The Xbox Series X, Holiday 2020

Mike2001

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Never mind. I got pre-order this time. It just refuses to add it to the cart. Same thing happened at Target earlier. Walmart still says “coming soon” for me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Not that I care, but it is interesting that on E-Bay scalpers are getting $200-$300 more for the Series X, than the PS5 disc version pre-orders overall.

the people foolish enough to buy those units are trending higher for the Xbox system. Weird.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The best thing that could happen for the bot-run scalping system is for no one to buy from the scalpers. If everyone could hold off just another month, all those scalpers with tens, or hundreds or millions of dollars of high-interest, short-term debt in game consoles they can't sell...soon the problem gets fixed as they drop prices to unload and attemp to cover their losses.

But collective action is hard. And people are desparate for a tech-fueled dopamine rush in this #2020.

Reactions: Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The best thing that could happen for the bot-run scalping system is for no one to buy from the scalpers. If everyone could hold off just another month, all those scalpers with tens, or hundreds or millions of dollars of high-interest, short-term debt in game consoles they can't sell...soon the problem gets fixed as they drop prices to unload and attemp to cover their losses.

But collective action is hard. And people are desparate for a tech-fueled dopamine rush in this #2020.
Don't we wish. "Panic buying" will always be around. What makes it 100 X worse is that these items get released right around the Christmas season. The perfect gift. it is "Tickle Me Elmo" all over again.

Could be worse though... I still remember the launch of the PS3 units were being scalped for $4-6K on E-Bay, and selling at those insane prices.
E-Bay ended up putting a "Cap" on price of the units being sold because it caused so much outrage.

Reactions: DaveF

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Funny, but I don't see it happening. :)

The commonly cited reason people raise for why Microsoft allegedly would want Sega is to rebrand their console in Japan using the Sega name (It's certainly not their current console output that MS would be paying the big bucks to secure). Yet I find it hard to believe that a Sega branded console in Japan would perform miracles for the Xbox line.

And heck, except for the Saturn which had a very narrow lead in 2nd place over the Nintendo 64, Sega never had a huge hit in Japan. Even the Megadrive got taken to the cleaners by the PC Engine by a huge margin in Japan. So why would Japanese gamers be clamoring for a Sega Xbox for?

Furthermore, Japan is a relatively small country and a small market. We tend to place more importance on Japan than is warranted commercially due to their traditionally very prominent role in the industry itself. Not to mention that it's a market that has been in a nose dive for many years now where dedicated console sales are concerned (It's mobile gaming that the Japanese market has drifted towards or in the case of the hybrid Switch platform, "mobile capable" gaming).

Back around 2005, Microsoft thought they needed Japanese gamers on the 360 if they were to secure a comparable level of attention from Japanese developers and publishers as Sony has enjoyed. That failed, yet history has shown it isn't even necessary with success in the west enough to get the desired industry attention.

Are they going to spend big to maybe sell 5 million units a generation to Japanese gamers? I doubt it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There's a new rumor that Microsoft is effectively going to pay a huge amount of money to Japanese development companies to get their games to launch on GamePass to try and sell xCloud in Japan. They won't, for example, buy out Sega or Konami but they will pay a ton for those games to be "free" on GamePass when they release.

Regarding scalpers and bots, I would love to see Best Buy, Walmart, Target, GameStop, etc. go through all of their preorders and remove the ones that were purchased for resales. I think that's the only way to actually end this.

EDIT: Also, looking at that video of the One X vs. Series X loading times, I'm actually surprised that it takes THAT LONG to load on a Series X. The PS5 press releases talk a lot about how quick stuff loads and one launch game (I forget which one, I think a digital indie game) had an interview with the developers where they said the game loaded so fast on PS5 that they didn't even end up using their "loading" graphics. MS has talked about how SSD tech on Series X sped up loading times but that still seemed slow.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
It bugs me how much things like improved previous-gen performance appeals to me. Really makes me wish I had held out on playing Control because of how annoying the loading/hiccups/etc were.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It bugs me how much things like improved previous-gen performance appeals to me. Really makes me wish I had held out on playing Control because of how annoying the loading/hiccups/etc were.
One of the reasons I quit playing Control, and Forza Horizon 4 (Sea of Thieves as well) was the dreadful loading times on the "One S". I'm serious when I say it was like a 4-6 minutes from loading the game to playing the game. Unforgiveable for modern gaming.

I can't wait to play the Series X, and first game I'm going to sample is Minecraft. Go ahead make fun of me "How old are you...10?" I've heard it all before.

Reactions: Sam Posten

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Industrious