What's new

The Xbox Series X, Holiday 2020 (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
E3 this year was a big dud for all these companies I thought, but for Microsoft specific news, I enjoyed hearing that the new Forza Horizon would be cross-gen (Wasn't a guarantee I felt after confirmation that Forza Motorsport next year would be a Series X/S exclusive). And I'm happy to see Flight Simulator 2020 will be arriving shortly on Series X/S.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Flight Sim looks great, that is about it for me. Still waiting for Hellblade 2, and ray tracing for Minecraft.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft officially announced that they plan to offer xCloud streaming of Xbox Series X games to Xbox One/X/S as an app. So if you have a previous-gen console and a good internet connection, you officially don't even need to buy a Series X/S.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Microsoft officially announced that they plan to offer xCloud streaming of Xbox Series X games to Xbox One/X/S as an app. So if you have a previous-gen console and a good internet connection, you officially don't even need to buy a Series X/S.
I would think only if a person is satisfied with a down converted version since a series X/S game being streamed to a One X/S would have to account for hardware limitations.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Would it though? It's streaming the video and audio so the only real limitation is your connection speed. Microsoft has Azure data centers all over the world to minimize lag times and they're saying you could technically get full Series X fidelity.

I also wonder if there's some way they could even stream a lower-res version over a slower connection then use DLSS to upconvert it and players would not even notice the difference.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Huzzah!
CC24AA9F-E6D8-40B5-9776-407C9379F75F.jpeg

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Very sweet looking design. I'm pretty much a 1 machine household now, only game on my gaming monitor due to its near zero input lag, versus my 4K TVs which have good-but-not-great input lag times. Surprisingly I can tell the difference pretty easily when playing PvP in Destiny 2. One day I'll upgrade my 4K sets, they're 3 and 4 years old now so maybe in 2022 or 2023.

Did the rumored "slightly more powerful" versions which may (or may not) be upcoming give you pause before buying that second Series X?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Microsoft did a surprise last round of original Xbox and Xbox 360 backwards compatibility additions last Monday. 76 additions, I believe. Lots of fluff, but some good games scattered in there like Ridge Racer 6.

back_compat.jpg.f811298aedd28f2bf872ea0ce4d65d1b.jpg

Alas, 3 of the 5 Xbox Live Arcade additions from the 360's library that I own aren't recognized as actually being owned by me on the console and MS has yet to fix it. And looking online, looks like I'm not alone. Warlords, Time Pilot, Scramble, and some others aren't being recognized as owned by other people as well when they go to download them on their XB1 or Series X/S.

Starting to doubt it gets rectified, but at least I still have my Xbox 360 set up when the mood strikes to play some Time Pilot or Scramble.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
How?

I mean at this point consoles of current gen systems are so impossibly hard to get I amazed anyone is able to score one. At any rate, very nice, congrats!
I knew they would go on sale at the end of the broadcast and I bought two in the first batch. One for me one for my nephew

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I read that the huge drop of BC games is likely to be the last drop Microsoft does, due to the rest of the games being held up by rights/trademark issues. There's some big games that never got in there but they're mostly licensed games like Spider-man.

Quick question: how much time do you actually spend playing BC games? Sony's approach to legacy content is "nobody really plays old stuff" while Nintendo has made it central to their Switch Online plan. I'm curious if people engage with old games when they're "given away for free" versus just being enabled on the latest hardware but you need to own/buy them yourself.

Also, seriously, how the hell did you get two Xbox Series X's?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
On my Xbox One, I'd estimate that 1/3rd of my time is spent in Xbox and Xbox 360 games. More so the latter since the original Xbox library is very poorly represented in the backwards compatibility list (Although the emulator itself is top notch).

It would be a bit more than that, but I still have both legacy Xbox systems hooked up. So backwards compatible games still see some use on their native platforms by me, although I shy away from playing more demanding stuff on the BC list like Red Dead Redemption on a genuine 360 these days since even on a now lowly Xbox One S, Microsoft's emulator outperforms real 360 hardware.

I'll get hooked on a big modern game two or three times a year (Forza Horizon 4 being the most recent example), but most of the time it's more classic stuff. I did a playthrough of the unlockable versions of Prince of Persia 1 and 2 in PoP: Sands of Time (An original Xbox game) last weekend on my Xbox One for a recent example.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I read that the huge drop of BC games is likely to be the last drop Microsoft does, due to the rest of the games being held up by rights/trademark issues. There's some big games that never got in there but they're mostly licensed games like Spider-man.

Quick question: how much time do you actually spend playing BC games? Sony's approach to legacy content is "nobody really plays old stuff" while Nintendo has made it central to their Switch Online plan. I'm curious if people engage with old games when they're "given away for free" versus just being enabled on the latest hardware but you need to own/buy them yourself.

To be perfectly honest I never play BC content on my Series X, or 360 for that matter. I know I'm in the minority (especially those that even care about old games) but I play all games on their dedicated console.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

I follow wario64 and others who broadcast when drops will happen.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The addition of Lego Lord of the Rings was really exciting. I've been waiting for this a while. (You can't buy it digitally from the storefront or the website, but I ordered a disc online.) Also, I was playing Elder Scrolls: Oblivion with Dolby Vision and FPS boost. It feels like a remaster. Also tried out Halo Multiplayer this week, and as someone who doesn't like competitive shooters, I had a blast.

I love all my consoles, but Xbox has been my go-to lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks