The Xbox Series X, Holiday 2020

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's a bit of a conundrum. How can multiplatform third party games reach platform parity while still taking advantage of unique tech and features? For example, will a game really run and play that much better on Series X than PS5 if it's on both? Will it really have better load times on PS5 but better ray tracing on Series X? Or will it basically play the same on both? In my experience, the only games that really push the limits on a given platform are the exclusives, which is why there's a bit more emphasis on them.

Also, if I'm going to pick which $400-500 box I want to buy, I'd like to know what makes it a better choice than the other options. Features like more raw power or faster HDD access speeds or neat controller features are part of that but those features mean squat if they're not actually being used in the games. How many multiplatform Switch games even tried to use the HD rumble? How many Xbox 360/PS3 games used the PS3's gyro controller aiming?

If you aren't a fan of Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo's exclusive franchises then obviously that part of it doesn't make much of a difference. But if you are interested in really seeing how the capabilities of a particular console will be utilized then you need to look at the exclusives.

For the next generation, I think Sony has already put together a great show piece for what the PS5 can do with Ratchet and Clank (which is a launch-window game). With the Xbox Series X, Microsoft hasn't really come up with a big show piece because their internal studios are mostly making cross-gen games and they're not complete enough to show off.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Don't know the hard release date for any of these, but these are the games that have me excited for PS5:

Resident Evil: Village
Spiderman: Miles Morales
Gran Turismo 7
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Demon's Souls
Horizon II: Forbidden West

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm honestly not super excited about ray tracing (which is odd since I'm an optical engineer and half of my job is tracing light rays) but it's still neat to see computers getting to the point where it's considered a standard next-gen feature.

That said...they couldn't get something a little more impressive than Minecraft to demo it?

Rumor is that the Series S is going to be more like an Xbox One X 2 without a disc drive, push games to only 1080p or up-res 4k, and still support RTX. That would be interesting to see.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm honestly not super excited about ray tracing (which is odd since I'm an optical engineer and half of my job is tracing light rays) but it's still neat to see computers getting to the point where it's considered a standard next-gen feature.

That said...they couldn't get something a little more impressive than Minecraft to demo it?
I think that the Minecraft demo was to take a very simplistic looking game, and how much the ray tracing can enhance it.

I'm impressed with it.

Reactions: LeoA and Sam Posten

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Didn't they already try to do that with Minecraft a few years ago with the 'Super Duper" graphics pack that ended up being vaporware? I guess they actually have the power now to make it happen.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
So what is your next gen system of choice later this year? PS5, or the series X? Both?

I'm going with the X.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
PS5 because it has more exclusive stuff at/near launch I want.

Xbox Series X possibly in the future, mostly so it can be a full-legacy-Xbox device (I never got a One and missed out on a handful of games I'm interested in).

Still waiting for MS to officially announce the Series S. Seems like a weird choice to wait this long, unless the point is to treat it as a One X replacement and not really a next-gen device.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Until one of the two blinks and finally pins down a release date, price point, and other details for launches that are supposed to be happening in the next three months, I'm starting to think they're both yanking our chain and these aren't real. :)

In all seriousness though, they both seem terrified to go first. Going to be a mighty expensive generation if they're both so scared of being the first to confirm details that they're instead crippled by inaction, too scared that the other will respond by undercutting their price significantly if they're first out the door with concrete information.

I used to think $499 would be top dollar. Now I'm thinking $499 may be too conservative. I just hope they reach sane territory down the road. Both Sony and Microsoft have basically killed the traditional model of dropping the MSRP through the life of a system, instead favoring hardware refreshes, larger storage capacities, and new extras like game bundles and subscriptions to justify keeping MSRP's high.

I hope we return to real and substantial price points (And don't have to settle for crippled versions, like the rumored lack of an optical disc drive with the Xbox Series S).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Leo - I think the Series X is probably going to be like $500-600, the Series S is going to be like $300, and the PS5 is going to be around $400-500 (digital edition $50-100 cheaper). Nobody is announcing their price and release date yet because they want to build up the excitement for fans to hear it and I doubt that they'll be able to undercut each other at this point. Most likely, we'll see some neat pack-ins like PS5 getting another Playroom game or Xbox Series X|S getting some free GamePass stuff.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
There's no way that the Playstation 5 is going to be $400. I'm quite confident $500 at the bare minimum for a non-crippled PS5 SKU.

No news just weeks away from launch isn't a way to build excitement. These two systems are going to be very expensive and they're both terrified that if they come out first and quote an honest MSRP, that the other will then decide to take a big loss on each system sold in order to undercut them.

If they weren't, they'd both be out there knocking on doors, wanting to show off every aspect of their new system to generate excitement. Silence doesn't do that.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yeah they're already taking a huge loss I'm sure before even deducting any amount to undercut the other team. Hell just the graphics cards alone is in the $500+ range before adding anything else for the system.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swolgenixpills