I'll have to wait and see if Yamaha has the courtesy to respond to my e-mail.

I've set the SACD levels to match the DVD-Audio level and it sounds pretty good. The built in test tones for SACD suck. For instance, to balance the left surround, it plays a tone through the mains and the left surround at the same time. How does that help? Stupid, stupid, stupid.