What's new

The Xbox Series X, Holiday 2020 (3 Viewers)

Edwin-S

Premium
What kind of dumbass would blow smoke from a vape stick into a 500 dollar console that is going to be like hen's teeth to find for the foreseeable future?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Picked mine up this morning and hooked it up. Played a little bit of Gears 5. Wish there was a true next gen day one title.
Kind of why I want a PS5 also. I'm way too spoiled when it comes to video games. I want everything.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I ordered from Best Buy and got a second Steelbook free.
Kind of cool. I don't know which I like better.
IMG_2299.JPG

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know if Microsoft plans on having more units available any time soon? I know they sold extremely well but it seems like they're just completely gone while PS5s keep randomly popping up.

Edwin-S

Premium
I wish MS had done something to clean up the identifying nomenclature for their consoles. I just find their alphabet soup branding of XBOX One, XBOX One X, XBOX series X, XBOX series S to be too similar and easy to mix up generation-wise. At least Sony's boring method of just changing the numeral lets one know immediately that 5 is the new generation without interpreting a word jumble.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When Xbox Series S/X preorders went live, Xbox One X sales on Amazon skyrocketed...most likely from people accidentally buying the wrong console.

I actually think using S and X to denote different tiers isn't a bad branding strategy but people seem to not realize that the current generation is "Xbox" and the two options are the "Series X" and "Series S." I see a lot of stuff online with people calling it the "Series" consoles.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wish MS had done something to clean up the identifying nomenclature for their consoles. I just find their alphabet soup branding of XBOX One, XBOX One X, XBOX series X, XBOX series S to be too similar and easy to mix up generation-wise. At least Sony's boring method of just changing the numeral lets one know immediately that 5 is the new generation without interpreting a word jumble.

They could have called the current gen the "sugar cookie" and I would have been happy. Going back the days of the 360, I have always hated the name brands of their consoles. Especially now with the S, and X.

Not that the PS5 name is much better.

If Sega still made consoles they'd still be releasing them with cool names.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The PlayStation 5 is boring but at least you can walk into a store and immediately know what you're buying.

Send a parent to a store to buy the latest Xbox and see how easily they figure out that the Xbox One X for $300 with a disc drive and 1 TB of storage is somehow inferior to the Xbox Series S without a disc drive and only 500 GB of storage.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ok what the hell is Network update? It took me 9 solid hours to download one freaking games because of a 70GB "network" update for Dirt 5 (The disc was 5.9 GB). Not happy at all about this.

Edwin-S

Premium
Yeah, and I don't even know what it was for. I could find zero info on "network update" of a game on disc anywhere online.
What defines a "network update"? Absolutely nothing. At 70GB, it was probably the whole game being downloaded. It is why I have stopped buying physical copies. The disc just ends up as a key. Most of the game ends up being downloaded just like digital copy, except now you have to use the CD as a key every time you want to play it. I just skip it and go directly to a digital download. No CD "key" required.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So, my thoughts on the Series X.

-Cold War is buggy, not sure what the deal is. Gameplay is fine, and flawless. Setup menu for custom game with bots is sketchy, and disappointing. No fix yet.

-At twenty minutes in I cursed myself for buying "Like A Dragon" (Usually not my type of game), and three hours in I cursed myself for thinking of selling it. Brilliant story, and the story really makes the game worthwhile. Those that say the difference between 4K HDR, and standard 1080P on this game is minimal are doing something wrong.

-Dirt 5 is lots of racing fun, the HDR is amazing.

-AC Valhalla is wonderful, and beautiful crisp graphics. Gameplay is smooth, and easy to learn.
HDR is jaw dropping-going from the inside of a dim, fire lit cottage to going outside with the sun shining bright over the snow is an experience that made me proud to own the Series X.

I guess the thing that has impressed me the most has been the HDR. I turned it off on my PS4 when it was implemented nearly four years ago because I found so many crushed blacks that It would hinder gameplay on a couple games for me. Boy is that not an issue anymore.

The HDR on these new batch of games for the Series X is exemplary. Seriously much better than 95% of the 4K movies I own. Very impressive. Which makes me even more excited to see how it is implemented in future games. The sound is also great. I'm running 5.1.4, setup, and I'm getting my money worth in that department as well.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
So, my thoughts on the Series X.

Isn't Valhalla amazing, graphically speaking? I know people are hit-and-miss on the actual game, but some of the vistas are jaw-dropping. (Personally, I'm enjoying it. It's not nearly as overwhelming as Origins and Odyssey.)

I only have a 4K/60hz TV, but it has wonderful HDR support. I'm looking forward to trying out the backward compatibility improvements.

Definitely want to pick up a Series X, but will probably wait until next year. I'm done playing the online stock lottery for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoBueno